Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
 Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I think that we have enough bats on the team that I don't think we need to get someone who can HIT the ball to replace Abreu. Someone who could CATCH the ball, however, would be a welcome change.

Ichiro would do it. He's won a few Gold Gloves.

Ichiro is my #1 choice for the Yankees to acquire in free agency this offseason, despite the ration of shit I catch every time I mention him to my fellow Yankee fans. I know it goes against a.) the Yankees getting younger and b.) the 30 and over rule of outfielders going downhill, but Ichiro is a phenom and in spectacular condition. I can't see his game dropping off that drastically when he is in such good shape.

And hell, I hear the Twins still want to do a Torii Hunter/Melky Cabrera trade straight up. I'd do it.

My biggest goals for this upcoming offseason? Dump Giambi and find a way to get rid of Damon. Preferably acquire some middle relief in these deals. And get a marquee first baseman.

That already addresses some huge issues. We're stuck with Mussina, because of a horrid two year deal we gave him, so our rotation will feature Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Mussina, and another pitcher. Carlos Zambrano? I don't know. I do think he'd transition better than Willis to the AL, but I think there are cheaper (or better) options you can plug into the 4-5 spot that will be available, including John Smoltz (Braves have a club option though, so he'll probably be off the market), Jake Westbrook, Freddy Garcia, Jason Isringhausen (another '08 club option so probably no-go), Jason Jennings, and our favorite guy who we've given away in the last couple of years, Jon Lieber.