Do The Yankees Have The Next Manny?

Quote:
Source: Newsday

BY KAT O'BRIEN

March 8, 2007, 8:32 PM EST

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Yankees outfield prospect Jose Tabata is only 18 years old. Yet his talent and potential have led scouts to liken him to a young Manny Ramirez.

Even general manager Brian Cashman had to stop himself from drawing that comparison when he was asked which major-leaguer Tabata has the potential to be like.

"In fairness to the kid, he's just got to continue to make his own name," Cashman said. "He's got high-end ability. I won't say [Ramirez] pops into my mind. That's what I keep hearing other people say about him. There's only one Manny. A guy like Manny comes along, it seems, like once every 40 years. It'd be nice to say that you've got another one on the way, but it would be disrespectful to someone of Manny's abilities."

Tabata himself has heard the "Baby Manny" talk. He appreciates the compliment but would rather do what Cashman advised and make his own name.

"It's nice for them to say you have talent like a superstar," Tabata said in Spanish, "but I feel like I have my own identity. I want to be myself."

Invited to major league spring training for the first time, Tabata was given a locker next to fellow Venezuelan Bobby Abreu. The hope is that Tabata will learn from being around the established big-leaguers even though he will begin the year at high Class A Tampa.

Abreu and Mariano Rivera both praised their teenaged teammate. Abreu said, "This is the first time that I met him, but I've heard a lot of good things about him. I'm just trying to give him the best advice I can."

Rivera, who takes many young Spanish-speaking players under his wing, said, "He's a great kid. He's come highly recommended. I spoke to him, just always reinforcing to work hard and stay humble. That will help him go a long way."

Tabata's outward demeanor is confident but not too much so. The muscular outfielder has his hair cut in a curly approximation of Derek Jeter's -- shaved on the sides but longer on top -- and he grins when Jeter jokes with him on his way to the clubhouse. He acts respectful but not intimidated by the stars' presence.

"I was born without nerves, thanks to God," Tabata said. "I'm always cool."

One day, Tabata expects to be among the all-stars. His early minor league career indicates he will be. In his professional debut with the Rookie League Yankees in 2005, he hit .314 with 25 RBIs, 30 runs scored and 22 steals in 44 games. At Class A Charleston last year, he hit .298 with 51 RBIs and 50 runs scored in 86 games despite missing significant time with a left thumb injury. Tabata played in the All-Star Futures Game, which was televised in Venezuela, and he said his parents, Milvio and Divisai, were "so happy that they cried from their joy."

Tabata signed with the Yankees on his 16th birthday, picking them over the Phillies, Mariners, Pirates, Dodgers and his favorite childhood team, the Red Sox. He's all Yankee now, he insists.

Though learning English has been a challenge, Tabata says, he likes life in the United States. He finds it calmer. He does miss his mom's cooking, especially chicken with rice and beans, so he is looking forward to his parents' first trip to the United States later this month.

By then, Tabata likely will be on the minor league side of camp, though he is hitting .400 (4-for-10) so far in Grapefruit League play.

"He's a big, strong guy that just has a great look about him," Joe Torre said. "The little I've seen of him I like."

Most scouts seem to concur. Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus both named Tabata the second-best Yankees prospect (behind Phil Hughes), and Baseball America ranked him the No. 27 prospect in all of baseball.

Just wait, though. Tabata has more in mind.

His career goals? "To get to the major leagues," he said, "and to decide a game in the World Series."