I feel Scarface is perhaps one of the most over-rated films of all-time. While it is a great film to watch, and a must-see for any Pacino fan, it is immensly over-rated. I feel that Oliver Stone speant too much time concentrating as making it as differant as he could in comparison to The Howard Hawkes 1932 version that he completely neglected any substance or moral. The 32' version--which took place in a prhobition-era Chicago, for anyone unfamiliar--had a bit more to it. While today it would fail to come through, for its time it had much more of a message than the DePalma 1983 verion; although, I find this to be true of most of the gangster films of the 30s and 40s. The only thing that brings this script to life is a combination of great visuals and quite the performance from Al Pacino.

But the one thing that really bothers me about it is the lack of substance. Although the great lot of the characters depicted in gangster films come to a similar fate, in some cases repeatitively, I feel that Tony Montana's final punishment isn't represented as charismatically or as originally as say, Henry Hill of Goodfellas. The final shootout is indeed very fun and entertaining to watch (I enjoyed it on the level of cheap-thrills), it is pure asthetic's. It give little dramatic-ease or climax to the story, if any.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."