GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 401 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 69,032
DE NIRO 44,954
J Geoff 31,300
Hollander 26,466
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,611
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,835
Posts1,070,214
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 121 1 2 3 4 5 120 121
Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #496134
06/27/08 09:36 PM
06/27/08 09:36 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
TIS, is that an official site backed by obama? Looks pretty suspicious confused

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: svsg] #496137
06/27/08 09:54 PM
06/27/08 09:54 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
SVSG,

You talking about the "smear" site? Because, yes I am pretty certain. I heard it reported on CNN/MSN when it first opened, they announced that Obama started a site like this. I had no reason to think it wasn't legit. Why do you think it might not be? confused

TIS

You got me wondering, so I did some checking. It's so hard these days to tell with all the fake websites. What do you think? confused

Story

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 06/27/08 10:06 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #496155
06/27/08 11:57 PM
06/27/08 11:57 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
It asked for email and does not have any content still. That is why.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: svsg] #496156
06/28/08 12:00 AM
06/28/08 12:00 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
TIS, the link in the story is different from what you posted earlier.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: svsg] #496157
06/28/08 12:18 AM
06/28/08 12:18 AM
California

California
SVSG,

You're right. I posted the wrong title. It's fightthesmears.com not STOP the smears. My mistake. blush

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #496448
06/29/08 01:33 PM
06/29/08 01:33 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
City Vehicles Painted with Anti-Obama Sayings

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35, Orlando) -- The Orlando Police Department found dozens of city owned vehicles vandalized Saturday.

The vandal or vandals appear to have political intentions; most of the vehicles were spray painted with anti Obama sayings, with ‘Obama’ misspelled several times. Some of their vehicles had their gas caps removed.

Officials said that gas caps were removed from several of the vehicles and they aren’t sure if gas was stolen or if something could have been added to the tanks that will damage the engines.

The person or persons left a business card with political ramblings and other phrases such as ‘How ‘Bout them Gators’ and ‘Legalize Marijuana/ Stop Building Prisons’.

Police are investigating but have no leads and no estimate on the damages.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pages/...mp;pageId=1.1.1

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #496449
06/29/08 01:38 PM
06/29/08 01:38 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Mrs. McCain, San Diego County Would Like a Word

When you're poor, it can be hard to pay the bills. When you're rich, it's hard to keep track of all the bills that need paying. It's a lesson Cindy McCain learned the hard way when NEWSWEEK raised questions about an overdue property-tax bill on a La Jolla, Calif., property owned by a trust that she oversees. Mrs. McCain is a beer heiress with an estimated $100 million fortune and, along with her husband, she owns at least seven properties, including condos in California and Arizona.

San Diego County officials, it turns out, have been sending out tax notices on the La Jolla property, an oceanfront condo, for four years without receiving a response. County records show the bills, which were mailed to a Phoenix address associated with Mrs. McCain's trust, were returned by the post office. According to a McCain campaign aide, who requested anonymity when discussing a private matter, an elderly aunt of Mrs. McCain's lives in the condo, and the bank that manages the trust has not been receiving tax bills on the property. Shortly after NEWSWEEK inquired about the matter, the McCain aide e-mailed a receipt dated Friday, June 27, confirming payment by the trust to San Diego County in the amount of $6,744.42. County officials say the trust still owes an additional $1,742 for this year, an amount that is overdue and will go into default July 1. Told of the outstanding $1,742, the aide said: "The trust has paid all bills shown owing as of today and will pay all other bills due."

Dan McAllister, treasurer- tax collector for San Diego County, said that about 3 percent of San Diego's approximately 1 million property owners default on their property taxes each year. The county assesses a 1.5 percent penalty for each month that goes by unpaid and puts houses up for sale after five years. "We do hear an awful lot of excuses for why people don't pay," McAllister said. "Under the law, the property owner is responsible for keeping the address current. We're only as good as the information we are given."

http://www.newsweek.com/id/143775/

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #496465
06/29/08 03:58 PM
06/29/08 03:58 PM
California

California
In what looks like the same site RR posted, only an update, it says one side of cars were slurring Obama and the other side supported Hillary. Either these vandals want us to think it's Hillary supporters or it really is disgruntled HRC supporters.

