Yep, from that point it was downhill all the way, no question about it.

What I'm trying to understand (if there is even a logical explanation) was why Stracci and Cuneo were (outwardly) neutral up until that point, given all that had transpired concerning the Turk's attempt on a Don's life and the resulting Corleone-Tattaglia hostilities.

Sure, they may have been secretly delighted to see two rival families go to war--no skin off their nose--but not, I would've thought for that particular reason . . . unless they were somehow perhaps also involved, along with Barzini.

For instance, the Don later calling the meeting of the assorted powerful Dons from around the country seems to suggest the existence of some sort of 'Commission', as occurred in real life. The most fundamental rule of such a body (out of self-preservation, if nothing else!) is that you don't whack a Don without the Commission's approval. That is--supposedly, at least--just plain suicide.

Ergo: unless such a 'Commission' simply does not exist in the world of The Godfather, then Stracci and Cuneo undoubtedly sit on that panel, and therefore unless actually somehow culpable for the attempt on Don Corleone's life, they should have been absolutely outraged against Sollozzo and Tattaglia at least (and Barzini, too, had they known of his involvement)--and all well before Michael ever decided that he was really his father's son, after all.

I just can't get my head around why exactly Stracci and Cuneo did not, very early on, join with Sonny in demanding Sollozzo's head on a platter--and perhaps even Tattaglia's, also.

I'm open to suggestions! smile

Interactive Fiction Author
Current project - 1920s Prohibition novel
'Vendetta: Rise of a Gangster'