GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 601 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,983
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,794
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,553
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,530
Posts1,062,475
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tom Cruise is a NAZI! [Re: Beth E] #418080
07/21/07 12:52 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
Cruise's performance in Eyes Wide Shut is absolutely incredible.

And his performance in Magnolia is one of the best performances I've ever seen.

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: Tom Cruise is a NAZI! [Re: Beth E] #418081
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Personal tastes regarding the film itself aside, do you doubt that Cruise didn't care for his role in Eyes Wide Shut? Or were you saying that was an example of him being a mere "movie star"?

I don't really know what's meant by that term, that's why I insist on the quotation marks.

(What, for instance, is Bogart in his films if not a "movie star"? Errol Flynn? Eddie Murphy?)

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Tom Cruise is a NAZI! [Re: Beth E] #418091
07/21/07 01:24 PM
07/21/07 01:24 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Originally Posted By: Beth E
 Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Which films is he merely a "movie star" in? I've never actually doubted that he didn't care for a role he was playing.

"Eyes wide shut"? I honestly wish mine were during that movie.

Re: Tom Cruise is a NAZI! [Re: Double-J] #418099
07/21/07 03:04 PM
07/21/07 03:04 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I don't know how many times, nor in how many movies, I've seen that annoying Tom Cruise Smirk that's totally out of character to what he's playing -- there were many -- so in that sense, he's playing himself. He's watchable (not horrible) most of the time, but I do not believe he's that great of an actor in the films I've seen so far.

While watching his movies, I'm always aware of the fact that I'm watching Tom Cruise "acting" - as opposed to someone far superior like Pacino, who almost always actually embodies the character and is believable in his role.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Tom Cruise is a NAZI! [Re: J Geoff] #418102
07/21/07 03:33 PM
07/21/07 03:33 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
Happy Birthday svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
 Originally Posted By: J Geoff

I don't know how many times, nor in how many movies, I've seen that annoying Tom Cruise Smirk that's totally out of character to what he's playing -- there were many -- so in that sense, he's playing himself. He's watchable (not horrible) most of the time, but I do not believe he's that great of an actor in the films I've seen so far.

While watching his movies, I'm always aware of the fact that I'm watching Tom Cruise "acting" - as opposed to someone far superior like Pacino, who almost always actually embodies the character and is believable in his role.

Good point about TomCruise, that smirk etc. But you could say that about Pacino too. Devil's advocate and Recruit come to mind. Few actors actually convince you of the reality of the characters they are playing. Maybe DeNiro in Raging Bull. I like Tom Cruise's performance in Magnolia. And Capo, MI-3??? I don't even remember one impacting scene from that movie, let alone calling Tom Cruise's acting great. To some extent I liked his acting in 'A few good men' too. But Jack Nicholson overshadows him by a far far superior performance. Yes, superior is the right word. Tom Cruise is heavily overrated.

Re: Tom Cruise is a NAZI! [Re: svsg] #418110
07/21/07 04:22 PM
07/21/07 04:22 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
I love Pacino in Devils Advocate.I i thought he played John Milton(Satan)extremely well.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Tom Cruise is a NAZI! [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #418115
07/21/07 04:56 PM
07/21/07 04:56 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
 Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Personal tastes regarding the film itself aside, do you doubt that Cruise didn't care for his role in Eyes Wide Shut? Or were you saying that was an example of him being a mere "movie star"?

I don't really know what's meant by that term, that's why I insist on the quotation marks.

(What, for instance, is Bogart in his films if not a "movie star"? Errol Flynn? Eddie Murphy?)

Mate, you can tell when an actor gives a fart, and when they're just coasting.

Take Brad Pitt. He acts his buns off for SE7EN, but SPY GAME? Nope.

Take Tom Cruise. He acts his ass off for BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY, COLLATERAL, MAGNOLIA, you name it. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II? I think not.

Of course there are actors who can take any part and be awesome, no matter how bad the dialogue.

Re: Tom Cruise is a NAZI! [Re: svsg] #418116
07/21/07 05:05 PM
07/21/07 05:05 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
 Originally Posted By: svsg

Good point about TomCruise, that smirk etc. But you could say that about Pacino too. Devil's advocate and Recruit come to mind. Few actors actually convince you of the reality of the characters they are playing. Maybe DeNiro in Raging Bull. I like Tom Cruise's performance in Magnolia. And Capo, MI-3??? I don't even remember one impacting scene from that movie, let alone calling Tom Cruise's acting great. To some extent I liked his acting in 'A few good men' too. But Jack Nicholson overshadows him by a far far superior performance. Yes, superior is the right word. Tom Cruise is heavily overrated.

Well, look at M:I 3.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman so fucking acts around Cruise in that movie SO MUCH, Hoffman could split in double and that clone still outacts the scientologist.

Then again, lets use the Matt Damon/Ben Affleck situation.

Ben Affleck wanted to be a movie star, and took so many commercial projects from rom coms to comedies to action to fun fluff, you name it. Several bombs later, and after the J-Lo disaster, nobody in Hollywood wanted him. Everyone was sick of him.

