GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Irishman12, 1 invisible), 859 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 69,125
DE NIRO 44,957
J Geoff 31,303
Hollander 26,588
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,613
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,854
Posts1,070,727
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Irishman12's Weekly Movie Recommendation [Re: chopper] #478545
03/09/08 09:13 AM
03/09/08 09:13 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Online shocked OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Online Shocked OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Let us know what you think

Re: Irishman12's Weekly Movie Recommendation [Re: Irishman12] #480936
03/21/08 04:48 PM
03/21/08 04:48 PM
The Villa Quatro
UNDERBOSS
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Sorry this is a little late guys, I forgot

RELEASE DATE: 3/18/08

ATONEMENT
(First Viewing)

A British romance that spans several decades. Fledgling writer Briony Tallis, as a 13-year-old, irrevocably changes the course of several lives when she accuses her older sister's lover of a crime he did not commit

I'm very glad to see Keira Knightley having a career post-PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN trilogy. It seems she's sticking with the romance category with PRIDE & PREJUDICE, ATONEMENT, and SILK now under her belt. A very engaging story about a little girl who lies and as a result three lives are changed forever. This was a pretty slow weak with only I AM LEGEND to speak about. And while that will be rented out for the next two weeks, you should think about getting this as, hopefully, they'll still have some in stock.

Re: Irishman12's Weekly Movie Recommendation [Re: Irishman12] #481075
03/22/08 05:44 PM
03/22/08 05:44 PM
The Villa Quatro
UNDERBOSS
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
RELEASE DATE: 3/25/08

THE MIST
(First Viewing)

After a violent storm attacks a town in Maine, an approaching cloud of mist appears the next morning. As the mist quickly envelops the area, a group of people get trapped in a local grocery store -among them, artist David Drayton and his five-year-old son. The people soon discover that within the mist lives numerous species of horrific, unworldly creatures that entered through an inter-dimensional rift, which may or may not have been caused by a nearby military base. As the world around them manifests into a literal hell-on-earth, the horrified citizens try desperately to survive this apocalyptic disaster.

One of the better Stephen King adaptations to date (I didn't see 1408 but I heard it wasn't great). This while very good at the beginning but I felt could have been great if it sustained throughout the duration of the film. Some people made a big deal about the ending and while it was nice, I didn't see the big obsession with it. Thomas Jane, Andre Braugher, and Marcia Gay Harden are the ones to keep your eyes on. However, as with last week, it'll be pretty slow in terms of releases so this should go pretty quickly.

Re: Irishman12's Weekly Movie Recommendation [Re: Irishman12] #482243
04/02/08 11:43 AM
04/02/08 11:43 AM
The Villa Quatro
UNDERBOSS
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
RELEASE DATE: 4/01/08

ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS
(First Viewing)

In a tree farm, three musically inclined chipmunks, Alvin, Simon and Theodore, find their tree cut down and sent to Los Angeles. Once there, they meet the frustrated songwriter David Seville, and despite a poor house wrecking first impression, they impress him with their singing talent. Seeing the opportunity for success, both human and chipmunks make a pact for them to sing his songs. While that ambition proves a frustrating struggle with the difficult trio, the dream does come true after all. However, that success presents its own trials as their unscrupulous record executive, Ian Hawke, plans to break up this family to exploit the boys. Can Dave and the Chipmunks discover what they really value amid the superficial glamor around them?

Yes, some here may think the 3-star rating is a bit much but it really surpassed my expectations. I thought it was going to be another GARFIELD type of film that was destined to suck. I'm glad I was proved wrong. When I saw Jason Lee's name attached to it in the trailer I thought to myself, "why?" And while this is a family movie, it was quite cute and funny. Hey, I grew up on this show in the 80s so I'm biased towards it.

RELEASE DATE: 4/01/08

SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET
(First Viewing)

After being sent away by Judge Turpin, Sweeney Todd a.k.a Benjamin Barker returns to London with the help of a sailor, Anthony Hope. He opens a barber shop above Mrs. Lovett's Meat Pie Shop, where she sells "the worst pies in London." With the help of Mrs. Lovett, Todd means to rid London of the corrupt aristocracy, and hopes to be reunited with his daughter, Johanna, who is now Judge Turpin's ward.

I wanted to see this film in theaters but was unable to find the time to do so. For being a Tim Burton film and a musical, I quite enjoyed it. The city of London that Burton creates is quite eye catching with its use of black and gray colors. As usual, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Alan Rickman all shine in their respective roles.

Re: Irishman12's Weekly Movie Recommendation [Re: Irishman12] #482729
04/05/08 10:17 PM
04/05/08 10:17 PM
The Villa Quatro
UNDERBOSS
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
RELEASE DATE: 4/08/08

THERE WILL BE BLOOD
(Second Viewing)

In the 1890s, Daniel Plainview, a struggling silver miner, finds his true wealth in petroleum extraction while taking the orphaned child, H.W., as his own for a valuable family man image. In 1911, Plainview gets a tip on a valuable supply on the struggling Sunday family ranch in the impoverished Little Boston, California. In his quest to acquire the property, Plainview meets the sanctimonious Eli Sunday, the young reverend of the local church with his own ambitions for his diocese and the profit from the oil. As the oil wells begin, an escalating conflict arises between exploiters of many kinds while Plainview's canny ruthlessness gradually sinks into a slowly mounting malevolent madness. In doing so, it begins to drive every emotional bond away that all the wealth he gains can never replace.

After watching this, I can say now with certainty that Daniel Day-Lewis deserved his Oscar. Man he put on another great performance. It was right on par with his job in GANGS OF NEW YORK. I was a little surprised Paul Dano wasn't able to snag at least an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his Eli Sunday character. The scenes with him and Lewis were IMO the best of the show. Too bad it went up against NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. Any other year and this film should win.

Re: Irishman12's Weekly Movie Recommendation [Re: Irishman12] #483786
04/13/08 12:11 AM
04/13/08 12:11 AM
The Villa Quatro
UNDERBOSS
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
RELEASE DATE: 4/15/08

JUNO
(Second Viewing)

Sixteen year-old Juno MacGuff is the type of girl that beats to her own drummer, and doesn't really care what others may think of her. She learns that she's pregnant from a one-time sexual encounter with her best friend, Paulie Bleeker. Juno and Paulie like each other, but don't consider themselves to be exclusive boyfriend/girlfriend let alone be ready to be a family complete with child. Although she would rather not be pregnant, Juno is fairly pragmatic about her situation. Although there, Paulie really leaves all the decisions about the baby to Juno. Initially she decides that she will have an abortion, but that's something that she ultimately cannot go through with. So she decides to have the baby and give it up for adoption. But first she has to tell her father, Mac, and stepmother, Bren, that she is pregnant. Although they would have preferred if Juno was on hard drugs or expelled from school, Mac and Bren too are pragmatic about Juno's situation. The next step is to find prospective parents for the yet unborn child. In the Pennysaver ad section, Juno finds Mark and Vanessa Loring, a yuppie couple living in the suburbs. Juno likes the Lorings, and in some respects has found who looks to be a kindred spirit in Mark, with whom she shares a love of grunge music and horror films. Vanessa is a little more uptight and is the one in the relationship seemingly most eager to have a baby. On her own choosing, Juno enters into a closed rather than open adoption contract with the Lorings - meaning she will have no contact with the baby after she gives it up. During the second and third trimesters of Juno's pregnancy which she treats with care but detachment, Juno's relationships with her family, with Paulie, and with the Lorings develop, the latter whose on the surface perfect life masks some hidden problems.

Wow, Ellen Page was very impressive and capable of carrying this film by herself. She's quite a talented young actress. More of a dark comedy but still somewhat moving. She definitely deserved the Oscar nod but I'm still not 100% convinced the film should have been nominated for Best Picture.

RELEASE DATE: 4/15/08

THE FINAL SEASON (2007) 1/2
(First Viewing)

Tradition in Norway, Iowa, can be summed up in one word, baseball. In the small Midwestern town, population 586, baseball is a legacy passed father to son, generation to generation. The Norway high school team is no stranger to overcoming the odds, to playing "David" to the State's much larger schools' "Goliath." When the 1990 team, lead by Coach Jim Van Scoyoc, wins its 19th State Championship in 23 years, it is almost expected. The unexpected comes when bureaucracy intervenes to merge Norway into a larger school, and petty jealousies conspire to rob Norway of its heritage and a 20th State Championship. The legendary coach is fired and replaced with his 24-year-old, one-season assistant coach, Kent Stock -- a move designed to insure the team's failure. "THE FINAL SEASON" tells the true story of an underdog coach and team who despite tradition have been written off not only by their rivals but also by those closest to them, the town. Can they find the faith in themselves, and the faith in each other, to make it to one final championship game -- and the chance for redemption?

