Yankees Notebook: Hughes Not Making Pitch For Rotation, Pettitte Says Clemens Will Play in 2007

Quote:
Source: NJ Star-Ledger

BY ED PRICE
February 15th, 2007

TAMPA, Fla. -- Here's who isn't hyping Phil Hughes: Phil Hughes.

Hughes -- he prefers Phil to Philip -- is regarded as one of baseball's top pitching prospects. And even though Yankees executive Mark Newman recently gave Hughes a shot at making the roster out of spring training, Hughes yesterday downplayed that chance.

"I'm not coming in here aggressively, like, fighting for a rotation spot," he said, "because there's not one really open. It's just one of those things where I can come in, get ready for the season and then go from there."

Asked about Newman's comment, a nonplused Hughes said, "You can't really rule anybody out for any spot."

The projected rotation includes Chien-Ming Wang, Mike Mussina, Andy Pettitte, Kei Igawa and Carl Pavano. But as manager Joe Torre has pointed out, four of those five have had recent health issues. (And the fifth, Igawa, has never pitched in the U.S.)

Hughes, a right-hander who turns 21 in June, split last year between Class-A Tampa and Double-A Trenton. In 21 starts for the Thunder, he was 10-3 with a 2.25 ERA, striking out 138 while allowing 73 hits in 116 innings.

Concerned about his workload -- Hughes, a first-round pick in 2004, entered last season with just 91 1/3 pro innings -- the Yankees handled him gingerly down the stretch. Hughes was allowed to pitch no more than five innings in each of his final 11 starts, including being removed Aug. 24 without having allowed a hit.

Andy Pettitte said he expects Roger Clemens to pitch this season but won't be lobbying Clemens to rejoin the Yankees.

"Usually when me and Roger get together, Roger talks," Pettitte said upon reporting to camp. "There's nothing I've got to say. He knows how I feel about him, I know how he feels about me, and really that's it. He knows whoever he adds himself to, he'll be an unbelievable help to the team."

Clemens, who will turn 45 in August, has said if he pitches this year it will be for the Yankees, Boston Red Sox or Houston Astros.

Pettitte underwent elbow surgery in 2004 and, because of the elbow, seriously considered retirement before signing with the Yankees (two years, $32 million guaranteed, with 2008 a player option).

Judging by his comments yesterday, Pettitte seems to feel the elbow will always be a concern.

"I just try to get out there, you know what I'm saying?" he said. "I just try to get out on the mound and make my starts. Whether I feel bad or good, however my elbow feels, really doesn't matter. Whatever I've got that day, I just go with it.

"I feel good, and I feel like I'm going to be strong and I'm going to hold up. Or I wouldn't have done this."

General manager Brian Cashman said that because of the surgery, Pettitte's elbow was judged to be in better shape now than when he left after the 2003 season.

"The elbow is something he's had to deal with for quite some time," Cashman said. "There is risk associated with him. ... I don't think anybody can tell you that he's definitely going down or that he won't go down again."

Right-hander Ross Ohlendorf, acquired from Arizona in the Randy Johnson deal, said his younger brother, Chad, will follow in his footsteps and pitch for Princeton.