GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Malavita), 759 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,983
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,783
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,553
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,528
Posts1,062,422
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rise of the Apes #574240
05/23/10 03:54 PM
05/23/10 03:54 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
A "Planet of the Apes" prequel has been announced, with James Franco in the leading role. Should be interesting. We'll find out how the apes took over the earth from the humans. It's tone will be timely because the film will reportedly blame genetic engineering for the rise of the apes.

‘Planet Of The Apes’ Prequel Finds Lead In James Franco

Entertainment Weekly

The trades are reporting that James Franco has beat out numerous young Hollywood stars to grab the lead in 20th Century Fox’s Planet of the Apes prequel, Rise of the Apes.

The movie will be set in present-day San Francisco where scientists are deep into the God-playing realms of genetic engineering, which leads to the creation of a highly-intelligent species of ape who eventually rise up and rebel in an attempt to gain supremacy over humans. Franco will be playing a “driven scientist, who becomes a crucial figure in the war between humans and apes.”

Franco first broke out in Freaks and Geeks (which also introduced us to other future stars like Seth Rogen and Jason Segel), and has gone on to do a lot of different genres in his career. He’s appeared in the Spider-Man franchise, dramas like Deuces Wild, The Great Raid, Flyboys, and Milk, and maybe most-notably as the immensely-popular stoner Saul in 2008’s Pineapple Express. He’s even starred in 23-episodes of the long-running soap opera General Hospital; not many recognizable stars take jobs like that on.

The casting of Franco certainly helps this project to sound more intriguing, and it is hoped that it will be great. On the other hand, we can’t forget that the plan is to have Weta Digital create CGI apes for the film, instead of the usual makeup/costumes we’ve seen. Still, there is the chance that the CGI will be phenomenal and will work perfectly for this particular storyline.

Rise of the Apes will be released June 24, 2011

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: pizzaboy] #574241
05/23/10 04:25 PM
05/23/10 04:25 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
They've made so many Planet of the Apes films that I don't know if they can pull yet another one off. ohwell However, I must admit the concept of this prequel does sound interesting. I assume this will be released in theaters as opposed to a tv movie??

I never saw Freaks & Geeks or Pineapple Express, and only happened to see Spiderman on tv, so I haven't seen much of James Franco at all. However, the one movie not mentioned in the article that I did see with Franco was James Dean (tv movie). I've only seen it one time and he was wonderful in it. He had Dean down perfectly IMHO.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: pizzaboy] #574242
05/23/10 04:31 PM
05/23/10 04:31 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
A "Planet of the Apes" prequel has been announced, with James Franco in the leading role. Should be interesting. We'll find out how the apes took over the earth from the humans. It's tone will be timely because the film will reportedly blame genetic engineering for the rise of the apes.

‘Planet Of The Apes’ Prequel Finds Lead In James Franco

Entertainment Weekly

The trades are reporting that James Franco has beat out numerous young Hollywood stars to grab the lead in 20th Century Fox’s Planet of the Apes prequel, Rise of the Apes.

The movie will be set in present-day San Francisco where scientists are deep into the God-playing realms of genetic engineering, which leads to the creation of a highly-intelligent species of ape who eventually rise up and rebel in an attempt to gain supremacy over humans. Franco will be playing a “driven scientist, who becomes a crucial figure in the war between humans and apes.”

Franco first broke out in Freaks and Geeks (which also introduced us to other future stars like Seth Rogen and Jason Segel), and has gone on to do a lot of different genres in his career. He’s appeared in the Spider-Man franchise, dramas like Deuces Wild, The Great Raid, Flyboys, and Milk, and maybe most-notably as the immensely-popular stoner Saul in 2008’s Pineapple Express. He’s even starred in 23-episodes of the long-running soap opera General Hospital; not many recognizable stars take jobs like that on.

The casting of Franco certainly helps this project to sound more intriguing, and it is hoped that it will be great. On the other hand, we can’t forget that the plan is to have Weta Digital create CGI apes for the film, instead of the usual makeup/costumes we’ve seen. Still, there is the chance that the CGI will be phenomenal and will work perfectly for this particular storyline.

Rise of the Apes will be released June 24, 2011

Is this movie about the Tea Party?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #574243
05/23/10 04:33 PM
05/23/10 04:33 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Franco also starred as Robert DeNiro's troubled son in "City by the Sea." A pretty decent cop flick.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: pizzaboy] #574244
05/23/10 04:37 PM
05/23/10 04:37 PM
California

California
Franco also starred as Robert DeNiro's troubled son in "City by the Sea." A pretty decent cop flick.

Ahhhh Yea, that's right. I didn't think of that one, but yes it was also good. smile

I still remember when the very first Planet of the Apes was released. I didn't see it right away, but everyone was talking about the what was then a surprise ending. Those damn dirty apes!!! wink

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 05/23/10 04:38 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #574245
05/23/10 06:42 PM
05/23/10 06:42 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
i am betting a thousand bucks that this movie will suck just like the remake.

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: BAM_233] #574248
05/23/10 08:09 PM
05/23/10 08:09 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I'm hopeful about this -- I like the series (except for the remake).

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: J Geoff] #574258
05/23/10 10:42 PM
05/23/10 10:42 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I wonder if anyone would ever be so audacious as to remake The Godfather.

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: olivant] #574259
05/23/10 10:48 PM
05/23/10 10:48 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: olivant

Ha ha ha!! Can you imagine??? eek The GF board would be hopping with activity. And boy, would we be the "qualified" critics or what??? Hu??? Who would would play Michael, Vito, etc. The nerve of these people. Nooooooooooo!! Then again, never say never. They remake movies all the time. But GF????? panic

Bite your tongue Oli. wink

TIS

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: olivant] #574260
05/23/10 11:08 PM
05/23/10 11:08 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: olivant

ill kill the heads of the who is running the project, and dispose of the bodies.

godfather, and godfather part II are on the list of movies that should never be remade. godfather part III i won't mind being remade though.

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: BAM_233] #574261
05/24/10 12:09 AM
05/24/10 12:09 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I thought Bollywood (India) was gonna remake The Godfather a couple years ago. Of course, that doesn't count now, does it. wink

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: J Geoff] #574264
05/24/10 12:36 AM
05/24/10 12:36 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
THE GODFATHER will definately get remade.

Any sort of property which people recognize inevitably gets "updated" or whatever nonsense industry lingo. Platinum Dunes, Michael Bay's company, has made a killing off producing half-ass-don't-give-a-fuck remakes of 70s/80s horror pictures.

Not saying say A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET or THE HITCHER are untouchable, but those were pretty good pictures made by people who at least cared to try to put effort and smarts and creativity into them. And they get rewarded with worthless remakes which perhaps will make more in their opening weekend than the originals ever did in their theatrical lifetime.

And besides, GODFATHER has already been whored out in recent years. From that book sequels (yeech) to that video game, a poor man's GRAND THEFT AUTO with a rich man's budget and cast. Surely this worker can turn a trick or two more?

Maybe the GODFATHER lunch box?

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

I thought Bollywood (India) was gonna remake The Godfather a couple years ago. Of course, that doesn't count now, does it. wink

Where's svsg to bang his head on the wall with his country's great cinema (waste of time)?

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #574272
05/24/10 11:06 AM
05/24/10 11:06 AM
California

California
Ok, sorry, but I think we're getting off the Ape topic BUT:

You know when they (or we) talk sequels or prequels or maybe a story/book on one of the characters in GF, I usually am for it. I know, I know, even if nine times out of ten a sequel NEVER meets up to expectations. frown BUT, the idea of a total remake is something I don't think she be. RR is probably right. I mean, they've remade a lot of films, this one IS very popular and iconic so it may be coming, and I am sure I'd still see it, but the thought of it, is not appealing to me.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 05/24/10 11:07 AM.

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #574300
05/24/10 04:39 PM
05/24/10 04:39 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Ok, sorry, but I think we're getting off the Ape topic BUT:

You know when they (or we) talk sequels or prequels or maybe a story/book on one of the characters in GF, I usually am for it. I know, I know, even if nine times out of ten a sequel NEVER meets up to expectations. frown BUT, the idea of a total remake is something I don't think she be. RR is probably right. I mean, they've remade a lot of films, this one IS very popular and iconic so it may be coming, and I am sure I'd still see it, but the thought of it, is not appealing to me.

TIS

then we will see remakes of 'wizard of oz', 'gone with the wind', 'casablanca', and finally 'rocky'.

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: BAM_233] #574319
05/24/10 10:45 PM
05/24/10 10:45 PM
California

California
If I'm not mistaken they did remake GWTW. I never saw it though. Rocky????? eek There's only one "Italian Stallion". wink

TIS

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #574320
05/24/10 11:48 PM
05/24/10 11:48 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
It wasn't a remake as much as a "sequel," because you know people out there without a life wanted to see that spoiled bitch go out and get her man back.

And something like ROCKY if remade today, wouldn't be about boxing because let's admit it, the mainstream don't give a shit about the sport anymore. Imagine the Italian Stallion as.....a Mixed Martial Artist.

YEAH!

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #574324
05/25/10 12:27 AM
05/25/10 12:27 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

ROCKY was already remade. It was called Rocky Balboa (2006) ohwell

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: J Geoff] #609941
08/05/11 04:27 PM
08/05/11 04:27 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
"Apes" seems to have gotten very positive reviews all around. I think I'll check it out this weekend.

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: pizzaboy] #609944
08/05/11 05:03 PM
08/05/11 05:03 PM
California

California
"Apes" seems to have gotten very positive reviews all around. I think I'll check it out this weekend.

You know I heard about this movie and actually was nixing it, not really knowing much about it. Another Ape movie. rolleyes BUT, after seeing the previews and hearing the reviews, it sounds like it might be pretty good. Those apes look really creepy don't they?

Btw, they said it's a prequel..to the first one I assume??? I'm don't really even know what the storyline is. I'll have to check it out. smile

"Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!" lol

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 08/05/11 05:06 PM.

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: pizzaboy] #610215
08/09/11 02:09 AM
08/09/11 02:09 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I saw the trailer a couple times, and every time I was like, "WTF is this CGI bullshit doing ruining the franchise?!"

