Signor Vitelli and I were having a discussion over in another thread and the subject of horror movies came up, so rather than hijack the other topic, I thought that I would start a topic on favorite pre-1970 Horror Movies.

Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: J. Carrol Naish. Don Cardi certainly knows his Universal horror films. Naish's portrayal of the tragic Daniel in House of Frankenstein (1944) was unusually sympathetic for this series. Very memorable.

Speaking of gangster and horror films, does anyone remember an interesting film starring Boris Karloff called Black Friday (1940)? This one dealt with a partial brain transplant: Karloff transplants part of the brain of a dying gangster into his dying friend, a college professor who was mortally wounded after being accidentally shot by the thug. The professor recovers, but becomes a Jekyll/Hyde character alternating between kindly Professor Kingsley and ruthless killer Red Cannon - complete with physical transformation (!). Now-forgotten character actor Stanley Ridges played the dual role. Interesting and fun - if you don't take it too seriously. Bela Lugosi also had a supporting role as a rival mob boss.

Signor V.

I remember that movie Signor. Do you remember another movie with Karloff, which originally came out as an Italian movie titled Tre volti della paura, I and later when released in the USA re-titled Black Sabbath?

It's a compilation of 3 short stories and in one of them Karloff plays a Vampire. Very dark and chilling.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.