Originally posted by weran_everything:
What do you think would of happened?

if that seemed ridiculous, maybe i was just thinking into too much.
That doesn't seem ridiculous at all. As GF obsessed, we love to (over)speculate. Honestly some members tend to push it to the limit of sanity sometimes... tongue but it's not your case (yet! wink ).

Now back to Sonny. I totally agree with you about him. I like the character, I mean who doesn't? James Caan is so amazing in the role you cannot help liking that hotblooded guy. Anyway, if he had lived longer, the whole plot would have been way less interesting from a dramatic point of view IMO. The mere fact that Michael had to be involved in the family business and give up all of his previous plans of living a life by himself, fulfilling himself as a totally different human being from his father and family, adds a tremendous dramatic impact to the plot, at least from a psychological POV. Sonny, who wanted to be the Don, didn't live enough for it. Michael, who had no real will to be the Don, was obliged to become the Don and lived enough to see all the tragedies connected with this.
A doomed destiny in both cases.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)