GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 727 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 69,052
DE NIRO 44,954
J Geoff 31,300
Hollander 26,500
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,612
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,838
Posts1,070,313
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: Mignon] #656911
07/24/12 08:41 PM
07/24/12 08:41 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: Mignon
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
If you think that madmen only act when there are no guns around, please tell that to Lee Harvey Oswald, Sirhan Sirhan, Jack Ruby and John Hinkley. What about the shooting at Fort Hood? Do you think that's a gun-free zone? Puh-leeze.

And I don't know where you're getting your facts, TB, but according to statehealthfacts.org, when ranked from low to high in firearm deaths per 100,000 people, New York, NJ and California are actually among the lowest. The highest rates belongs to Alaska and the District of Columbia, and the lowest to Hawaii.

The United States has one of the highest firearms death rates in the world. We are exceeded by South Africa and Colombia, though, so PHEW, because those bastions of peace and freedom are good company to keep. You could add up the number of gun deaths in most of Europe and Asia, toss in Canada, and you still wouldn't come close to the number of gun deaths in the US. Is it because they have more restrictive gun laws, or are we more inherently violent??

OMG You honestly think that people are allowed to bring personal weapons on a military base PUL-LEASE!! Only security and police have the weapons.

There will be shootings in gun safe zones (less)and gun free zones(criminal safety zones) because there is evil in the world. Just don't take my right away from me to defend myself and my family.
\

Why don't you bother to READ what other people write. You said that these shootings take place in gun-free zones, and I stated that the last place on earth that is a gun-free zone is a military base.

Also, nobody said that anyone wants to take your precious guns away. I said that if people want to own guns for hunting or home protection, I don't have a problem with it. It's NOT MY THING, but I don't think I should stop you from doing so.

However, I posted a story about a man in my area who fired on deer from the roof of his home with a 12 gauge shotgun, a gun which doesn't require a license to own. That's not right. Guns should be licensed. Guns should be controlled. And I think that someone shouldn't be able to buy 6,000 rounds of ammunition in 90 days, it needs to be better regulated. I also disagree with being able to buy these magazines that allow someone to fire so destructively.

So, Mig, READ what's written before you respond, especially since you're just going to repeat yourself and not actually respond to what people write.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: klydon1] #656919
07/24/12 09:14 PM
07/24/12 09:14 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
i dont believe in the whole left vs right game that this country likes to play. i look at every issue seperate, something many don't do and simply side with thier "team". however, in this senario i tend to favor the right. reason being,especially with gun politics is the left looks at it as a football game, where the goal is to win but you need the yards first.(the right is guilty of this on many issues as well) what i mean by this is that they know that at this time at least that a gun ban isn't gonna fly. so what they do is go for small gains, ie more gun regs. its the classic government(both right and left) ploy. for example,we have been conditioned to think that income taxes are just a part of life, everyone pays end of story. it didnt used to be that way, but has been so for so long that nobody even questions it anymore.

what it comes down to is that its in human nature for the more powerful people to want control over the less powerful. government is no different. like i've stated before once it starts, where does it end with the regulation? plenty of laws are already on the books, some states stricter than others. i would rather live in a free society and take my chances with the lone wolf.

SB, you mentioned the jerk that let loose with his shotgun. thats terrible and at the very least i think that his ability to possess firearms should be reevaluated but i'm curious as to what you think the solution should be in terms of more regulation? i'm not sure what kind of backround check the government could preform that would be able to weed out every wacko who wants to purchase a firearm.

last point i wanna make is that while its obvious that lots of us on here have differing opinions, its nice to see that we can at least discuss it without being nasty to each other. more than i can say for some of the other message boards i'm a member of!

It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck yer mudda!
Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: klydon1] #656921
07/24/12 09:27 PM
07/24/12 09:27 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I don't know what the solution is, FF. I wish I did. However, the fact that NY is considered quite strict regarding gun control, and yet you can buy a shotgun without a license really disturbs me. The fact that the Virginia Tech killer was able to buy his weapons without his mental health problems, all well-documented, being an issue really disturbs me. The fact that you can buy guns at a gun show and walk out with them that same day disturbs me, which is how the Columbine shooters got their weapons.

Like I've said repeatedly here, I don't have a problem with law-abiding citizens obtaining weapons for personal use. However, I do believe that every gun purchase should require a waiting period of no more than a few days to enable the government to perform a background check, and it should require a license. Maybe there should also be mandatory safety training to try and cut down on accidental shootings. That's certainly not unreasonable.

I would like to ask how one buys ammunition? Is there a limit? Do you need to show ID? Does it vary from state to state? I would like to know more before I could possibly try to offer an alternative to the way it's done now.

Also, I asked a question several posts up, and I was sincere about wanting to know people's opinion. Since the USA is 4th in the world in firearm deaths per 100,000 people, is it because we lack gun control or are Americans more violent by nature???

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: Sicilian Babe] #656923
07/24/12 09:34 PM
07/24/12 09:34 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
I don't know what the solution is, FF. I wish I did. However, the fact that NY is considered quite strict regarding gun control, and yet you can buy a shotgun without a license really disturbs me. The fact that the Virginia Tech killer was able to buy his weapons without his mental health problems, all well-documented, being an issue really disturbs me. The fact that you can buy guns at a gun show and walk out with them that same day disturbs me, which is how the Columbine shooters got their weapons.

Like I've said repeatedly here, I don't have a problem with law-abiding citizens obtaining weapons for personal use. However, I do believe that every gun purchase should require a waiting period of no more than a few days to enable the government to perform a background check, and it should require a license. Maybe there should also be mandatory safety training to try and cut down on accidental shootings. That's certainly not unreasonable.

I would like to ask how one buys ammunition? Is there a limit? Do you need to show ID? Does it vary from state to state? I would like to know more before I could possibly try to offer an alternative to the way it's done now.

Also, I asked a question several posts up, and I was sincere about wanting to know people's opinion. Since the USA is 4th in the world in firearm deaths per 100,000 people, is it because we lack gun control or are Americans more violent by nature???

Don't know the answers to your questions at the end. But i agree with everything else you said.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: Sicilian Babe] #656926
07/24/12 09:50 PM
07/24/12 09:50 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey

fair questions. the point i wanna make is that if a smart women and world class cook like you isn't sure on what regulations to impose, then how should our shitbag government decide? regarding shotguns, they are not considered "assault weapons", even by those jokesters working at cnn and msnbc(fox news has an equal amount of trash working for them). i would also like to applaud you for trying to learn more about the topic as thats more than most people do. education is the key to all issues, not just guns.

regarding training, thats usually the case for the majority of states that allow concealed carry, which im not apposed to at all. the problem is that if it was required to purchase a shotgun it would create a buerocratic bottleneck that would take months if not longer to clear up. a shotgun is way easier to use than a computer, it just takes common sense. i wouldn't be apposed to a training class, but imo a gun dealer should be licensed to teach one and it should be able to happen that same day as it doesn't take long to learn how to use a gun. the sad truth is that if such regulations were to become mandatory, guess who is gonna be in charge of the class? the federal government, and along with that comes all the shit that we have come to expect from them on every issue available.

along those same line, who is gonna decide how much said class is gonna cost? who is gonna be eligable to take the class? before you know it they will have created so much red tape that they can claim its still legal for a civilian to own a firearm but it will not be possible for anyone without tons of money and free time on thier hands which most people don't have in these tough times.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: klydon1] #656931
07/24/12 10:11 PM
07/24/12 10:11 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I agree that red tape can be a nightmare, but no more so than cleaning up the blood of innocent victims. If such regulations could possibly help save lives, aren't they worth it? I'm not talking about a long class, but a basic safety classes, stressing the importance of locking up guns, especially if there are children in the house (seems like a given, yet it's not), basics about the safe use and storage of these guns.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: Sicilian Babe] #656934
07/24/12 10:21 PM
07/24/12 10:21 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
I agree that red tape can be a nightmare, but no more so than cleaning up the blood of innocent victims. If such regulations could possibly help save lives, aren't they worth it? I'm not talking about a long class, but a basic safety classes, stressing the importance of locking up guns, especially if there are children in the house (seems like a given, yet it's not), basics about the safe use and storage of these guns.

then we have the other problem, illegal guns and the black market. either way guns will always be on the street and those like james holmes will always find a way to kill. if anything expect the same thing that happened to gambling,alcohol, and drugs.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: klydon1] #656937
07/24/12 10:29 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
None of the posts in this thread acknowledge the interpretation and application of the US Constitution's 2nd amendment nor similar provisions of state constitutions. The Court's Heller decision a few years ago has failed to spark much of a movement to limit or eliminate federal government constraints on firearms (nor those of states). However, there's no longer much of an effort to impose constraints either. Trying now to impose additional constraints would motivate the NRA to resurrect Heller and the NRA would probably get its way.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: klydon1] #656938
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Quote:
Women Who Survived Theater Shooting Grieve for Hero Boyfriends
By CHRISTINA NG and DAN HARRIS
Good Morning America
July 24, 2012

Of the 12 people killed in the Aurora theater shooting, four of them were men who made the ultimate sacrifice to protect their girlfriends. Now, each of these women are struggling to come to terms with both their grief and their gratitude.

Alexander Teves, 24, attended the midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" with his girlfriend Amanda Lindgren , 24,and another friend.

When suspected gunman James Holmes opened fire in the sold out theater, Teves immediately lunged to block Lindgren from the gunfire.

"I was really, really confused at first about what was going on, so confused," Lindgren told ABC News. "But, it's like Alex didn't even hesitate. Because I sat there for a minute, not knowing what was going on, and he held me down and he covered my head and he said, 'Shh stay down. It's ok. Shh just stay down.' So I did."

Teves blocked the bullets from Lindgren but he was shot and killed. She was not hit.

"He was my angel that night, but he was my angel every day I knew him," Lindgren said. "I'm broken."

Lindgren reflected on the profoundly close relationship she had with Teves, saying that the couple would not go an hour in the day "without missing each other terribly."

"My other half was just ripped apart from me and so for me it's still unreal," she said. "I can't picture my life without him.

How do you? When someone loves you that much and you love somebody that much…how do you believe that this is real? And of all places. We were in that theater, that specific room. We were just supposed to watch a movie."

When asked if she thought Teves knew he was putting himself in danger for her, Lindgren said, "I know he did. He'd do anything for me. He always told me that, too. I just wish I could have protected him the same way he protected me."

Teves' father Tom Teves is also devastated, but said that his son is still with him.

"I'm hollow. But Alex has come and brought me…from heaven, he's been bringing me hope," Teves told ABC News. "He's still my inspiration. And I know now more than ever that there is a God.

Because of Alex. Because Alex is still coming through. Because that's the kind of man he is."

Elsewhere in theater nine, John Larimer and his girlfriend Julia Vojtsek went through a similar situation.

U.S. Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class John Larimer, 26, and his girlfriend Julia Vojtsek, 23, were sitting int the middle of the theater when the shooting began.

"John immediately and instinctively covered me and brought me to the ground in order to protect me from any danger," Vojtsek wrote in a statement. "Moments later, John knowingly shielded me from a spray of gunshots. It was then I believe John was hit with a bullet that would have very possibly struck me. I feel very strongly that I was saved by John and his ultimate kindness."

The couple had known each other since they were 21 and 18 years old when they met working at a Chili's in Illinois, where they are both from. Larimer was home for the summer from school and Vojtsek was getting ready to go to college. They became close and stayed in touch with Facebook and text messages.

This summer, Vojtsek's father Fred Vojtsek came to Colorado to work for an extended period of time. When Julia Vojtsek traveled to Colorado to spend part of her summer with her father, she told him that Larimer was stationed in Aurora and he encouraged her to see him.

Theater Survivors Grieve For Hero Boyfriends

"I wanted her to see him because he would have been a kid that a father wants to see his daughter with, a kid of values and things like that," Fred Vojtsek told ABCNews.com. He said his daughter and Larimer became boyfriend and girlfriend about three weeks ago. "So many kids these days don't really want to hear what parents have to say or engage or listen, and he did. That's what stood out with me."

"We were planning on going to church Saturday night," Vojstek said. "He was a good kid."

Fred Vojstek has been staying in a place just minutes away from from the Century 16 movie theater where the shooting took place. His panicked daughter called him as she was running out of the theater and he arrived within minutes of the shooting.

"She was hysterical and then she got more into a shock stage," Vojtsek said.

Since then, Julia Vojtsek has told her father that she was at the movie with Larimer, two other navy men and a woman. Fred Vojtsek said that after Larimer was shot, the other two navy members were "unbelievable" in making sure his daughter got out safely, even though they had just met her earlier that day.

"I'm grateful my daughter is alive and hopeful he can get through this," Vojtsek said, adding that she is "very, very traumatized."
He said that Larimer's family has been very good to his daughter and that he is "eternally grateful" for Larimer and his Navy friends for saving his daughter.

Vojtsek wrote that just weeks earlier, Larimer had spoken to her about his further advancement in the military.

"John convincingly stated to me that he wanted to be deployed for two simple reasons: He wanted to protect his country, and he wanted to save others from danger and harm," she wrote. "John adamantly wanted to make a difference in the world, and he thought that his military service would be the best chance for him to do so."

"John served his country to the fullest, fulfilling both of his goals," she added.

In addition to these two couples, Matthew McQuinn, 27, and Jon Blunk, 26, died saving their girlfriends in similar ways. Their girlfriends Samantha Yowler, 26, and Jansen Young, 21, did not respond to requests for comment.

http://news.yahoo.com/women-survived-the...topstories.html

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: Sicilian Babe] #656939
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
SB brings up ALL good points/suggestions. I don't think one needs to be a gun expert to have an opinion. While I don't know a lot about guns I do think and agree with background checks, training,, etc. Granted, we'll NEVER stop everyone but we may prevent some horrible event like Colorado and the others.

About a year or so ago, a cable channel ran a program on gun shows. They had a reporter posed as a gun buyer. He went to the gun show talked to the guy behind the counter about guns and picked one out. He asked if they did background check and the guy said yes. The "fake" buyer said, we'll you'll probably see something derogatory in my background. The guy behind the counter told him (loosely) "we can get around that."

Anyway, what I find really upsetting by most of the Right & gun owners is that it seems that even the mere discussion seems to be off limits. It's spun into "taking away 2nd amendment rights" and NOT as a matter of regulating. People buy into it and thus I have no doubt the matter is closed and NOTHING will be done. frown

Anyway,gun owners have their precious 2nd amendment right but we all also have our precious 1st amendment right as well. AND, I am trying to be as calm/kind as possible on a subject that I do feel strongly about. wink

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: klydon1] #656942
07/24/12 10:37 PM
07/24/12 10:37 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
TIS, unlike me, you always manage to make your point calmly. Must be that angelic side!

I know that the guns used in three of the most famous and deadly of these shootings, Columbine, Virginia Tech and now Aurora, were all purchased legally. That tells me that there's every chance that something is wrong with the process.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: Sicilian Babe] #656943
07/24/12 10:43 PM
07/24/12 10:43 PM
California

California
TIS, unlike me, you always manage to make your point calmly. Must be that angelic side!

I know that the guns used in three of the most famous and deadly of these shootings, Columbine, Virginia Tech and now Aurora, were all purchased legally. That tells me that there's every chance that something is wrong with the process.

SB,

And I believed you mentioned in above post, Holmes purchased a huge amount of ammo on-line (don't remember exact amount). I don't know if there's a procedure to check/question or whatever but yea, that sounds off to me as well. confused

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #656945
07/24/12 10:50 PM
07/24/12 10:50 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well TIS, at least you acknowledged the 2nd amendment. In doing so, you might also acknowledge that additional federal regulations are unlikely. That means that further regulations will only be imposed by states. That's pretty unlikely too.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: Sicilian Babe] #656948
07/24/12 10:55 PM
07/24/12 10:55 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss

to tell the truth would they have found anything on the records for the columbine shooters and holmes? if i remember right the shooters from columbine had no police history nor mental history that was documented. maybe you could argue age since they were still high school students. holmes from what has been reported was the same thing. either way virginia tech could have been avoided if there was a background check of police and mental records.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: BAM_233] #656949
07/24/12 10:58 PM
07/24/12 10:58 PM
California

California
Just a thought to build off Bam's...Holmes purchased (for what I understand) a HUGE amount of ammo on line which is legal I guess (?). IF there were any checks/balances/regulations in place, could have they checked him out; gone to his apartment and actually had busted him before he killed all those people? confused

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 07/24/12 10:59 PM.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: klydon1] #656950
07/24/12 11:00 PM
07/24/12 11:00 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
both of the shooters in the columbine massacre were underage at the time of the shootings i believe and as a result somebody had to purchase the weapons for them, which was against the law. see how that works. another issue which was hardly discussed was that at least one of the shooters, i think it was dylan clebolt, was on some sort of ssri(anti-depressant). these drugs have proven time and time again to cause terrible problems, yet its rarely looked at. bottom line if you ask me is that we need to hold individuals accountable for thier actions and understand that in a truely free society we have risks. sometimes they are terrible, but thats the price we pay.

