I've never really had that problem. I'm pretty critical of myself, actually. I'll think something sounds horrible, and have 10 people tell me it's their favorite part of the song, or their favorite song in the setlist, etc.

I don't have issues with my own timing... But I think what I'm getting at is, when I play with live bands, I don't have to focus on it at all, once I get going, I just sort of build strength, and focus less on what I am doing than I do what the guitars or drums are doing, or I'll try and isolate the vocal melodies, or whatever. With the stuff I've been doing recently, I'm still not having trouble, but because I'm used to ignoring myself as I do whatever feels right while simultaneously tapping into the other musicians, I'm actually focusing completely on myself for a change. It's just different, but I am working with it... And a lot of the more recent tracks I'm been compiling are rather electronic, utilizing all sorts of loops, samples, and highly processed sequences and whatnot, which sparked my initial comments.

But, you're looking at this from the standpoint of a guitarist, and I am thinking as a bassist. I'm all natural rhythm. I mean, I can play some complicated shit, and my style of playing bass is pretty funk/jazz orientated, but I still don't consider myself the center of attention the way I would regard a guitar part. They're two pretty different worlds, I think.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."