In any case, and as sad as it sounds, I do hope they supply adequate protection for Obama. I honestly feel most people are perfectly fine with a black man running for President, but it's the crazies that we all know still exist, that worries me. frown

TIS

http://www.wftv.com/news/16738560/detail.html

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #496473
06/29/08 05:01 PM
06/29/08 05:01 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
In what looks like the same site RR posted, only an update, it says one side of cars were slurring Obama and the other side supported Hillary. Either these vandals want us to think it's Hillary supporters or it really is disgruntled HRC supporters.

In any case, and as sad as it sounds, I do hope they supply adequate protection for Obama. I honestly feel most people are perfectly fine with a black man running for President, but it's the crazies that we all know still exist, that worries me. frown

TIS

http://www.wftv.com/news/16738560/detail.html

What's sad is, my parents really are interested in who his running mate will be, because as my old man put it..."someone will try to shoot him."

RFK flashbacks?

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #496481
06/29/08 06:10 PM
06/29/08 06:10 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
GI bill boosts Webb's veep odds

Gary Emerling

Speculation about Virginia Sen. Jim Webb's prospects as a candidate for the Democratic vice presidential nomination got a boost last week with the passage of an important GI benefits bill — a signal achievement for a freshman lawmaker that won him praise from both parties.

The artfully crafted bill allowed Democrats to tangibly support U.S. troops while still opposing the war. The gesture toward troops straining to cope with near-constant deployments also drew no small amount of Republican support.

KATIE FALKENBERG/THE WASHINGTON TIMES Sen. Jim Webb, Virginia Democrat, is said to be on the shortlist of running-mate possibilities for his party's presidential nominee. It's a position the former Republican he says he doesn't want.

If President Bush signs the bill as expected, it will be one of the most significant pieces of legislation approved by Congress this year.

Just two years ago, the Democrat-turned-Republican-turned-Democrat was waging a long-shot bid for Senate against popular Republican incumbent Sen. George F. Allen — having switched parties in order to mount a campaign against the war in Iraq.

Today, the former Marine commander in Vietnam — where he earned the Navy Cross and the Silver Star, among many other medals — is increasingly seen on the shortlist of potential running mates for Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois. It's a posting he swears he doesn't want.

In an interview Friday with The Washington Times, Mr. Webb focused on his legislative priorities.

"I hope that the way we have worked across the aisle on this legislation will be useful as we work on other issues," Mr. Webb said. "I think it's a good feeling when you can work together and get something like this done."

Favorable reviews for the bill's passage abound for the 62-year-old best-selling novelist, who also added to his credentials with the recent publication of a political book, "A Time to Fight."

For the former Navy secretary under President Reagan to shepherd the measure through both chambers with no prior legislative experience makes the feat even more remarkable.

"It wouldn't happen without his tenacity and willingness to push this proposal all the way to the end," said Jim Manley, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat. "It's very impressive."

Mr. Webb's bill provides educational benefits to Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans who served after 9/11, similar to those given to veterans returning from World War II. It provides full tuition, as well as money for fees, books and housing, at a public college in a veteran's state of residence.

The bill — which had nearly 60 co-sponsors in the Senate, 302 in the House and will cost an estimated $62 billion over 10 years — also allows additional payments of up to $1,200 for tutorial assistance. As many as 450,000 veterans are expected to take advantage of the benefits offered by the bill.

The Senate passed the bill 92-6 Thursday as part of a war funding bill. The House — following Democrats' concession that the benefits can be transferred to a recipient's spouse or children — approved it the week before with a 416-12 vote.

Mr. Webb initially had to spar with the White House, Pentagon and presumptive Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain on aspects of the measure.

