Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
However, I've mentioned before, that the best pastrami I've had was while in NYC. I believe it was a "pound" of pastrami and it was absolutely fabulous. If I'm not mistaken, I got it from the Carnegie Deli. Like Geoff said it was about $13 or so, but well worth it.

The Carnegie Deli isn't as good as it used to be but I'd still recommend it to a tourist wanting to experience a New York style deli (the "ambience", the loud talking going on, the "rushing around" by waiters, etc.).

I used to work across the street from it and would get my lunch from them about once a week.... I'd order two extra slices of bread (they'd charge 50ยข) and then divide the sandwich into two when I got back to the office.... so, two people could eat a treat for about $5 each then. I LOVED their pastrami and corned beef but you can get better now from other delis.

I took Beth E. there some years ago (it was her first time going) and she was amazed at the size of the sandwiches.... when they were brought to the table she exclaimed, "Its so big" .... I was about to say, "Thank you", but then realized she was talking about the sandwich.

Many years ago, when I was driving the cab, I got a job one late night requesting I pick up some food from there and deliver it to a printer (where law firm employees were working on an all-night rush job involving some prospectus). As I was waiting for the food a young guy ordered one of their truly SPECIAL sandwiches. I think the thing weighed about 4 pounds and had three different kinds of meat and other stuff on it. The counter guy was wrapping it up and announced that it cost $28 (and this was 1987 dollars). The guy freaked out and started yelling he didn't know it was that expensive and he couldn't pay for it. The counter guy started yelling back at him telling him all about the sandwich and WHY it cost so much. The customer freaked again and ran out of the place (without the sandwich)... the counterman started running after him, cursing him out at the same time.

Only in New York can you be entertained at 3 a.m. by what should be a normal, everyday thing.