And so far I still think that.

Someone I know who saw it (a friend of the franchise) said it stunk, so I agreed to wait for Netflix -- despite the fact that I own the DVD boxsets for the complete movie and TV series (and the first remake).

but... fake apes and bad CGI aside... how's the story?

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: J Geoff] #610227
08/09/11 05:58 AM
08/09/11 05:58 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
My girlfriend and I went to see RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES on Friday. As suggested by the title, it is an origin story. It is about a researcher (James Franco) who has been working on a vaccine for Alzheimer's. Naturally, the drug is being tested on chimps, and the results show that not only does the drug repair brain damage, it IMPROVES cognitive functions. From here, it's pretty easy to see where this is headed, so I'll leave the story bits at that.

As to whether or not it was a good film, the answer is an emphatic no. It was, in fact, A GREAT FILM! The story is pretty heavy (for a summer blockbuster), and the special effects are among the best I have ever seen. They are so good, you actually develop an emotional investment in the apes, and by the 2nd half you're rooting for them! There are a few "plot conveniences" scattered throughout (a love interest, characters who are bad for the sake of being bad), and the humans lack any real meaningful character development, but this is a movie about the apes, and in that respect, the story succeeds. Forget the Tim Burton remake and see this movie!

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: XDCX] #610243
08/09/11 11:27 AM
08/09/11 11:27 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Nice review, XDCX. Now I'm definitely going to see it this weekend smile.

Tim Burton's remake, or "re-imagining," as he put it, was the worst remake I've ever seen in any film genre.

Five most dreaded words for film fans:

Tim Burton re-imagines "The Godfather." lol

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: pizzaboy] #610246
08/09/11 11:46 AM
08/09/11 11:46 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Nice review, XDCX. Now I'm definitely going to see it this weekend smile.

Tim Burton's remake, or "re-imagining," as he put it, was the worst remake I've ever seen in any film genre.

Five most dreaded words for film fans:

Tim Burton re-imagines "The Godfather." lol

PB-
I tried send you a PM, but you're so popular that it's full. How are you liking Season 8 of CYE?

I am loving the newly single Funkhouser. Just need more Leon.

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: goombah] #610247
08/09/11 11:57 AM
08/09/11 11:57 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline OP
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Absolutely loving it, Goombah.

Thanks for telling me my "mailbox" was full. I never would have known. There's space there now if anyone needs to pm me smile.

And Goombah: Pizzaboy, at almost 52 years old, can still bring the ruckus.

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: pizzaboy] #610266
08/09/11 01:21 PM
08/09/11 01:21 PM
California

California
I guess I don't know much about CGI, BUT I thought the effects looked neat. confused

PB, a full mailbox hu? You must be pretty popular. wink

TIS

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: pizzaboy] #610306
08/09/11 05:25 PM
08/09/11 05:25 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Is this movie about the Tea Party?

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: pizzaboy] #610354
08/10/11 06:40 AM
08/10/11 06:40 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
veneratio Offline
Sicilian Paisan
veneratio  Offline
Sicilian Paisan
Capo
Wellington, New Zealand
This was alright, the acting wasn't solid as but the effects themselves are worth seeing it I think. It was quite enjoyable! Could be teed up for another one too!

"Just when I thought I was out.. They pull me back in"
Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: J Geoff] #610748
08/12/11 11:57 PM
08/12/11 11:57 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: J Geoff

I saw the trailer a couple times, and every time I was like, "WTF is this CGI bullshit doing ruining the franchise?!"

And so far I still think that.

Someone I know who saw it (a friend of the franchise) said it stunk, so I agreed to wait for Netflix -- despite the fact that I own the DVD boxsets for the complete movie and TV series (and the first remake).

but... fake apes and bad CGI aside... how's the story?

Geoff, it was fantastic. Nothing like the cheap rippoff remake that was made a few years ago. This one has a really great original story with a whole new curve. Fantastic special effects.

If you are already a Planet Of The Apes fan, then you will love this one. If you aren't a Planet of the Apes fan, then this one will make you become one.

A hint without spoiling anything: pay close attention to the little inuendos and indirect references that are made to the original movies. And do NOT leave once the credits begin to roll.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: Don Cardi] #610955
08/13/11 06:35 PM
08/13/11 06:35 PM
California

California
Thanks for the review DC. I must admit it DOES look good. If I see it I will make sure to stay thru the credits. smile

Speaking of the ending,I remember the first Planet of the Apes ending?? The one with Charlton Heston? I remember friends coming back from seeing it and emphasizing the ending and to make sure to not leave (like we'd leave before it's over)LOL. It blew everyone away at the time. I saw it and felt the same. I didn't see it coming. Great finale.

I never saw the last remake (with Mark Wahlberg) but it's been on tv this week off/on.

TIS

Re: Rise of the Apes [Re: pizzaboy] #612777
08/29/11 02:30 PM
08/29/11 02:30 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Saw the film. Overall, I thought it was well-done, but I found the ending rather abrupt. Gee, I wonder if they were setting up for a sequel?

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull