Personally I see this line blurred all the time. If I am at a social gathering more often than not someone will ask me some inocuous legal question (personally I think it is rude, but it happens) let's say its "My kids are grown, should I change my will?" So I might say, it depends what your present will says, if you have guardians appointed for them when they were minors, you should probably change it, but I would suggest you have someone do some estate planning for you.

That is a favor. I would not bill them for this.

On the other hand, if they then made an appointment to see me in my office to ask the same question, I would have no problem sending them a bill for services rendered.

As for what would Vito do (and by the way this could be a great thread WWVD? someone gives a situation and then people give answers.....in fact the next thing I am going to do is start one

Vito would do this:

Get the person in a room with a third party present. Tell him/her .. First say his/her name twice, then say "How can you show me such disrespect? Some time ago I became aware of a favor you did for me, and for that you have my gratitude. But now you present me a bill for services rendered. This is not the act of a friend. Had you come to me in a time of need and said you needed some money to get you through a hard time, I would have returned the favor, but instead you insult me with this bill for your "services." This I will not pay.

Then if they continue to give you a hard time, find out if they have a pet. Behead it and put it in their sheets.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."