Originally Posted By: SC
 Originally Posted By: The Iceman
You have no idea how many accidents there are involving deer. that's due to over-population.

Couldn't an argument be made to better educate and train drivers in areas where the deer live?

I have to argue on the side of Iceman on this specific idea that reducing the population of deer will reduce the amount of traffic accidents involving deer. I grew up in California, but I lived on the Monterey Peninsula which is overrrun by deer, as well as raccoons. I have personal experience with knowing a person who hit a deer and almost died by being crushed by the deer that went through the windshield to crush him.

I can also say that on my very first day as a FedEx courier I left the terminal in the truck for the very first time. As I was driving down highway 68 a deer sprinted across the highway from the other side of the road. The timing would have had me hit the deer if it wasn't for a small Honda Civic on the other side of the road hitting it first. I heard the crunch as I jumped thinking I was going to hit it. I don't know if the driver survived.

All the training in the world wouldn't have prevented that deer from freaking out for whatever reason and taking off across traffic and getting hit.

I say this knowing I could never shoot an animal. In fact I even get frustrated for my family smooshing Daddy Long Legs or other innocent bugs. But I don't hold it against people or think different of them. After all, I do love to fly fish although I take all of my training into consideration when it comes to safely catching and releasing the fish, unless I plan to eat them.

Hunting in general is a touchy subject, and while I couldn't shoot a deer, I don't look down on those who do.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes