GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 298 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday The Irish Mafia 28.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,983
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,820
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,553
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,534
Posts1,062,606
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Dennis Hopper Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer [Re: Turnbull] #574835
06/02/10 06:59 PM
06/02/10 06:59 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Blue Velvet had as great an impact here as did Clockwork Orange years earlier. Hopper's Frank was as iconic as was McDowell's Alex. Hopper was wonderful in those unhinged-character parts. He was just terrific as the acid-addled photojournalist in Apocalypse Now.

That was in insane movie. But in the good way. Isabella Rossellini was beyond gorgeous and Hopper was so creepy (even for him), that Hannibal Lecter looked like a Disney character in comparison. But for me, Dean Stockwell stole the show when he lip-synced Roy Orbison's "In Dreams." I always liked Stockwell as a character actor. He was one of the saving graces in "Married to the Mob," an otherwise silly film. And I LOVED him in "Quantum Leap."

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Dennis Hopper Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer [Re: pizzaboy] #574851
06/02/10 09:49 PM
06/02/10 09:49 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Absolutely insane, PB. His next film, Wild at Heart, had plenty of off-the-wall humor (Willm Dafoe's last gesture, the dog with the hand, etc.) Lynch directed a short-lived (three episodes) TV series called "On the Air." It was outrageously funny. I have those episodes on a fuzzy VHS tape. But Lost Highway? Fuggedaboutit. tongue

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Dennis Hopper Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer [Re: Turnbull] #574869
06/03/10 10:24 AM
06/03/10 10:24 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Absolutely insane, PB. His next film, Wild at Heart, had plenty of off-the-wall humor (Willm Dafoe's last gesture, the dog with the hand, etc.) Lynch directed a short-lived (three episodes) TV series called "On the Air." It was outrageously funny. I have those episodes on a fuzzy VHS tape. But Lost Highway? Fuggedaboutit. tongue

Speaking of off-the-wall humor, have you ever seen "True Romance," TB?

Hopper has an hysterical turn as Christian Slater's lowlife, ex-cop father. His take on the Moors conquering of Sicily is nothing short of a racist diatribe, but I can't help but laugh whenever I see it. And Christopher Walken (the King of off-the-wall humor) is phenomenal.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Dennis Hopper Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer [Re: pizzaboy] #574890
06/03/10 01:26 PM
06/03/10 01:26 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
That whole first part, including Gary Oldman's over-the-top depiction of a black pimp, was worth the price of admission. Almost the best part was when Walken, after hearing Hopper's racist taunt, blinks and says, "Excuse me?" lol

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Dennis Hopper Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer [Re: Turnbull] #574927
06/03/10 06:16 PM
06/03/10 06:16 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I wrote a brief obituary on my blog, idFilm:

On his Blue Velvet performance:

As Frank Booth, Hopper is a genuinely scary presence, a ridiculous, hysterical crook whose nastiness is somehow magnified by odd slips of humanity – when he allows Isabella Rossellini's Dorothy to see her son, whom he has kidnapped for ransom – and an outraged loss for words, as when Kyle Maclachlan's Jeffrey punches him in the face.

In light of Lynch's recent forays into outright surreal associative textures, Blue Velvet remains refreshingly linear, its power as both a mystery-thriller and even a horror film lying in its placement of a dangerous, morally disturbed layer into a more innocent whole. It incorporates Ray and then some.

When he first read the script for the film, Hopper famously said he needed to play Frank Booth because he was him. Since the fiction is such a brutal ogre, we might assume the actor meant his words figuratively. There is, however, something very immediate about the performance; perhaps Hopper saw in Booth the opportunity for an on-all-cylinders commitment, a character whose absence from a scene makes one worried and whose presence simply brings the screen to life.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull