Originally posted by goodfella4188:
I recently was reading the novel in english class, and I read it all the time. At that particular time, it was my fifth time through it. My teacher says to me that I should read something more intellectual (I am in an advanced placement program and am in 10th grade), something with more literary value. So I told her that The Godfather was full of literary value. Mario Puzo develops the characters brilliantly, which I have had to write several essays about, just on other novels. The novel also includes the universal themes of Love, Betrayal, and Family that appear in every book we read for class. It ended with me being put outside for the rest of the period because I was insubordinate. What do you all think of the novel, in terms of it's literary value?
Does your teacher know that it was your fifth time reading it? If so maybe that is why he/she told you that you should read other books. I agree with you that The Godfatther does have many different components which contribute to it's literary value. It definately is of literary value for many of the reasons that you stated above and then some. But it sounds to me, and I may be wrong, that your teacher is somehow aware of your reading the GF so many times and just wants you to read other books to expand your literary horizons.
Want to really read a fantastic book? Rich Man Poor Man by Irwin Shaw. Talk about covering all of the aspects that would contribute to a book that has literary value. You'll blow your teacher away if you do a report on that book! Take your Don's wink advice and read it!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.