Pavano undergoes tests on foot

TAMPA, Fla. -- Carl Pavano was asked to undergo further testing on his left foot on Sunday, and the Yankees right-hander didn't need to ask twice for directions.

"Oh, I knew exactly where to go," said Pavano, who went for an MRI and X-rays at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa. "I've been there the last couple of springs."

Pavano was hit on the instep of his left foot by a batted ball while pitching in live batting practice on Saturday. One day later, the 31-year-old right-hander said there was no swelling and no bruising, just general tightness.

"It feels better than it did this morning," Pavano said. "I iced it a couple of times. I'm not really too alarmed."

The oft-injured right-hander -- who has missed the last 1 1/2 Major League seasons due to a variety of injuries -- said he wasn't holding his breath over the results of the examinations.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman left the complex before speaking to reporters, but sent word through spokesman Jason Zillo that the team would not have Pavano's results until Monday.

"I'm not really too concerned about the tests," Pavano said. "I think it was really just for precautions. I think, with the progress I made from walking out last night to today, I'm not really expecting anything."

Pavano did not work out at the Yankees' complex on Sunday. Yankees manager Joe Torre had originally planned to use Pavano in an intrasquad scrimmage on Tuesday, but now said that the hurler's status is "up in the air."

"He had his shoe on," Torre said. "All of that is a good sign. We just kept him away from running [Sunday]."

Pavano said that he felt he would be ready to pitch by Tuesday, pointing to a 2005 incident in which he was similarly hit and rebounded to make his next start.

"We're going to see how it feels [Monday]," Pavano said. "If it keeps making this progress, I don't see it being a problem at all."

Source: Yankees