So, the Yankees bats finally come through, and in a big way. We've been waiting for a game like this all season long, and it couldn't have come at a better time - with a rookie on the mound - and against one of the better teams in the AL. If they can keep the ball rolling, it will be good momentum against the Red Sox in the series later this week.

---

Chase Wright who? Yeah. He's definitely above Philip Hughes in my book...he has the control, and the nasty strikeout pitches, to be a very effective major league pitcher. Granted, this was the first time that these hitters have seen him, but he did a good job to not get rattled.

Can we dump Pavano if this kid has a few more decent starts?

---

Daisuke Matsuzaka doesn't have spot-on control? What the fuck? No. It can't be. Hell has frozen over. Peter Gammons uterus has shriveled up. There shall be no Dice-K love child.

He had 10 strikeouts against the Blue Jays last night, but still managed to lose to...not Roy Halladay...not AJ Burnett...but Gustavo Chacin. There is no denying that Dice-K has filthy stuff. But he is also a walk machine in spots, since most MLB hitters are more patient than Japanese league hitters (which is why Matsui was so good there and had little problem adapting here).

I'm excited to face him, particularly if we have an Igawa-Matsuzaka face off. I'd rather see Wang, but since he's still DL'ed, that's the next best thing.

---

Who expected Mike Myers to be tied with an ML-leading ERA of 0.00? Is he on steroids or something (no longer a facetious comment in today's baseball, unfortunately)? Seriously though, he has developed into our left-handed setup man. It's amazing what happens when he isn't used as the LOOGY, and is used as a traditional lefty reliever in late innings.

---

It appears Jeff Karstens will get the start for the Yankees Saturday against the Red Sox. He had 3 hits, 5 strikeouts, and a walk over four innings in a rehab start for Class A Tampa. From what I've read, and what Torre has indicated, it looks like they're confident he can jump right back in and get the job done. Clearly, given the depth of the Yankees minor leagues, it says something that Torre is willing to give Karstens the nod.

---

Matsui is back and should be rolling as he makes some Class-A rehab starts this week. He seems to be progressing well, and should be back with the big club next week Monday against the Devil Rays.

---

Derek Jeter had a near webgem last night. His defense this season has you on a rollercoaster ride - it seems like plays he used to make in his sleep are like differential calculus, while the Gold Glove efforts are still as gorgeous as ever. What gives? Did he accidentally grab A-Rod's cup from the water cooler?

---

Igawa spelled backwards is 2winsinarowfortheYanks.