Mr. McCain, of Arizona, a fellow Vietnam veteran, initially introduced his own GI package but has since come out in support of Mr. Webb's. The White House, citing the addition of the transferability option, said Thursday that President Bush would not veto it.

Sen. John W. Warner, Virginia Republican, who is retiring at the end of this term, said Mr. Webb's achievement with the GI bill will stand as a "hallmark."

"He came to the United States Senate, and he indicated his top priority was to get a revision of the existing framework of laws governing the GI bill because he felt very strongly, based on his long and heroic service to this country in uniform, that we owe this generation everything that previous generations had received by virtue of educational benefits," Mr. Warner said.

Mr. Webb said speculation about a spot on Mr. Obama's ticket is "totally apart" from his GI Bill.

"[The bill] is just something that needs to be done," Mr. Webb said.

Some who say Mr. Webb could appeal to blue-collar workers alienated by Mr. Obama and help the nominee carry Virginia, which has not voted for a Democratic presidential candidate since 1964.

Those opposed to his selection say the senator is too brash and averse to the campaign trail to be a successful sidekick. In a June 9 piece posted on www.slate.com, Timothy Noah called Mr. Webb "a bit of a blowhard" with a "volcanic temperament."

"Nominating Webb isn't worth the risk that he'll alienate important constituencies, embarrass Obama, or break with him outright, as John Nance Garner did with Franklin Roosevelt," Mr. Noah wrote. "He's trouble, and Obama's already had too much of that."

Obama spokesman Michael Rodriguez said the Illinois Democrat "greatly respects the extraordinary service and sacrifices that Senator Webb has made for our country as a Marine, Navy secretary, and U.S. senator."

"Early on, Senator Webb recognized the need to improve college opportunities for our returning service members, and he assembled a bipartisan coalition of senators to introduce and pass a 21st-century GI Bill," Mr. Rodriguez said. "Senator Obama is honored to serve with such a tireless advocate for our service members and veterans."

Approval of the GI Bill also represents the culmination of a campaign promise made by Mr. Webb during his Senate bid.

Mr. Webb's son, Jimmy Webb, is a Marine who has been deployed to Iraq multiple times, and the senator has noted that both he and Mr. McCain received their post-Vietnam educations thanks to the current GI Bill.

Aided by several of Mr. Allen's missteps, Mr. Webb earned a razor-thin victory in the November 2006 Senate election despite critics who cited excerpts from his writings to contend the former Navy secretary did not respect women.

His victory secured the transfer of power in Congress — one reason Democrats chose him to rebut the president's State of the Union address the following January.

"Most people who come from [outside of Congress] chafe at the pace and the process that the Founding Fathers set up," said Brad Fitch, chief executive officer of Knowlegis — a company that provides power rankings for congressional members at the Web site www.congress.org. "Here's a guy who not only didn't chafe at it, he thrived at it."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008...bs-veep/?page=1

----------------------------------------------------------------

You know, I'm surprised that the media hasn't made that big of a deal of Webb apparently undercutting McCain to the chase on such a bill.

If I'm Obama, I would take a serious hard look at him.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #496482
06/29/08 06:13 PM
06/29/08 06:13 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Meanwhile, Wesley Clark is also pimping himself for running mate status with this op-ed piece...

Bush's Third Term

by Wesley Clark

This year, we're facing the most important election in a generation. As Americans, we must ask ourselves which candidate will bring about the change our country so desperately needs. In my opinion, Barack Obama is the only candidate with the judgment to move our country forward.

The disastrous consequences of George W. Bush's poor judgment over these last 7 1/2 years are all too apparent. Now, John McCain is offering 4 more years of Bush -- while Barack Obama offers the change in direction our country so desperately needs.

Barack had the judgment to oppose the war in Iraq before it began, and he is ready to bring our troops home and end the occupation of Iraq in a responsible way. John McCain has said that American troops should be willing to stay in Iraq for 100 years.

Barack will engage in the diplomacy that is necessary to bring stability to the Middle East. Just like George Bush, John McCain repeatedly resorts to saber-rattling and threats about invading Iran while revealing a startling ignorance of the basic issues that define the politics of the region.
Barack knows we have to invest in renewable energy to end America's dependence on foreign oil and fight global warming. And like George Bush, John McCain is in the pocket of big oil.

It's about judgment -- and I think the answer is clear.

While I respect John McCain's service, I know exactly what he stands for -- Bush's third term. And in national security terms, John McCain is largely untested and untried. He's never been responsible for policy formulation. John McCain is calculating that he will use the national security debate to his advantage. He's wrong.

Like Bush, McCain has always been for the use of force, force, and more force. In my experience, the only time to use force is as a last resort. When John McCain talks about throwing Russia out of the G8 and makes irresponsible comments about bombing Iran, he reveals his own disrespect for the office of the presidency.

And while he's all too willing to continue putting our troops in harm's way, John McCain initially refused to support providing benefits like the new GI Bill to our veterans because he believes that providing good education opportunities to our troops will hurt retention. That's ridiculous.

We need new leadership in the White House -- not George Bush's third term.

Last week I sat down with Barack Obama. I know he's the right person to lead our country forward. Now we need to come together and support his campaign for change.

As I see the sacrifices our troops and their families make every day; as I see Americans buckling under the weight of record high gas prices; and as I see families struggling with sky rocketing health care costs, I know this:

We simply can't afford another 4 years of the McCain-Bush-Cheney agenda.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gen-wesley-clark/bushs-third-term_b_109188.html

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 06/29/08 06:19 PM.
Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #496483
06/29/08 06:30 PM
06/29/08 06:30 PM
California

California
There is a lot of speculation on Obama's running mate, and I know Webb is very popular among the bloggers. I am only recently learning more about him. I also know some are suggestion Kathleen Sebulus (?) I forgot what state she is from. Claire McCaskill is another name that comes up. Personally, I don't think Obama will pick a woman (unless it's HRC and I doubt that).

I always thought Biden would be a good choice, but I know just a little more about him than the others. He has foreign experience and is older, which may be a plus to counter the two areas people seem to think Obama is inexperienced in.

But yea, I do find myself paying attention just a little more than usual as to whom the VP might be. Even in McCain's case, and considering his age, it's a good thing to consider. At least, speaking for myself, I find myself more interested than usual in who the VP nominees will be. ohwell Normally, I don't really pay that much attention to VP.

TIS

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #496504
06/29/08 11:05 PM
06/29/08 11:05 PM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

What about Evan Bayh?

Former Indiana governor in a state that usually goes Republican...

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Longneck] #496538
06/30/08 08:52 AM
06/30/08 08:52 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Longneck
What about Evan Bayh?

Former Indiana governor in a state that usually goes Republican...

I think that is who he will pick. If he picks any woman other than Hillary
then her supporters are going to be upset. If he picks someone older like Sam Nunn he emphasizes his youth and inexperience to his disadvantage. Webb is a good choice, but a bit of a loose cannon given to making outrageous comments.

Bayh supported Clinton, he could deliver Indiana and possibly tip Ohio , and assuming Obama carries Illinois, then the Reps are in deep trouble.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #496546
06/30/08 09:33 AM
06/30/08 09:33 AM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY

Does anybody else feel if Obama wins be assinated?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Mignon] #496555
06/30/08 10:48 AM
06/30/08 10:48 AM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Mignon

Does anybody else feel if Obama wins be assinated?

He and his family have had secret service protection longer than any other candidates, and apparently there are many threats that have been made.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: dontomasso] #496558
06/30/08 10:51 AM
06/30/08 10:51 AM
M
MiniMafiaBoss Offline
Underboss
MiniMafiaBoss  Offline
M
Underboss
If Obama is assassinated, African Americans wouldn't do anything about avenging it other then moaning and griping.

Is'nt Obama Muslim? I heard he practices it. Would you as an American allow a Muslim to be your President?

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: MiniMafiaBoss] #496564
06/30/08 11:13 AM
06/30/08 11:13 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: MiniMafiaBoss
If Obama is assassinated, African Americans wouldn't do anything about avenging it other then moaning and griping.

Is'nt Obama Muslim? I heard he practices it. Would you as an American allow a Muslim to be your President?

Obama is Christian. There have been many rumors and distortions concerning his faith.

As to your second question, personally I would not disqualify a candidate from consideration because he/she was Muslim (though that person would not likely be elected). Nor would I dismiss someone, who was agnostic or atheist. I'd draw the line at a Satan worshiper because I don't want any goats burning on the White House lawn.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: klydon1] #496565
06/30/08 11:15 AM
06/30/08 11:15 AM
M
MiniMafiaBoss Offline
Underboss
MiniMafiaBoss  Offline
M
Underboss
What would you think if America had a Muslim President and it's later revealed that he supported terrorism against America?

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: MiniMafiaBoss] #496577
06/30/08 11:57 AM
06/30/08 11:57 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: MiniMafiaBoss] #496582
06/30/08 12:36 PM
06/30/08 12:36 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: MiniMafiaBoss
What would you think if America had a Muslim President and it's later revealed that he supported terrorism against America?

Then Vice-President Jack Bauer would take office.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #496583
06/30/08 12:39 PM
06/30/08 12:39 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Can't find the link, but here are some interesting poll results from Canada, where The Strategic Counsel asked 1000 Canadians which Canadian/ American leader they preferred. The results:

1. Barack Obama: 26 per cent
2. Stephen Harper: 21 per cent
3. Hillary Clinton: 16 per cent
4. Jack Layton: 9 per cent
5. Gilles Duceppe: 6 per cent
6. Stephane Dion: 5 per cent
7. John McCain: 3 per cent

Other Useless Polling Data

-82% of Canadians now think Iraq was stupid, compared to 51% who wanted us to go there in 2003, 54% of Americans think it was stupid too and 59% applaud Canada's decision not to enter
-45% of Americans think Canada's health care system is better (42% preferred America's) and 91% of Canadians also felt that way
-51% of Canadians would call themselves liberal or very liberal, just 37% of Americans say the same
-57% of Americans say they are either conservative or very conservative, 41% of Canadians say the same
-Just 23% of Canadians attend religious services weekly, 46% of Americans do
-68% of Canada now supports gay marriage, up 13% since 2005, whereas 44% of Americans support it (that's pretty good considering)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, this may be complete bullshit

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: svsg] #496584
06/30/08 12:52 PM
M
MiniMafiaBoss Offline
Underboss
MiniMafiaBoss  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: svsg

panic

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #496585
M
MiniMafiaBoss Offline
Underboss
MiniMafiaBoss  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Then Vice-President Jack Bauer would take office.

orange

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: MiniMafiaBoss] #496587
06/30/08 01:12 PM
06/30/08 01:12 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Romney tops McCain veep list

By MIKE ALLEN

Surprising many Republican insiders, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is at the top of the vice presidential prospect list for John McCain. But lack of personal chemistry could derail the pick.

“Romney as favorite” is the hot buzz in Republican circles, and top party advisers said the case is compelling.

Campaign insiders say McCain plans to name his running mate very shortly after Barack Obama does, as part of what one campaign planner called a “bounce-mitigation strategy.”

The Democratic convention is in late August, a week ahead of the Republican convention. That means McCain can size up the opposing ticket before locking in his own.

The McCain campaign declined to comment, saying McCain has made it clear they are not to discuss the matter.

One of the chief reasons the Massachusetts governor is looking so attractive is his ability to raise huge amounts of money quickly through his former business partners and from fellow members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the Mormons.

McCain sources tell Politico that they believe Romney could raise $50 million in 60 days. One close Romney adviser said it could even be $60 million.

Romney’s other advantages, according to people involved in McCain’s screening process:

— Squeaky-clean and fully vetted by the national media.

— Has presidential looks and bearing and immediately would be a strong campaigner who could be trusted to stay on message.

— Family’s Michigan roots would help in a swing state that went Democratic in 2004.

But there’s one big problem: Despite the buddy-picture choreography of a McCain-Romney campaign swing, McCain remains less than enamored with Romney.

And it’s not just the candidate. Some of McCain’s closest confidants evince little enthusiasm for Romney, feelings that are owed in part to lingering bad blood from the GOP primary, a genuine skepticism that such a conventional pick could bolster the ticket in a grim year for the GOP and concerns about whether his Mormon faith could imperil McCain in Southern states that Obama hopes to put into play.

McCain sources also say he’ll pick his vice presidential candidate based more on ability to govern than ability to help in the election.

So two other names are in the top tier:

— Rob Portman, a former congressman from Ohio, member of House leadership, U.S. Trade Ambassador and White House budget director.

— Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), who would delight conservatives and is at the top of the list of the party’s prospects for the presidential race in 2012 or 2016. He was described to Politico by a McCain confidant as a possible “compromise” if the senator can’t stomach picking Romney.

Then there’s a second tier of candidates who are less likely, but possible: former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge, who dropped out of the top tier because of recent revelations about his lobbying; Florida Gov. Charlie Crist; Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty; and Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.), who is one of McCain’s most energetic and successful fundraisers.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal is frequently included in veep news stories but was not mentioned by McCain insiders. Their view is that his youth would accentuate, not mitigate, the age issue.

Especially if McCain is far behind later this summer, he could do something truly unorthodox like pick his strong supporter Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.), who was the Democrats’ vice presidential candidate back in 2000.

Party leaders don’t expect that. But McCain remains, after all, a maverick.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0608/11435.html

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 06/30/08 01:13 PM.
Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #496600
06/30/08 01:54 PM
06/30/08 01:54 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
-45% of Americans think Canada's health care system is better (42% preferred America's) and 91% of Canadians also felt that way

I was speaking with an orthopedic surgeon before a deposition last week. This doctor has spoken nationally on panels and at symposiums about healthcare. He said he has no problem with a national healthcare system as long as he does not have to deal with a multitude of forms and paperwork.

He also spoke about Canada's system, which, he says, leaves many patients on waiting lists for surgeries and procedures that should be performed as soon as possible. As a result, many Canadiens with money come to the US to have their gall bladders removed.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: klydon1] #496605
06/30/08 02:02 PM
06/30/08 02:02 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: klydon1
As a result, many Canadiens with money come to the US to have their gall bladders removed.

For some reason, this struck me as rather funny. "Honey, let's go to New York, take in a show, and stop at the hospital on the way home and leave them my gall bladder."

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Sicilian Babe] #496608
06/30/08 02:14 PM
06/30/08 02:14 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Originally Posted By: klydon1
As a result, many Canadiens with money come to the US to have their gall bladders removed.

For some reason, this struck me as rather funny. "Honey, let's go to New York, take in a show, and stop at the hospital on the way home and leave them my gall bladder."

lol

It does look funny. I should have added, "whether they want to or not."

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: klydon1] #496638
06/30/08 03:42 PM
06/30/08 03:42 PM
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

Everyone knows your gall bladder is the body's axis of evil and must be removed...especially from Canadians.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: CAMPAIGN 2008 [Re: Longneck] #496640
06/30/08 03:45 PM
06/30/08 03:45 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Longneck
Everyone knows your gall bladder is the body's axis of evil and must be removed...especially from Canadians.

I thought it was their livers ..... to go with the Canadian bacon. rolleyes

Page 3 of 121 1 2 3 4 5 120 121

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull