Originally Posted By: Don Marco
I still say they should have fired Cashman. There is a long list of overpaid ex all stars on the downside of their careers. I love it when people give him the credit for the good crop of young players but say he wasn't really in charge of the Pavano decision, among others. I guess he only made the good choices, or spent years only responsible for deciding what the giveaways would be on the promo games.

Why the argument against Cashman fails:

1.) EVERY team wanted Pavano when he became a free agent. There were several teams that wanted him. No one could have predicted he'd turn to absolute garbage.

2.) Overpaid ex-all stars. Who? Damon? Yes, I blame Cashman. Sheffield? Wasn't his decision. Giambi? Wasn't his decision.

So who else are you talking about, exactly? Matsui has been fabulous until he was hurt last year, and (clearly) is still having problems adjusting.

Randy Johnson? In spite of what many Yankee fans think, Johnson still had solid years here in New York. Considering he needed back surgery and ended his year this season with the Diamondbacks on the shelf, Cashman looks smart for dealing him.

Mike Mussina on a two-year contract? Okay, I agree that I've never been that high on Moose. But look at the FA list for 2007, and tell me how Mussina's contract wasn't a certifiable deal.

You trying to tell me A-Rod - remember, the deal Cashman made with Texas - is an overpaid former all-star?

3.) You act like those young players are nothing, but the Yankees have several players who can be competent Major League everyday players; among them, many have an elite ceiling. Before Cashman took the reigns, the Yankee farm system was used for one thing: trade bait. Now, it actually is possibly generating another crew of '96ers.

So please, try, try again.