My dad played in an organized Roller Hockey league for many years. He would play 2 games every Sunday morning, usually over in Brighton Beach. When I was a kid, I used to be the stick boy for the team. The first game normally started around 9:00 AM. So every sunday morning we would get in the car, he'd pick up my uncle and then we'd go to Bernie's Diner on Coney Island Avenue. Whenever I hear the name Bernie I always think of that Diner and the fun times that my dad, my uncle and myself had at that Diner.

Life has a funny way of repeating itself. Years later when I became a father, my son played Ice Hockey and I was the coach of his team. Whenever he had a game on a Saturday or Sunday morning, we would go to the Victory Diner here on Staten Island for breakfast.

Two other Brooklyn diners that also bring back some memories for me: The Floridian Diner and Del Rio's Diner -

When my wife and I were dating, we were regulars at the Floridian Diner. A 3 - 4 o clock in the morning stop at the Floridian Diner on the way home from a night of drinking and dancing was a common practice.

Later on when we were married, we rented an apartment which happened to be around the corner from the Del Rio Diner. Many a friday night we'd be up watching a late movie and if the window was open we sometimes would get the aroma of BBQ burgers coming from their kitchen into our apartment. She and I would look at each other and we'd get up and go to the diner for a quick Burger, fries with melted cheese or breakfast.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.