Originally Posted By: Irishman12

"It's a manager's worst nightmare when a pitcher's on a basepath," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said after Sunday's victory. "It's unfortunate."

After the game, Mussina summed up the problem that AL pitchers sometimes face at NL parks.

"We don't hit, we don't run the bases," Mussina said. "You get four or five at-bats a year at most, and if you happen to get on base once or twice, you never know. We run in straight lines most of the time. Turning corners, you just don't do that."

Source: Yankees

These quotes are hilarious. A manager's worst nightmare? I could think of scarier things than getting on base. How about not getting on base. I'm actually hard pressed to remember the last time a pitcher became disabled fron running the base path.

And Mussina's comments are ridiculous. Many of these pitchers earn millions of dollars, and are professional athletes. Yet they are only able to run in straight lines? They can't turn corners.

Wang's injury was a freak occurrence. He was jogging home. I think the comments, especially those of Hank, who chastised the entire National League for the injury, are misplaced.