Steinbrenner: Cashman on 'big hook'

BBA-Steinbrenner-Cashman - Despite constant speculation about manager Joe Torre's job, New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner says someone else also needs to deliver as the team looks to reverse its floundering start: general manager Brian Cashman.

"He's on a big hook," a spirited Steinbrenner told The Associated Press in a rare interview from his Tampa office. "He wanted sole authority. He got it. Now he's got to deliver."

Steinbrenner's comments came with the Yankees' record at 21-24, sitting 9 1/2 games behind the American League East-leading Boston Red Sox. The Boss said he was encouraged by the Yankees' performance this week in taking two out of three games from Boston — and he felt the return of Roger Clemens could provide another boost.

"We hope we have turned it around," Steinbrenner said emphatically. The 44-year-old Clemens brings "a winning attitude," he continued. "I think Roger is capable of sparking the team. He is a veteran and will bring stability. I am happy he is coming back. I love him."

Steinbrenner, 76, felt "The Rocket" needed at least one more minor-league start to sharpen his stuff, and Yankees officials said Thursday that the right-hander will likely pitch Monday in a Triple-A game.

That would put the seven-time Cy Young Award winner on track to return to the majors in Fenway Park next weekend against his old team.

As for Torre, the Yankees manager since 1996, Steinbrenner said "we are not considering a change." The owner did say he was impressed with Torre's bench coach, ex-Yankee great Don Mattingly, and that he "could possibly" become manager someday.

"Mattingly is a good one," Steinbrenner said. "He is very thorough guy. He understands what it is to be a Yankee."

Steinbrenner had praise for captain Derek Jeter, who passed Hall of Famer Joe DiMaggio this week for fifth place on the franchise hits list, and pitcher Andy Pettitte.

"He's a real gutsy guy," Steinbrenner said of the left-hander, who resigned with the Yankees in the off-season. "We are happy he is back with us."

He was less generous toward Jason Giambi, whose recent comments to USA Today that was "wrong for doing that stuff" were interpeted by some as an admission of steroid use. Giambi reportedly admitted to a 2003 grand jury that he used steroids.

"He should have kept his mouth shut," Steinbrenner opined. "The matter is in the hands of the baseball commissioner."

Steinbrenner bought the team in 1973 and has presided over six world championships and 10 pennants while building the Yankees franchise into the most lucrative in sports.

The Yankees' owner is also known for his generosity to those in need off-the-field especially young people.

He said he was deeply moved by the April massacre at Virginia Tech. The Yankees made a $1 million contribution to the school's "Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund" to assist the victims' families, and honored the victims before playing the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday night. Virginia Tech's president threw out the first pitch and the Yankees wore VT logos on their caps.

"I feel very strongly about the young people," Steinbrenner said. "I feel so strongly about the teachers and the school, all the people affected by this. We wanted to help in the healing process."

As far as the Yankees' fate, the message of the legendary Boss was as strong and clear as ever:

"We just have to get out there and compete, compete hard, and win," he said.

Source: FOX Sports