Another wonderfully told baseball story from director David M. Evans who also just so happened to have directed THE SANDLOT. This film was more of a cross between FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS and FIELD OF DREAMS. I have never heard of it (I think it may be a direct-to-DVD release), but for those baseball fans out there, I would recommend giving this a shot as most moviegoers this week will be picking up the bigger titles like JUNO, ALIENS VS PREDATOR: REQUIEM, and IN THE NAME OF THE KING: A DUNGEON SIEGE TALE.

Re: Irishman12's Weekly Movie Recommendation [Re: Irishman12] #485101
04/20/08 11:51 PM
04/20/08 11:51 PM
The Villa Quatro
UNDERBOSS
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
RELEASE DATE: 4/22/2008

CLOVERFIELD 1/2
(First Viewing)

Cloverfield follows five New Yorkers from the perspective of hand held video camera. The movie is exactly the length of a DV Tape and a sub-plot is established by showing bits and pieces of video previously recorded on the tape that is being recorded over. The movie starts as a monster of unknown origin destroys a building. As they go to investigate, parts of the building and the head of the Statue of Liberty come raining down. The movie follows their adventure trying to escape and save a friend, a love interest of the main character.

After hearing all of the bad reviews and comments people had about this film I rather enjoyed it considering the circumstances. It wasn't great but I think they did right by keeping the runtime low (about 84 minutes). I just know the "BLAIR WITCH style directing" won't go over with a lot and while it times it was frustrating (turning away from the monsters in some places).

RELEASE DATE: 4/22/2008

CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR
(First Viewing)

In the early 1980s, Charlie Wilson is a womanizing US congressional representative from Texas who seemed to be in the minor leagues, except for the fact that he is a member of two major foreign policy and covert-ops committees. However, prodded by his major conservative supporter, Joanne Herring, Wilson learns about the plight of the people are suffering in the brutal Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. With the help of the maverick CIA agent, Gust Avrakotos, Wilson dedicates his canny political efforts to supply the Afghan mujahideen with the weapons and support to defeat the Soviet Union. However, Charlie Wilson eventually learns that while military victory can had, there are other consequences and prices to that fight that are ignored to everyone's sorrow.

A great cast and intriguing story. It seemed like an Oscar bait movie from the previews and I'm glad the Academy didn't fall for it. Julia Roberts returns after her 3 year hiatus since OCEAN'S TWELVE (if you don't count THE ANT BULLY and CHARLOTTE'S WEB when Julia lent her voice). This will probably be the big title this week that people are after so CLOVERFIELD could be used as a backup if you're really keen on seeing this.

Re: Irishman12's Weekly Movie Recommendation [Re: Irishman12] #485967
04/26/08 10:21 PM
04/26/08 10:21 PM
The Villa Quatro
UNDERBOSS
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
RELEASE DATE: 4/29/08

THE GOLDEN COMPASS
(Second Viewing)

Lyra Belaqua, living in Oxford's Jordan College, is not but a young girl living among scholars. Her world may seem diverse, from physical embodiments of souls that take the shape of an animal, but similar with people around you to become friends and enemies. She is thrown into a perilous adventure when she overhears a conversation of an extraordinary microscopic particle, Dust. This particle is said to unite different worlds, and is feared by many who want to destroy it forever. As Lyra is flung into the middle of this horrible struggle, she meets wondrous creatures both big and small, and villains who are not what they seem. Gobblers, that kidnap children, will turn out in the most unexpected places. And a magical compass of gold that will answer any question if one is skilled enough to read it. Lyra's adventure continues throughout these three books, and the first is about to be told.

Finally a real fantasy movie and not the teases such as BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA or PAN'S LABYRINTH. Dakota Blue Richards does a great job in her first movie and it was great seeing Nicole Kidman as a villain. She has those cold eyes and curtness to her that makes her a powerful character. I hope they continue to make these films as I'd like to see how the story ends, but I guess it depends on how well it does at the box office and DVD rentals/sales.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull