nebraska is my favorite springsteen album because of the subtlety involved with the record; alot of his music is melodramatic, very produced - not slick, but gigantic in sound. i don't for a minute mean that in a demeaning way either - the entire point to records like born to run is to blow it up, to romanticize the struggle of everyday life. the thunderous sound of his records - complete with spectoresque arrangements - is really effective, undercutting pretense by being flat out dangerous & real, evoking urban & suburban strife alike. however, the hopeless spell of nebraska really strikes a personal vein with me, & the tales of make-it or break-it small time criminals & everyday people at the end of their rope really resonates with me, & always has. even to this day, i put that record on with a pair of headphones, lay on my bed & just envelope myself in the world he creates. i mentioned in the dylan thread that restraint is a major theme that attracts me to music, & saying more with less & conjuring up the heartfelt grief & loss, that sense of desperation with just an acoustic guitar, a harmonica & vocals really hits me close to home. i've always said nebraska is an album easier to admire & respect than to love - to turn out such a blatantly uncommercial record that's so cemented in being stark at such a pivotal moment in his career took guts, which is one thing you could never strip away from bruce.

the power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. george bernard shaw