Originally Posted By: Irishman12
Report: Yanks may void Giambi's contract

After Jason Giambi admitted he "was wrong for doing that stuff" in a recent newspaper report, his current employers may reconsider whether they were wrong to give the slugger a seven-year, $120 million contract in 2001.

According to a report in the New York Daily News, Giambi's admission in Friday's USA Today could lead to the Yankees trying again to void his contract if it is ultimately determined that he used illegal drugs after signing him to the deal.

The commissioner's office is investigating Giambi's comments and is expected to summon him to a meeting to discuss them. According to the Daily News, the outcome of that meeting will determine in part how the Yankees proceed.

Giambi told USA Today "what we should have done a long time ago was stand up — players, owners, everybody — and said: 'We made a mistake.' We should have apologized back then and made sure we had a rule in place and gone forward. ... Steroids and all of that was a part of history. But it was a topic that everybody wanted to avoid. Nobody wanted to talk about it."

Giambi had not previously admitted (at least publicly) using steroids. The closest he had come was an unspecific apology during a Yankee Stadium press conference after the San Francisco Chronicle reported that Giambi had told the grand jury investigating the BALCO case that he had used steroids and human growth hormone before signing with the Yankees and while playing for them in 2002 and 2003.

The Yankees had considered ending Giambi's deal after that report surfaced in late 2004.

The first baseman/DH's salary is $21 million for this season and 2008, and the Yanks hold an $22 million option for 2009 with a $5 million buyout clause.

Source: FOX Sports

I highly doubt this move would happen at all, but if it does, it wouldn't happen this season. Everyone and their brother knows that the Yankees will be pushing insanely hard for Texas' Mark Texiera, who idolized former Yankee first baseman Don Mattingly (idolizing him wearing his #23), and who wants to play for the Yankees. He'll be an unrestricted free agent after this season. Not only can he hit for power, but he plays Gold Glove caliber defense as well, something we haven't had for quite some time. Anybody whose swing is compared to Gehrig's can't be that bad.

Like I said, the Yankees struggles are offensive - I don't see how voiding Giambi's contract at this juncture is going to help the team, unless they have a better player waiting in the wings via a trade, which I doubt will happen. The Yankees will not likely sacrifice the youth movement in the Scranton rotation for a player rental - the only ones I could see being shipped out would be DeSalvo or Wright.

Giambi is extremely well liked in the locker room, and close friends with Jeter (and Clemens). I highly doubt that they would want to get rid of a locker room leader to save money this year.

After this season ends, however, I wouldn't be surprised if he was dumped. He has a horrible contract, and he isn't consistent enough to warrant his DH role at this point (see David Ortiz) and can't pinch hit either. But, nonetheless, I'd rather have Texiera as the starting first baseman and then at worst see Giambi as the DH once again next year.