Originally posted by Guineapig:
Without logic there is nothing but disorder, obviously. Let emotions inundate the heart of the fool and lead him to his death. Feelings have most often gotten in the way and found themselves up the 'owner's' lower end of the alimentary canal.
Logical to whom? Where would our species be if a mother was not emotionally attached to her child? There is LOTS of evidence to show what happens to a baby if it is neglected, and certainly death does nothing to further it. Nature's LOGIC, not man's, works well here. I would go as far as saying that the warmth women feel for other's children is a survival mechanism for the community of the tribe where shared care used to be a necessity amongst the hardship of just daily dying and living. There is a plethora of articles, studies, etc on how the biology of organisms is linked to the sociology of their behavior. I think it is simply fascinating AND logical from a genetic standpoint. It is hard to adapt against something so inherently coded within us.

Yet mutations happen all the time.

This is not to say I do not agree with you that some over-emotions can be a person's downfall. I always liked the adage 'Sentiment is egg on your plate. Sentimentality is egg on your face.' There are too many examples of what happens when we throw logic out the window and give in to the sappiness that creates our doom. But that is entirely different from this topic I believe.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"