Jeter Expects Clemens to Play in 2007

Quote:
Source: AP

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Yankees captain Derek Jeter expects Roger Clemens to pitch this season. He just doesn't know where the ace might wind up.

"The only thing I'll say about Rocket is he hasn't decided if he's going to come back yet. If you ask me what I think, I would think he would," Jeter said Tuesday after a pre-spring training workout.

Clemens has said he would not make a decision on returning for a 24th major league season until sometime after spring training. He took a similar approach last year and didn't make his season debut with Houston until June 22.

Plagued by poor run support, Clemens went 7-6 with a 2.30 ERA over 19 starts last season.

The Yankees, Astros and Boston are the top three contenders should the seven-time Cy Young winner pitch in 2007. The 44-year-old righty was part of two World Series championship teams during a five-year stint with the Yankees from 1999-2003.

"I don't have to sell him on New York," Jeter said.

Jeter hasn't talked recently with longtime teammate Bernie Williams, who has been considering a minor-league contract and spring training invite from New York. Jeter said "it would be strange" to play without the veteran outfielder, who made his Yankees debut in 1991.

"I hope he comes back," Jeter said.

Notes: Jeter took batting practice with C Jorge Posada and INF Miguel Cairo. ... Japanese LHP Kei Igawa had a long toss session during his first early workout at the Yankees' spring training complex.