Wang injures right hamstring

BRADENTON, Fla. -- The Yankees' pitching rotation endured another scare on Friday as right-hander Chien-Ming Wang experienced discomfort in his right hamstring during conditioning drills at Legends Field in Tampa, Fla.

Wang, 27, was running lightly at the complex when he "felt something," according to general manager Brian Cashman, who relayed word of Wang's situation to reporters in Bradenton.

Speaking after the Yankees' 3-2 loss to the Pirates, manager Joe Torre characterized the injury as a cramp. Wang, who was shut down for the afternoon and is expected to address reporters in Tampa on Saturday, was not sent for additional tests.

"He had a cramp, that's all I got out of it," Torre said. "I've had no emergency calls."

A candidate to pitch on Opening Day on April 2 in the Bronx, Wang was the runner-up in last season's American League Cy Young Award vote in 2006 and tied for first in the league with 19 victories.

The injury scare is the second this week for the Yankees, who also sidelined left-hander Andy Pettitte with back spasms. Pettitte felt the injury while performing squat exercises on Monday and received treatment on Tuesday.

The 34-year-old had originally been scheduled to pitch on Friday, but the southpaw instead only permitted to throw softly and stretch with the team at Legends Field.

"I'm feeling better every day," Pettitte said. "I convinced them enough where I can play light catch."

Source: Yankees