Originally posted by Ice:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Turnbull:
[qb]

[b]"Michael Corleone says hello" was intended not for Frankie-but for Richie, the bartender, whose ginmill was being used to set up Frankie.

1.)I guess this is where I became very fascinated with this subject. I can't imagine why Aiello would wanna change the script in such an IMPORTANT scene and say...(nah, I think the rosato's need to throw Micheal Corleone's name out here to lead the bartender off the trail) Maybe that is a common practice in film production though.....(letting the actors add their input and editing it out if need be at a later time.)[/b]
Yes, actors are constantly ad-libbing or otherwise deviating from the script. My post was an attempt to find a possible reason why FFC let this particular ad-lib remain in the film.

2.)Mike already said he would whack frankie, Roth does not believe him?
When Michael said, "Frank Pentangeli is a dead man--you don't object?" he was attempting to mislead Roth into thinking that he blamed Frankie, not Roth, for the Tahoe shooting, and to appear humble (i.e., asking Roth's permission). But, instead of whacking Frankie, Michael dispatched him to settle his problems with the Rosatos. Oh-oh! Now Roth figured that Michael really didn't blame Frankie for the Tahoe attack--meaning that Michael might blame Roth. So Roth ordered the Rosatos to whack Frankie--Michael's main caporegime in New York--thus preventing Michael and Frankie from taking action against Roth, and to set the stage for Roth's allies, the Rosatos, to head up the Corleone family business in New York. When Michael confronted Roth about Frankie in Havana ("Who had Frank Pentangeli killed?"), Roth cleverly diverted Michael's self-righteousness by implying that it was tit-for-tat for Michael's elimination of Moe Green. Keep in mind, Ice, that at that point, both Roth and Michael thought Frankie had been killed, and Roth was confident that he could arrange Michael's assasination in Havana right after the New Year.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.