Matt Damon carefully took his time in picking his projects. Like Edward Norton, both men follow Dustin Hoffman's script-choosing approach in the 1970s.

Look at the movies Affleck made: BOUNCE, GIGLI, ARMAGGEDON, PHANTOMS, REINDEER GAMES, PEARL HARBOR, DAREDEVIL, CHANGING LANES, THE SUM OF ALL FEARS, PAYCHECK, SURVIVING CHRISTMAS.

Look at the movies Damon made: THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY, THE BOURNE IDENTITY (and its two sequels), THE GOOD SHEPHERD, ROUNDERS, OCEAN'S 11 (and its good sequel. Fuck O12), SYRIANA, GERRY (which he co-wrote), THE DEPARTED.

Guess which one is having a hot Hollywood career right now...and which one bottomed out?

That said, Ben Affleck apparently has followed the career path that his buddy Damon does, with HOLLYWOODLAND almost scoring the man an Oscar nod.

Re: Tom Cruise is a NAZI! [Re: J Geoff] #418123
07/21/07 05:54 PM
07/21/07 05:54 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Does embodying a character mean you forget who's playing that character? If you think that's the case, then respectfully, I disagree. When I watch Pacino's best performances, in The Godfather, Heat and Serpico, I am always aware I am watching Pacino. It's the same with Gene Hackman; I don't count his performances in The French Connection and The Conversation excellent because I forget it's Hackman playing them, I count them excellent because they make me believe in the onscreen character. That's the definition of a good actor, in my opinion. I don't think I've ever watched a film without thinking, "I am watching this actor", though.

It's the same with directors, really. When I'm watching a Hitchcock or Godard film, I'm always aware of the fact I'm watching a Hitchcock or Godard film.

When I watch Raging Bull, every scene I'm thinking, "Fuck me, De Niro is excellent in this scene." In my opinion, a good actor will make you simultaneously realise you're watching them, and believe in the character they're playing.

Surely, we take pleasure in watching Pacino chewing gum and shouting a lot in short little bursts of anger, in (let's be honest) the majority of films he performs in. Surely, we take pleasure in the way De Niro raises his eyebrows and turns in an instant from comical laughter to seriousness. It's how they take their natural persona to the role they're playing and tune it into that character...

And I think Cruise does that very, very well.

Re: Tom Cruise is a NAZI! [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #418124
07/21/07 05:55 PM
07/21/07 05:55 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
For the record, by the way, whenever I think of the term "great actor" recently, the first name that comes to mind is Charles Laughton.

Re: Tom Cruise is a NAZI! [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #418129
07/21/07 07:11 PM
07/21/07 07:11 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
Pacino chewing gum in most of his roles?I only remember him doing that in Heat.As for his shouts and out bursts,thats what everyone says when they take shots at him.I'm not saying you are Capo but in all honesty, i think you should check out his work in Dog Day Afternoon,Panic in Needle Park and Scarecrow(with Gene Hackman) if you haven't already seen them.

But like i said earlier, i'm not a Tom hater. I do enjoy him in some roles.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Tom Cruise is a NAZI! [Re: whisper] #418148
07/21/07 08:29 PM
07/21/07 08:29 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Perhaps not, to be fair, but I always remember him chewing gum and shouting a lot. I need to see those three films, too (thanks for the recommendation). And, as it happens, I agree that people tend to pick up on his shouting and outbursts as criticisms, but I'm not here, I was picking up on it to say that it's natural for him to take from role to role. Typecasting? Perhaps, but he's still good at it.

But, my point was saying those things in order to say that whenever I watch Pacino, I am always aware that I am watching him. Which, I think (and this makes sense), is natural, considering I probably only watched a lot of films because he was in it.

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 07/21/07 08:34 PM.

Re: Tom Cruise is a NAZI! [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #418149
07/21/07 08:34 PM
07/21/07 08:34 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
i'm actually really surprised you haven't seen Dog Day Afternoon.IMO i reckon thats where he has given his greatest performance, as i i actually FORGOT i was watching Pacino.Seriously rent that out Capo and if you like Gene Hackman, get Scarecrow. A t underground classic.

Re: Tom Cruise is a NAZI! [Re: whisper] #418150
07/21/07 08:47 PM
07/21/07 08:47 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Yeah, I've been wanting to see Scarecrow in a while, but it's not available on r2 DVD. I could import it, but I vowed a few months ago not to buy any more DVDs until I watched the 200+ I have already unwatched.

And... I think we're getting away from the points I was making. \:\)

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 07/21/07 09:01 PM.

Re: Tom Cruise is a NAZI! [Re: svsg] #418154
07/21/07 09:00 PM
07/21/07 09:00 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
 Quote:
I've never actually doubted that he didn't care for a role he was playing.
I was going to add this at the time, but for some reason, didn't:

For what it's worth, what I said above about Cruise is at the least more than I can say for De Niro.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull