Originally posted by Saladbar: Logical to whom? Where would our species be if a mother was not emotionally attached to her child? There is LOTS of evidence to show what happens to a baby if it is neglected, and certainly death does nothing to further it. Nature's LOGIC, not man's, works well here. I would go as far as saying that the warmth women feel for other's children is a survival mechanism for the community of the tribe where shared care used to be a necessity amongst the hardship of just daily dying and living. There is a plethora of articles, studies, etc on how the biology of organisms is linked to the sociology of their behavior. I think it is simply fascinating AND logical from a genetic standpoint. It is hard to adapt against something so inherently coded within us.
This one is for Iraq, then I'm off to bed; dear Salad.

Logical for whoever has invested something to expect something else back, and to protect that investment somehow. If I raise crops, I will try to defend them from getting trampled. We have adapted employing logic, I would call that man's logic.