GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Malavita, 2 invisible), 761 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 69,052
DE NIRO 44,954
J Geoff 31,300
Hollander 26,535
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,612
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,839
Posts1,070,379
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 31 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 30 31
Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Irishman12] #524524
12/14/08 11:16 PM
12/14/08 11:16 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Yanks improve rotation, keep young talent

The winter obsession last year was Johan Santana -- and the Yankees or the Red Sox could have had him. They could have traded for the accomplished left-hander who was about to turn 29. But what folks in both front offices decided was that the double-barreled cost was prohibitive.

On the front end, both teams would have been required to surrender their top pitching prospects -- for the Red Sox, that was Jon Lester, and for the Yankees, that was Phil Hughes -- and then they would have to pay Santana like he was a free agent. It was such an extraordinary price that even some folks in the Mets' organization wondered, after getting Santana, whether it was the right thing to do.

The argument that several executives made with the Red Sox and Yankees was that if you were patient -- patient -- then you might have a shot at a pitcher much like Santana in CC Sabathia, and the cost would only have one layer. Sure, you'd have to give him a huge contract, but you wouldn't have to give up top prospects along the way.

So the Yankees, in the end, were patient and got Sabathia, and the pundits who are saying that the team has blown up its plan for player development are simply not paying attention. In fact, the signings of Sabathia and A.J. Burnett are absolutely in keeping with the refocus on the farm system.

Because the Yankees waited to pursue Sabathia, rather than deal for Santana, they still have Hughes and Ian Kennedy and Austin Jackson and all the players mentioned in the Santana talks, and as the pitching talent pool has increased at the major league level, there is now more time for those youngsters to develop. It actually has been more than a decade since the Yankees have had as much minor league talent stacked up as they do now.

Yes, they will sacrifice draft picks in landing Sabathia and Burnett. But keep in mind that the Yankees will have picks in the first and second round of the draft in 2009 because of players unsigned in 2008; it's not as if they are being shut down.

The Yankees spun themselves into a hole in the past decade partly by acquiring and relying on aging pitchers (Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson) at premium prices. Now, when the free-agent machinations are over and the new Yankee Stadium opens, this is what the Yankees' rotation will look like:

1. Sabathia, 28 years old
2. Burnett, 32
3. Chien-Ming Wang, 29
4. Andy Pettitte, 36; or Ben Sheets, 30; or Derek Lowe, 35
5. Joba Chamberlain, 23

Compare that rotation with the Yankees' rotation in the year of their epic playoff collapse against the Red Sox:

1. Mike Mussina, 35
2. Javier Vazquez, 27
3. Jon Lieber, 34
4. Brown, 39
5. Jose Contreras, 32

The Yankees' rotation will be much younger next season, and it has a chance to be the strongest it has been since 1998, when Pettitte, David Cone, David Wells and Orlando Hernandez filled out the top four spots, in front of Hideki Irabu.

Marlins president David Samson ripped the Yankees this week for what he portrayed as wild spending, but apparently he doesn't realize that the team's payroll is going to go down by around 10 percent. The Yankees had about $85 million in expiring contracts, and for next season, so far they've spent $23 million on Sabathia and $15 million on Burnett, and they'll spend on another veteran pitcher and probably acquire Mike Cameron; it's possible the Yankees' payroll for next season will be about $180 million to $190 million.

So to review: The Yankees will be younger, cheaper and deeper, and maybe better.

Who knows if all of that will be good enough to win the AL East? Burnett is an enormous risk, nobody knows if Chamberlain can stay healthy, and the Yankees don't know whether Jorge Posada can be an everyday catcher, and they don't know if Alex Rodriguez will be the monster of 2007 or the guy who seems to disappear in big spots.

The Red Sox are years ahead of the Yankees in their player development and have their pipeline of talent already flowing into the big leagues, and by the end of this week, they may land the best position player, Mark Teixeira (some executives strongly believe the bidding will, in fact, end up around $200 million). The Rays have a chance to be as good or perhaps even better, because it appears they will wind up with a solid veteran hitter, and David Price will step into the rotation in 2009.

In the fall of 2005, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman mapped out a course for the organization to begin building a powerhouse that combines player development and the power of the dollar, a model that looks an awful lot like what we've been seeing from the Red Sox over the past three seasons. The Yankees continue to move closer to achieving that goal.

Nick Cafardo wonders if the Yankees are poised for a fall like the one the Tigers had last year. Mike Lupica has a much different opinion than my own on the Yankees' pursuit of Sabathia and Burnett.

Heard this: Sabathia will arrive in New York on Monday.

Source: ESPN

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Irishman12] #524525
12/14/08 11:20 PM
12/14/08 11:20 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
The only plus I see in Manny is that he's a great clutch hitter, and he would be quite motivated against Boston. Although you can't argue with his numbers, he's still an arrogant and obnoxious piece of crap. Although he was on his best behavior in LA, I can't see him getting along well with Girardi in the long run.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Sicilian Babe] #524668
12/15/08 06:39 PM
12/15/08 06:39 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Thank you Johnny Damon grin

Johnny Damon advised Burnett to pick New York over Boston

As if Red Sox fans needed another reason to hate Johnny Damon.

The New York Daily News reported today that Damon did a heavy selling job on A.J. Burnett in attempting to convince the free-agent pitcher to join the Yankees. As part of his sales pitch, he reportedly compared New York with Boston, which was also pursuing Burnett . ... and it doesn't sound as if he said many kind things about the Red Sox.

The Daily News quoted a Yankee official as saying: "Johnny talked to A.J. about New York, the differences between New York and Boston, how he views it. Johnny couldn't be happier here, and he communicated those thoughts to A.J."

Alex Rodriguez also helped recruit Burnett to New York.

Source: Pro Jo

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Irishman12] #524674
12/15/08 07:59 PM
12/15/08 07:59 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I don't think it was Johnny Damon that persuaded Burnett. It was Hank's wallet.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: klydon1] #524964
12/17/08 01:30 PM
12/17/08 01:30 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Yankees could shift focus to Manny

Having already bolstered their rotation with the signings of free-agent starters CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett, the Yankees may spare no expense to give Alex Rodriguez a superstar partner in the lineup.
The New York Daily News cites a baseball official in its Wednesday editions who says that the Yankees view mercurial free-agent slugger Manny Ramirez as a perfect complement to Rodriguez, much the way Ramirez and David Ortiz terrorized pitchers for the Red Sox. The official believes that the Yankees are "going hard" to sign Ramirez, to the point that they could offer him a three-year deal worth $22-25 million annually.

Two other officials indicate to the News that the Yankees would jump in right away on Ramirez, preferring to watch the market develop in the hopes they could sign him for two years rather than three.

The News also cites a source close to the Yankees, who says that general manager Brian Cashman is lukewarm on Ramirez, but that the front office in general, including Hal and Hank Steinbrenner, is bullish on the left fielder.

Ramirez is widely considered to be among the two most coveted free-agent, along with fellow Scott Boras client Mark Teixeira. Given that Teixeira will be just 29 years old in May and is a Gold Glove-caliber first baseman, he will likely command a longer contract than Ramirez, who is 36. Therefore, it could be that Ramirez and Boras will wait for Teixeira to pick a team, allowing them to negotiate with teams who missed on Teixeira and need a fallback option.

If Teixeira picks the Angels, then the Orioles and Nationals -- who were hoping to land the Maryland native -- may decide not to bid on Ramirez, to whom they have no ties. Considering that Boston is not an option for Ramirez, the Yankees would only have to outbid the Dodgers for the slugger's services.

Source: Yankees

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Irishman12] #524969
12/17/08 03:03 PM
12/17/08 03:03 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I heard this on the radio this morning. The numbers I heard were three years and $75 million. Considering his age, I don't know if the Yankees should even go three years, but Manny is a tough bird from NYC, so why not?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Sicilian Babe] #524971
12/17/08 03:08 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
If they don't get Tiexiera, which I don't believe they will, they need to get Manny. They need another bat, especially to help out Alex.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Irishman12] #524972
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Are we even gonna recognize this team as "The Yankees" this year?
This is looking more and more like a fantasy baseball team. whistle

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: J Geoff] #524976
12/17/08 03:14 PM
12/17/08 03:14 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Are we even gonna recognize this team as "The Yankees" this year?
This is looking more and more like a fantasy baseball team. whistle

As long as they win the fantasy league, right? tongue

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Irishman12] #525120
12/18/08 05:32 PM
12/18/08 05:32 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Brewers: Cameron-Yankees trade dead

Tired of waiting for the Yankees to make a move, the Brewers killed the proposed deal for Mike Cameron Wednesday, leaving a gaping hole in center field in the Bronx. Could that hole be filled indirectly by Manny Ramirez? Only time will tell. Milwaukee general manager Doug Melvin said Wednesday that he had yanked the Cameron deal off the negotiating table, ending the week-long saga that had led most to believe the veteran center fielder would be sent to the Bronx in exchange for Melky Cabrera and Kei Igawa. "I haven't heard from Brian Cashman and I haven't called them," Melvin told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "I'm very happy having Mike Cameron with our ballclub." Acquiring Cameron would have locked three veterans into the starting outfield spots, but now the Yankees have the flexibility to shift Johnny Damon back to center if they were to sign Ramirez.

Source: SI

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Irishman12] #525133
12/18/08 06:44 PM
12/18/08 06:44 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I didn't realize that Igawa was part of that trade. I'm surprised they didn't jump at the chance to dump that boat anchor.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Sicilian Babe] #525146
12/18/08 09:30 PM
12/18/08 09:30 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Yeah, I didn't realize he was part of the deal either

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Irishman12] #525172
12/19/08 01:31 AM
12/19/08 01:31 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Great. So now how the F are we gonna get rid of him?? ohwell

lol

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: J Geoff] #525207
12/19/08 10:27 AM
12/19/08 10:27 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I'll believe it when he signs with a team not named the Red Sox

Henry: Red Sox outbid on Teixeira

Thursday afternoon it looked as if the Boston Red Sox had taken strides toward completing a deal for first baseman Mark Teixeira, major league sources told ESPN.com.

But by Thursday night, Red Sox owner John Henry had sent an email to The Associated Press saying they had been outbid for Teixeira and "are not going to be a factor" in acquiring him.

"We met with Mr. Teixeira and were very much impressed with him," Henry told the Associated Press. "After hearing about his other offers, however, it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor."

Henry's reference to the "other offers" leaves open the possibility he is calling the bluff of agent Scott Boras, who has been known to inflate the value of offers and the number of suitors pursuing his client. Boras represented former Red Sox center fielder Johnny Damon, who signed with the New York Yankees in 2005 after the Boston brass apparently refused to believe that the offer from their archrivals was real.

Teixeira hit .308 with 33 homers and 121 RBIs last season, including .358 with 13 homers and 43 RBIs in 54 games with the Angels.

Henry and general manager Theo Epstein traveled to Texas to meet with Teixeira and Boras, an official with another team said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because his team wasn't involved in the talks but had knowledge of them. Henry said earlier in the evening that the Red Sox were "no closer" to signing Teixeira.

Red Sox president Larry Lucchino declined comment when reached on his cell phone.

The Los Angeles Angels, who obtained Teixeira from the Atlanta Braves in July, said last week they made an eight-year offer. Several media outlets put Boston's offer at eight years and $184 million. A person in the industry said on the condition of anonymity that figure "was not close."

Teixeira also has been pursued by the Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals, and met before the winter meetings with Yankees general manager Brian Cashman. Officials of the Orioles and Angels said Boras had not been in contact with them on Thursday.

Henry had expressed concern about a contract of eight years or more.

"We all have limits," he wrote the AP on Wednesday. "Eight years is a very long time in baseball and everywhere else."

He also said the amount the team is willing to spend on a free agent "depends on both" the economy and the player being sought.

"Baseball as a whole has not yet been hit by the financial crisis, but it will," Henry said. "The degree is in question and won't be answered for a while."

Boras has told teams in recent days that he's "getting close" to resolution in Teixeira's negotiations, and Teixeira was quoted this week as saying he hoped for a conclusion by Christmas. A rival executive involved in the negotiations believes that a Red Sox deal with Teixeira will fall in the range of eight years, for a salary of about $22 million a year.

Teixeira, who turns 29 next April, has been among the most consistent hitters in the majors in recent years, thriving when he was traded to contenders twice in consecutive years -- first, in 2007, to the Braves, and then in 2008, to the Angels. Teixeira batted .358 in 54 games for the Angels, with 13 homers and 43 RBIs. When the Angels met the Red Sox in the postseason, Teixeira batted .467 with four walks in four games.

If the Red Sox complete the negotiations for Teixeira, they presumably would shift Kevin Youkilis -- who finished third in the AL MVP voting in 2008 -- to third base, and look to deal veteran third baseman Mike Lowell, who is under contract through 2 010. The Red Sox have gauged the market enough to know that they can find a suitable deal for Lowell, if necessary. Boston may decide to keep Lowell into spring training, until they get a read on how effective Ortiz will be going into this season.

The Red Sox became increasingly concerned about the quality of the middle of their lineup through the 2008 season, as David Ortiz struggled to come back from a wrist injury and after Manny Ramirez was traded.

Source: ESPN

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Irishman12] #525456
12/21/08 10:02 AM
12/21/08 10:02 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Pettitte's return to Yankees 'inevitable'

NEW YORK -- Andy Pettitte wants to call the gleaming new ballpark in the Bronx his home, and the Yankees want him in their rotation for the 2009 season. The only holdup is a dollar figure for the free-agent left-hander.

Though Pettitte and the Yankees have been locked in a salary stalemate for weeks, industry sources believe that the two sides will eventually settle on a contract to bring Pettitte back for one more year in pinstripes, completing the Yankees' five-man rotation.

Citing "a source with knowledge of the pitcher's intentions," FOXSports.com reported Friday that it was "virtually inevitable" that the two sides would eventually finalize a one-year agreement. At this point, though, no deal is believed to be imminent.

"Andy's a free agent, and the one thing I've been consistent in saying is that we'd like to have Andy back," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said this week. "I know he'd like to come back. That's set up for maybe a positive end result. It doesn't guarantee it."

The Yankees have offered Pettitte a one-year, $10 million contract, a significant decrease in salary from the $16 million the veteran left-hander made in each of the last two seasons.

Pettitte's representatives, Randy and Alan Hendricks, have discouraged Pettitte from accepting such a large pay cut after turning in a 14-win season for New York in 2008. Pettitte was 14-14 with a 4.54 ERA in 33 starts for the Yankees, but tailed off in the second half, finishing 2-7 with a 6.23 ERA in 11 starts after July 31.

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that he has spoken recently with Pettitte, and has consistently relayed that he wants him to pitch at the new Yankee Stadium in 2009.

Girardi believes that Pettitte's veteran presence and history of winning in New York make him the perfect option to round out the Yankees' pitching staff, which was bolstered by adding CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett to the returning duo of Chien-Ming Wang and Joba Chamberlain.

"He's still excited about coming back, and they continue to talk to him," Girardi said. "Obviously it takes time. These things don't happen overnight. He was very excited about the additions and he wants to be here."

No other clubs are known to be seriously courting Pettitte, and the Yankees have backed away from their earlier interest in options like Derek Lowe and Ben Sheets, believing that Pettitte will eventually be in the fold.

Pettitte's brief flirtation with the Red Sox was thought to have been overblown, and the Astros -- the only other club Pettitte has played for in his 14-year career -- are not expected to be a factor at this time.

One intriguing option for Pettitte might have been the Dodgers, which would have returned him to the National League and reunited him with Joe Torre. Though Torre confirmed at the Winter Meetings that he had spoke with Pettitte in November, it was the manager's prediction that Pettitte would eventually return to the Yankees.

"I know he'd like to be here, and I know we'd like to have him here," Cashman said. "Sometimes things take longer. It doesn't mean they're going to happen. He's been a tremendous Yankee and I've got all the respect in the world for him."

Source: Yankees

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Irishman12] #525964
12/23/08 04:37 PM
12/23/08 04:37 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
so it seems that the Yankees are on the verge of signing Mark Teixeira.

if history has taught us anything, is that Tex will become a chokejob-son-of-a-bitch. by the way, have you heard that Madonna is cheating A-Rod in Brazil?? with a guy named Jesus Luz, which means Jesus "Light"! lol lol

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Tony Mosrite] #525972
12/23/08 04:53 PM
12/23/08 04:53 PM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

And the fantasy team building continues...

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Don Sicilia] #525978
12/23/08 05:30 PM
12/23/08 05:30 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Theserecent signings send a message throughout the league:

Our farm system stinks.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: klydon1] #525994
12/23/08 06:47 PM
12/23/08 06:47 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: klydon1
These recent signings send a message throughout the league:

Our farm system stinks.

WHAT??? eek Whatever makes you think that? That the only player we brought up in recent years that has made any sort of splash is Melky. No, wait, he turned out to be good in center field, but unable to hit the side of a barn. OK, Hughes. OOPS, had a great first outing, and then choked, and then pitched well, and then choked, and then pitched well, okay, you get it. Oh, wait a minute, KENNEDY! Oh, forget it, he just choked.

Thank God for Joba Chamberlain (whose arm we will soon burn out by making him a starter) and Robinson Cano! And we can always brag about Mariano Rivera!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Sicilian Babe] #526004
12/23/08 06:59 PM
12/23/08 06:59 PM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

You can't forget about your man, Derek Jeter... wink

Speaking of Jeter...

"I wonder what to get SB for Christmas..."

Merry Christmas!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Don Sicilia] #526010
12/23/08 07:04 PM
12/23/08 07:04 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Well, I was going to mention my man DJ, but I didn't want to sound like he's the only player I ever talk about. Plus, he came up through their farm system like 12 years ago. I don't think he counts any more!

And ever since he started saying that he bought his Ford Edge in blazing copper, I've lost a little respect for Mr. Jeter. He sure is pretty, though. Thanks for the picture! I can always count on you to remember who I want in my stockings. I mean WHAT I WANT IN MY STOCKING!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Sicilian Babe] #526025
12/23/08 09:40 PM
12/23/08 09:40 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
WOW! I just walked in from work and heard this news. I'm honestly surprised they signed him. CC and AJ I expected (was a little surprised with both) but Mark was an EXCELLENT Christmas surprise. I really expected him to sign with Boston and to get Manny

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Sicilian Babe] #526026
12/23/08 09:41 PM
12/23/08 09:41 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Originally Posted By: klydon1
These recent signings send a message throughout the league:

Our farm system stinks.

WHAT??? eek Whatever makes you think that? That the only player we brought up in recent years that has made any sort of splash is Melky. No, wait, he turned out to be good in center field, but unable to hit the side of a barn. OK, Hughes. OOPS, had a great first outing, and then choked, and then pitched well, and then choked, and then pitched well, okay, you get it. Oh, wait a minute, KENNEDY! Oh, forget it, he just choked.

Thank God for Joba Chamberlain (whose arm we will soon burn out by making him a starter) and Robinson Cano! And we can always brag about Mariano Rivera!

Don't forget about our former ace (that title's reserved for CC now) Chien-Ming Wang

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Irishman12] #526034
12/23/08 11:40 PM
12/23/08 11:40 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
You're right. I totally forgot about Wang. I can't believe that the Yankees just re-signed him for only $5 million.

Wang is really underestimated as a pitcher, perhaps because he's missed a part of each season due to injuries. And last year his on-the-road performance certainly improved.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Sicilian Babe] #526037
12/23/08 11:45 PM
12/23/08 11:45 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
You're right. I totally forgot about Wang. I can't believe that the Yankees just re-signed him for only $5 million.

Well they resigned him for that amount only because he was eligible for arbitration I believe.

Wang is really underestimated as a pitcher, perhaps because he's missed a part of each season due to injuries. And last year his on-the-road performance certainly improved.

I agree with you and I think Wang's underestimated or in my opinion, underrated simply because he doesn't have dominate/overpowering stuff. When I think of an ace or one of the truly great pitchers of the game, I think of Johan Santana, Roy Halladay, CC Sabathia, Josh Beckett (when healthy), etc. These guys have nasty and at times powerful stuff. Wang doesn't. He is a GREAT sinker ball pitcher, which is his bread and butter but that's why I suspect he's overlooked so often (possibly because he's depending too much on his defense to turn the double play). Wang's not typically a strikeout pitcher, which the rest of these guys are.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Sicilian Babe] #526038
12/23/08 11:46 PM
12/23/08 11:46 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I totally forgot about Wang.

How can you forget about a wang? tongue

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Mignon] #526039
12/23/08 11:53 PM
12/23/08 11:53 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
You're right, Irish. He's the steak and the other pitchers are the sizzle. He's not flashy, so he doesn't get the attention. But he's won a heck of a lot of games for the Yankees.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Mignon] #526040
12/23/08 11:58 PM
12/23/08 11:58 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
The Teixiera signing by the Yankees is further proof of the sport of baseball slowly dying. Not only should MLB be blamed for letting this happen, but I'm also starting to dislike Yankee fans who aren't completely embarrassed by their own team. How can anyone be proud of the Yankees? I understand if your heart lives and dies with the logo because you've been a fan your whole life, but what continues to happen over and over again in baseball is really obscene.

Baseball is the sport I love the most. I could give up all other sports but not this. And to see this happen is breaking my heart.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Blibbleblabble] #526046
12/24/08 12:56 AM
12/24/08 12:56 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
The Teixiera signing by the Yankees is further proof of the sport of baseball slowly dying. Not only should MLB be blamed for letting this happen, but I'm also starting to dislike Yankee fans who aren't completely embarrassed by their own team. How can anyone be proud of the Yankees? I understand if your heart lives and dies with the logo because you've been a fan your whole life, but what continues to happen over and over again in baseball is really obscene.

Baseball is the sport I love the most. I could give up all other sports but not this. And to see this happen is breaking my heart.

Blibble, I agree almost to the word with what you so perfectly expressed. With that in mind, I love baseball. Sure, it's slow to watch on tv, but to me it's pure theater on a field.

Maybe I should say I loved baseball. I've been a Red Sox fan for over 40 years and I must admit I don't like what they've become in the last few years - they've become mini-Yankees.

This whole giant payroll thing has ruined the game. I will no longer go to a major league game (unless I'm given free tickets blush ).

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2008) [Re: Sicilian Babe] #526106
12/24/08 08:57 AM
12/24/08 08:57 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
You're right, Irish. He's the steak and the other pitchers are the sizzle. He's not flashy, so he doesn't get the attention. But he's won a heck of a lot of games for the Yankees.

That's all I care about. I don't care how it does it, as long as he does it. I believe before he was injuried last year, he had the most wins among any MLB pitcher over the previous 2 or 3 seasons.

He may never win a Cy Young but I can see him winning 20 games easily. Before last season, he won 19 games both in 2006 and 2007.

Page 23 of 31 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 30 31