Igawa's Efficient Effort Looks Good To Yankees

Quote:
Source: Lower-Hudson Journal

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Yankees spend little time in spring training concerned with the Boston Red Sox. There will be enough energy spent on that once the season starts. Too much, really.

But any snippet of news about new Boston starter Daisuke Matsuzaka quickly makes the rounds. Like the rest of baseball, the Yankees were amazed to hear about his 103-pitch bullpen session last week.

They wonder aloud about whether he really throws a gyroball. Even his wife, a voluptuous television announcer, makes news.

"You hear a lot of stories about him," first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz said. "It's like he's Paul Bunyan."

The other new Japanese pitcher in the American League East, Kei Igawa, is not the stuff of myth and intrigue. The only amazing thing he has ever done is stay up all night playing video games.

But the Yankees seem to like the left-hander just fine. Igawa made a low-key debut Tuesday, pitching two strong innings in an intrasquad game before a few thousand fans at Legends Field.

"Go out, have a little fun and get your work done," pitching coach Ron Guidry told Igawa before he faced a lineup of minor-leaguers.

Igawa's first pitch was drag bunted for a single by outfielder Brett Gardner. But he got Bronson Sardinha to ground into a double play. Three more grounders and a popup followed.

Igawa finished his two innings having thrown only 19 pitches, 14 for strikes. Matsuzaka probably throws 19 pitches as he brushes his teeth, but the Yankees were pleased with Igawa.

"That was great; it was no struggle. It was a good outing for him," Guidry said. "I know the game didn't mean anything, but it meant a lot to us just to watch him throw so we can familiarize ourselves with how he goes about his work. ... What we looked for is what we got."

Igawa threw fastballs, sliders and change-ups to Jorge Posada. He didnt use his curveball often in Japan, but the Yankees are encouraging him to develop it. Matsuzaka also is talking with Andy Pettitte about his cutter.

"I was not nervous, but I was definitely excited," said Igawa, who will start Monday's game against Detroit at Legends Field. "It was the first time he (Posada) and I worked together. I will continue to learn from him."

The Yankees have Igawa lined up to be their No. 5 starter, but that could change depending on whether Carl Pavano can stay on his feet. Regardless of where he sits in the rotation, Guidry believes Igawa can be effective.

"I think he's going to help, yeah," Guidry said. "Here's a guy who's been averaging 200 innings over there in Japan. He can do that here, too. That's all you want, a guy who can go out every five days."

Said Joe Torre: "He's very efficient. There are no wasted motions. He's very compact, and he goes after it. That's a sign of knowing what you want to do."

Igawa played Tuesday for the Yogi Berra Team. He was asked whether he knew who the Hall of Famer was. After a quick translation, he smiled.

"I saw him in the pictures," Igawa said. "I have heard that he won 10 World Series."