Originally Posted By: conopizza
speaking of old Joseph Valachi, stumbled on this today, his birthday--

http://hilobrow.com/2012/09/22/joseph-valachi

Be interesting to see some of the manuscript Valachi actually wrote and was then suppressed by the Justice Department though I don't think it's ever leaked or if anyone besides Peter Maas had a copy.

Valachi´s manuscipt (I think) is called "The Real Thing" and is available in only a few copies. In very few instances, "The Real Deal" has been used as basis for some of the stories on Valachi. But they are far between. Also there is the transcript from the Valachi Senate Hearings which I have a copy of. I mention this because I want to point out that Maas´s book is a simplified version of Valachi´s life, in the same way Pileggi and Scorsese simplified the book "Wiseguy" and the movie "GoodFellas" (which are both extremely good pieces of art, don´t get me wrong), but they were made for the masses. Simplifying avoids confusion among the readers and viewers, shutting out the complexity of a story portraying a lifetime.

In Maas´s book for example, the purge, or the night of the Sicilian Vespers, is mentioned as info coming from Valachi himself. But in reality, Valachi only spoke of three murders in connection with the Maranzano killing, and not the large amount of 50, 60 or whatever slain mustache petes all over the country. Of course, Maas had to mention the purge when he wrote his book because it helped sell it, even if there was no evidence supporting the purge at all.

Last edited by HairyKnuckles; 09/22/12 02:49 PM.

[Linked Image]