I hope they don't release the names of the other offenders, and it was actually unfair to release A-Rod's name (are the tabloids calling him A-Roid yet?). There was a negotiated agreement through the labor union that the tests would be anonymous and destroyed, and would be used to survey the scope of steroid use. Otherwise, the union would not have consented to this study. I understand that the federal government subpoenaed the tests, but the tests should not have been there to be subpoenaed.

Anyway, A-Rod admitted to three years of steroid use. I don't know whether he used it before or after the periods, to which he is admitting, but I'm not going to waste a lot of time thinking about it. His numbers in the end will be shrouded in mystery and doubt, like some of his colleagues.

What is curious is his response to Gammons' question of whether the steroid use improved his performance. A-Rod gave a vague answer, but he had to perceive a quantifiable enhancement in performance because he used it for three years, knowing that his reputation would take a big hit if it was revealed. He also knew that the use of the substance posed a health risk. Why would he or anyone run these risks for years if the substance's benefits were dubious?

I had to chuckle when he was explaining his use because of the heat in Texas. Maybe superstars are more susceptible to heat stroke than the rest of us.

Also, Derek Jeter is looking better and better. I remember A-Rod's Esquire article about 10 years ago that was dripping with jealousy and bitterness over the success and popularity of #2, and this is just another reason why he isn't as beloved as the Yankee captain.