Originally Posted By: Irishman12
Rivera's future is uncertain

TAMPA -- Mariano Rivera acknowledged the absence of longtime teammate Bernie Williams on Monday, calling it "strange."
Could players be saying the same thing about the Yankees closer one year from now? Rivera's commitment to the team expires after 2007, and while he said he would love to retire in New York, he realizes that scenario is not yet certain.

"Definitely, I want to finish my career here," Rivera said. "But if they don't give me the respect that I deserve, [if] I have to move on, I have to move on. The Yankees always give me respect. When it comes to these times, I don't like to talk about it."

Rivera -- with Williams' apparent parting, now the longest-tenured Yankees big leaguer -- met the media near the front entrance of the Yankees' Minor League complex, his words draped by the background of passing traffic.

Though he appears to have given some thought to his baseball fate, Rivera insisted that he is not upset. Rivera's focus, he said, remains on helping the 2007 Yankees accomplish their goal of a World Series championship.

That mission begins Tuesday, as pitchers and catchers officially report to Legends Field. As Rivera noted, he is under contract with the team, and would not let any uncertainty concerning his future creep into his current obligations.

"I'm not that kind of player," Rivera said. "I play for the team. I'm a team player. I don't have to think about that stuff."

The Yankees have not made overtures to Rivera's agent, Fernando Cuza, regarding an extension of the two-year, $21 million contract that will expire after this season.

Rivera said he would be receptive to discussing an extension with the team -- "If they want to talk, we'd be willing to listen," he said -- but the closer noted he did not plan on initiating conversations.

"Like I said, this is a business," Rivera said. "If they have somebody who can do a job better than I do, they will do it. So I don't have to worry about those things. When the time comes, if they want me back, they want me back.

"Otherwise, I'm not going to sit in my house crying. I'd have to move on."

Finding a successor to Rivera's throne would be difficult. A lifetime Yankee who signed with the organization in February 1990 and grew to become generally regarded as one of the top closers of all time, Rivera posted a 1.80 ERA over 63 appearances last season, including 34 saves in 37 opportunities.

Rivera said he had refrained from throwing for much of the offseason and that he has no concerns about his elbow, which was rested last September in preparation for the club's abbreviated postseason entry.

Clearly, at some point, Rivera acknowledged that his years of service in the Major Leagues will be complete. He needed no more glaring reminder of that than the fact that Williams' No. 51 will apparently go unused this spring.

"My body is ready to go," Rivera said. "Definitely, this is not going to be forever, but I'm going to do as much as I can and enjoy."

Source: Yankees

The Bernie situation is totally different from the Rivera situation. Bernie has been consistently dropping in ability (and ultimately, usefulness) to the team over the past few years. Consequently, it was no surprise that he earned only 1-year deals, since it was unsure of how much he'd deteriorate over time.

Rivera has shown no signs of slowing down whatsoever. The Yankees realize this. It is a no brainer. There is nothing to worry about. Cashman will pay Rivera what he wants, and he will finish his career in pinstripes. Period. Then they can retire #42 for the Yankees (besides for JR) and Rivera will go to the HoF.

Bernie is in the unfortunate situation that his superb fielding ability is hindered by his increasing lack of movement, and poor first-break. He is now an emergency outfielder at best, and a DH at worst. The Yankees, for reasons I've explained, can't fit him on the roster in their current mind set. I don't necessarily agree, but that's how it is.

Rivera still has at least 3-4 years left in the tank. The Yankees are still trying to figure out who his successor will be...will it come from within? It could be Jose Veras, J. Brent Cox, or even Scott Proctor? Or will it come from the outside, like Francisco Rodriguez from the Angels, who becomes a free agent after 2007?