Congrats Joe!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Yankees pull out finale late

CHICAGO -- Derek Jeter gave Joe Torre a hug, creating an emotional symbol for Torre's 2,000th career win as a Major League Baseball manager.

"He deserves it," Jeter said. "To get that number of victories, it takes a long time. He's been pretty consistent -- especially since he's been in New York. All he's done is win. He deserves a lot of credit."

Torre passed around the credit on a blustery Thursday night at U.S. Cellular Field after the Yankees beat the White Sox, 10-3, to give their manager another milestone and end their road trip on a high note.

"I thought the game was very special," said Torre, who is 10th all-time, nine wins behind Leo Durocher. He's also the first to record 2,000 wins as a manager and 2,000 hits as a player.

"Two thousand. Without the opportunity here ... I wouldn't have been close. I thank the Steinbrenner family for allowing me to do this.

"The players have been the best part of it for me."

Jeter, despite starting the game on the bench so he could be rested, played a key role. With the scored tied at 1 in the eighth, Jeter's pinch-hit, working a leadoff walk preceded Bobby Abreu's two-run double.

Alex Rodriguez hit a ninth-inning grand slam, as the Yankees scored nine runs in the last two innings to pull away. Mariano Rivera pitched the final 1 2/3 innings for the save, as the Yankees have won six of eight after a five-game losing streak. They also won their third straight game for the third time this season.

"We've been playing well," Jeter said. "Even when we lost a couple games in Toronto [to start the road trip], I said our intensity level was good. People might get tired of hearing that, but sometimes you're going to lose."

Not very often if you are Torre or Jeter, who tied Joe DiMaggio for ninth place on the Yanks' all-time games played list. Jeter, who's last day off came in late April, scored two runs and almost had three plate appearances despite sitting for most of the game. He was happy to do whatever for Torre, who became Yankees manager in Jeter's first full season.

"He's a Hall of Fame manager, whenever he decides to call it quits," Jeter said. "He's the best."

Scott Proctor (1-3) picked up the win in relief of Mike Mussina, who might have had his best start of the season -- allowing a run on four hits with no walks over six-plus innings. Jeter might have hugged his manager, but Mussina seemed a bit irritated that he was removed after throwing 79 pitches. Mussina didn't even realize, he said, that the bullpen was warming up when Torre came for him with runners at the corners, no outs and the Yankees leading, 1-0.

"I thought it was [pitching coach Ron] Guidry coming out," Mussina said. "I could have thrown 110," Mussina said. "I thought I could have kept going. I understand his thinking, but 79? I guess I got to earn [his trust] back."
With a run in and two aboard, Chicago's Rob Mackowiak lined a pitch from Proctor deep to center, but the ball was knocked down by a strong wind, allowing Cabrera to catch the it in front of the fence. Winds gusted to at least 25 mph, probably more.

"That ball was crushed," Torre said. "We got lucky. And then, being able to put something together offensively ..."

That started with Jeter, who saw four balls against former Yankees right-hander Jose Contreras (4-6). Abreu, who seems to be coming out of a slump, came through by drilling a ball against lefty Matt Thornton into the gap.

"The guy threw hard," Abreu said. "A lot of sinkers inside. I was fighting for it."

Rodriguez's homer, his Major League-leading 22nd of the season, was his second grand slam of the season and 15th of his career.

"It's awesome for Joe," Rodriguez said. "It's pretty incredible, everything Joe's been able to do -- especially with the Yankees."

Source: Yankees