Originally Posted By: Double-J

---

I don't want Don Mattingly as the coach.

Why?

Because he's from the Joe Torre school. We need a manager with fire, at least for the forseable future. One thing this team has lacked is passion over the past few years, and I think Girardi could light a fire under his guys better than Torre.

That's probably because he comes from the Don Zimmer school of thought, which may hurt his chances of becoming manager - Steinbrenner dislikes Zim, and by proxy, probably would favor Mattingly over Girardi for the nod.

---

Johnny Damon is seeing a chiropractor. Okay. Now, he has to fly down to Florida to see this guy. Now, to paraphrase Mike Francesca (profanity is mine)...This chiropractor isn't fucking Jonas Salk...bring this fucking asshole to the Four Seasons before the Red Sox series, have him fix Damon up, and give me a fucking break.

While I'm not necessarily in favor of canning Torre (if I were a Yankee fan), I remember when the Yankees hired him, my reaction was that they were getting a retread. I remember him managing in the NL with the Mets,Braves and Cardinals with very limited success. Although he managed for 12-15 years there I don't think he was ever regarded as a top manager even though he caught lightning in a bottle one year and won the NL West with Atlanta.

I thought part of the reason for his immediate success in 1996 was that he brought a National League style of baseball to the AL. Sure the Yankees made the play-offs with Showalter and had a young, strong nucleus of talent maturing, but I think more than his predecessors, he emphasized pitching and defense. I believe the team took more walks, stole more and basically forced the action. He is an extremely likeable guy, who was an all-star player, which made it easy for the young and upcoming Jeters, Posadas, Williamses, Pettites and Riveras to admire him, buy into his system and play hard for him. The hallmark of those Yankee teams was that there were no stars, just contributors.

At the zenith of their success around 2000, they cut loose Tino Martinez to sign Giambi and Mussina at a salary only the Yankees could afford. They had already reached out for Clemens. In following years they signed Randy Johnson and Gary Sheffield and Alex Rodriguez, all high priced, high maintenance athletes, who, given their super star status, were less impressionable and impressed by Torre.

Could it therefore be said that Torre's influence as a manager is more suited to a younger team and that his approach to the game is incompatible with the approach of a high priced all-star team? It is ironic that the Yankees have had more individual talent in recent years than they had in the late-90s, but haven't achieved at the same level. Anyway, that's just a thought.

I agree that Mattingly wouldn't be a good fit as manager just the way I feel Cal Ripken wouldn't make a good manager. While both guys gave everything on the field, they both struck me as more introspective than outgoing.

When the time comes to replace Torre, I also agree that a more emotional guy will be picked (although some might suggest there are corpses more emotional than Joe). I don't know if it's for the better.

I think Torre's greatest achievement in 12 seasons with the Yankees is his firm maintenance of his even , professional, calm demeanor in the face of dealing with Steinbrenner, the cavalcade of egos and the rabid press. He's the same guy he was in 1995. While Piniella and Girardi may be able to achieve some level of success there, I don't know that they can endure for long in the Bronx.

I'm also amused by Damon going to Florida to see a chiropractor. That's like driving 60 miles to go to a particular McDonald's. ;\)