Quote:
Capo, if you haven't ever seen the show, then how can you comment on it??
OMG! Sorry. Just ignore every single thing I said, ever, in this thread. \:p

Seriously, though, keep in mind I was careful to say "it sounds like..." I'll happily be corrected, but forgive me for suspecting a show to be another moralistic, phony, Christian and fascist example of a medium full of putrid passive consumption.

Either way, though, the intention of the concept, the entire premise of the show, still remains. And I am against it. Like I said, it's a sad state of affairs when we have to make a spectacle out of stuff like this - making profit it from it, too. It's also a sad state of affairs, I suppose, that we even need a TV personality - for that's what he now is - to do the jobs that police can't. We're quick to shout "hooray" and "burn in hell" when these guys get caught, but we're also quick to ignore the severe inadequacies of the country's laws we set up in the first place, and even quicker to overlook the fact that, since this is a TV show (pray, tell me if I'm wrong in this instance), a lot of budgeting has gone into it, to fund crews, technicians, runners, Hansen himself, cameramen, sound men, editors, to hire editing suites, to pay for lunches, for breaks, to be hospitable to the crews.

Quote:
By exposing these people for what they truly are, then perhaps victims won't be ashamed to admit they've been victimized. They'll realize they're NOT alone, that they're not the only one that has been victimized in this way.
Then in that case, the primary concern should not be to expose child molestors, but to make as public as possible victims' memories, memoirs and interviews, in the form of published books, written confessions, TV talking heads, and Q&A sessions. You might say, "Yeah, but haven't these people been through enough?" Well, yes, but nobody's forcing them to be brave and come out with their confessions. And I'd imagine if they did that, it'd be a helluva lot more effective and beneficial to other victims than printing child molestors' faces in the daily newspaper.

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 07/29/07 02:05 PM.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?