My understanding about the Wisconsin situation is that there wasn't a deficit until the new governor created one via tax cuts. Then to "fix" that deficit he's going after the unions, seeking to strip some key provisions from their right to collective bargaining.

That is why they are so upset. Ultimately they think they're paying the price for other people's decisions.

Yeah, Ice the Michigan governor is proposing to honor outstanding film credit commitments and give a $25 million grant for all future filmwork. In the link I gave above Albom derides that idea, calling it a drop in the bucket. On his radio show he said it was insulting and in his column today he again poo-poohs it.

Bottom line is that most of the studies I've seen claim that the film incentives were costing Michigan more, much more than they were bringing in in terms of revenue. So in the governor's POV the 42% film credits are just not something that Michigan can afford now. Both Albom and Jeff Daniels have gone on record stating that the governor promised them privately it would be at least $100 million. Like the Rosato Brothers, Albom and Daniels feel lied to.. whistle

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.