one final example i can give is the OKC bombinigs. that man killed scores more, yet he didnt use any firearms. nobody pushed to restrict the sale of fertilizer after that. guns are an inanimate object and they are no more dangerous than the person using them. is it easier to kill people with a gun than with a knife? sure but the bottom line is that humans have been killing each other for as long as we have been around and its not going to stop if a tool is highly restricted. humans are also very adaptive and as soon as guns are banned knives will be the next biggest killer as they are in the uk. the rules that i live by are treat other people as you would like to be treated and be nice. its sad that its not the case but don't give up, people aren't evil for the most part, some of us are just fucking crazy and should be dealt with accordingly just not at the expense of the majority!

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: Sicilian Babe] #656951
07/24/12 11:03 PM
07/24/12 11:03 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Like I've said repeatedly here, I don't have a problem with law-abiding citizens obtaining weapons for personal use.

Law abiding is the key issue. People who want to ban all guns (mostly people who've never owned one) mislead themselves and others by assuming that a ban will end gun violence. Any law enforcement officer will tell you that the bad guys always get guns. Not a coincidence that Washington DC has the highest rate of gun crimes--and makes it practically impossible for law-abiding citizens to defend themselves.

I believe that states and localities have a right to use sensible gun controls to assure public safety. Rules differ by state because states have different needs for public safety. When I lived in NJ, I had to go through a lengthy, complex background check before I got a gun permit. Background check (federal only) took ten minutes in AZ. But I got what I wanted because I'm a law-abiding citizen.

In 2006, when I got my CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) permit here, only two homicides were committed by CCW holders. No surprise: Anyone who goes through the extensive training, background check and fingerprinting to get a CCW is by definition a law-abiding citizen.
Quote:
However, I do believe that every gun purchase should require a waiting period of no more than a few days to enable the government to perform a background check, and it should require a license. Maybe there should also be mandatory safety training to try and cut down on accidental shootings. That's certainly not unreasonable.

Some states and localities do require that.

Quote:

Again, it varies by state. NJ requires ID to buy ammo locally, but there are no checks for buying ammo mail-order. Mass., Alaska and Illinois ban mail order purchases--over-the-counter only. There are no limits to the amount of ammo you can buy mail order. Some people buy in bulk because they get big discounts for bulk--just like the discounts we get for buying the 55-gallon drum of extra virgin olive oil at Costco. wink

Quote:

Fair question. I don't know the answer. I think that violence is a big part of popular culture in the US. Recall that horror comics were banned in the Fifties because they were thought to warp kids' minds. The FCC and Hollywood's Code Enforcement Office periodically attempted to curb depictions of violence in TV shows and movies. Sex and nudity used to be banned in films. All of that censorship went away because, at the end of the day, people want that stuff. Go into any movie theater today and watch the trailers: they always show the "action" scenes, complete with bombs and guns, and they crank up the volume. Is that a cause of gun massacres? Did it influence the shooters? Who knows? I will bet that, as the Aurora case unfolds, we'll find that the bastard is seriously unbalanced.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #656953
07/24/12 11:05 PM
07/24/12 11:05 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Just a thought to build off Bam's...Holmes purchased (for what I understand) a HUGE amount of ammo on line which is legal I guess (?). IF there were any checks/balances/regulations in place, could have they checked him out; gone to his apartment and actually had busted him before he killed all those people? confused

TIS

if there was something like the DEA for guns/ammo then yes they probably would have checked up on holmes or busted him. i mean people do get busted by the DEA if they buy so much cough syrup or what not for drug making.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: BAM_233] #656954
07/24/12 11:08 PM
07/24/12 11:08 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: BAM_233
if there was something like the DEA for guns/ammo then yes they probably would have checked up on holmes or busted him. i mean people do get busted by the DEA if they buy so much cough syrup or what not for drug making.
i dont understand what you mean by busting him? before he commited the crime? am i missing something?

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: Five_Felonies] #656955
07/24/12 11:10 PM
07/24/12 11:10 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
Originally Posted By: BAM_233
i dont understand what you mean by busting him? before he commited the crime? am i missing something?

i added that in because of the bomb equipment, and maybe tear gas.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: klydon1] #657129
07/25/12 10:20 PM
07/25/12 10:20 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
FF, people will always find a way to kill. However, a lone knife-wielding madman can't slaughter a dozen people and wound dozens more. As for the Columbine killers, yes someone went to a gunshow and walked out with the weapons the same day. The ease with which these weapons are available frightens me.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: klydon1] #657189
07/26/12 07:34 AM
07/26/12 07:34 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
It is nice that despite the strong feelings on both sides people have generally been respectful of others' opinions.

Most gun homicides and shootings are carried out with handguns and not rifles, so the Federal AWB had little to zero impact on crime. Indeed as others have pointed out there's only a cosmetic difference between an "assault rifle" and any other semi-automatic rifle. My grandfather's M1 doesn't look like an "assault rifle" but it fires a more powerful round than the AR-15.

After the VT shooting there were tighter restrictions placed on mentally ill people making gun purchases. But as far as I know right now, the Colorado shooter hadn't been found mentally disturbed. So his purchases were legal. Maybe more information will come out later.

As far as the ammo purchases setting off a red flag, perhaps. The government already has the ability, with or without warrant to collect and collate a rather frightening amount of information on you. Is that a good thing? I don't think so. Do we want the government to take the next step and maybe under NDAA start to indefinitely detain people? Because right now it looks like the killer was law-abiding right up until the time that he wasn't. So even if some ATF/Homeland Security/FBI agent had noticed this guy bought 6000 rounds, what do we want them to do with that information?

I think there are some reasonable restrictions on the right to bear arms that both sides can agree on (ie. automatic weapons are already severely limited) but the fear is that people like Bloomberg seemingly don't think that citizens should have weapons, period.

I am not crazy about guns but they can be necessary tools for self-defense. I haven't done this myself but I do know people that will go through hundreds of rounds at the gun range in a weekend or even a single night. rolleyes

Short of repealing the Second Amendment, I don't see a way out of this.
I want to maintain the ability to defend me and mine. Can we do that while preventing crazy people or criminals from obtaining guns? If so I support.

Even with a six shot revolver, if someone really knows what he is doing he could put a scary number of bullets downrange in seconds.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: klydon1] #657190
07/26/12 07:49 AM
07/26/12 07:49 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #657336
07/27/12 02:59 AM
07/27/12 02:59 AM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Hi TIS it is legal to buy ammo and guns online. My hub buys ammo all the time on line.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: BAM_233] #657453
07/27/12 07:23 PM
07/27/12 07:23 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
[/quote]

if there was something like the DEA for guns/ammo then yes they probably would have checked up on holmes or busted him. i mean people do get busted by the DEA if they buy so much cough syrup or what not for drug making. [/quote]

There is its called the ATF- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, but like most other agencies there budget continues to get slashed by the GOP so they are only able to primarily focus on major investigations of Bikers, Cartels, etc.

Last edited by Dapper_Don; 07/27/12 07:24 PM.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: klydon1] #657457
07/27/12 07:30 PM
07/27/12 07:30 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey

Last edited by Five_Felonies; 07/27/12 07:30 PM.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: Dapper_Don] #657463
07/27/12 07:38 PM
07/27/12 07:38 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
[/quote]

There is its called the ATF- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, but like most other agencies there budget continues to get slashed by the GOP so they are only able to primarily focus on major investigations of Bikers, Cartels, etc. [/quote]

thanks for the info dapper. yea im not surprised that the government did that. and, i doubt anybody will try to put money back into the agency.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: klydon1] #657486
07/27/12 10:07 PM
07/27/12 10:07 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
So, I can buy as many bullets as I want with no oversight, but if I have a cold and have to buy a box of Sudafed, I need to show photo ID which is entered into a national database.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: Sicilian Babe] #657507
07/27/12 10:45 PM
07/27/12 10:45 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Neither the US Constitution nor the constitution of any state directly or indirectly addresses Sudafed or any drug. Pharmaceuticals are addressed by federal and state stautory law.

Re: Colorado Shooting [Re: Sicilian Babe] #657641
07/28/12 05:58 PM
07/28/12 05:58 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
So, I can buy as many bullets as I want with no oversight, but if I have a cold and have to buy a box of Sudafed, I need to show photo ID which is entered into a national database.

SB, We hardly ever agree about anything on here but I agree with you about showing ID just to get cold medicine.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull