Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

I am feeling sort of dizzy and light-headed, but that's supposed to be typical as well. I also am not nearly as hungry as I was last time, but I'm coughing like crazy from a post-nasal drip. That could just be my allergies, though.

I used to smoke a pipe. When I quit in 1990 (no patch then), the first reaction I noticed was a huge increase in energy. I don't know why, but I suddenly felt like I had to walk, run, shout, etc. My kids were scared of me. I started taking long walks after dinner just to dissipate the energy.

Alas, another and unfortunate effect was that I gained weight. To be fair, I always have had a weight problem, but it'd been under control for a long time. My doctor told me that it was because my metabolism changed when I quit smoking. But I told her I thought there was another cause:

When I got restless, I lit up the pipe. There's a lot to keep you busy if you smoke a pipe: knock the ashes out, clean the bowl and stem, fill up, light up, etc. After quitting, there was nothing to do but...eat. The Dr. agreed. So, I started eating high energy, low fat snacks. My favorite was raisins. They worked to help control weight. But they caused another problem: tooth decay. Suddenly I started needing root canals...you can't win. But at least I haven't gone back to smoking. smile

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.