Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
Originally Posted By: Lilo
smile When you first go register to vote you have to provide driver's license or social security card or personal id or birth certificate which are things only citizens can obtain. Afterwards when you go to vote they check your name against a list. You sign a card saying you're you and vote..

Not really, I'm not a citizen, but when I came there, I got a social security card and a driver's license. So short of an american birth certificate and an american passport, you could get any other form of ID and not be a citizen. I imagine when you register, they run down your information and social security number to see if you are a citizen or not.

Yes they do verify.
Every state has different standards for driver's license. In Michigan
you have to have id (driver's licence or personal id) to register to vote the first time.
In order to get those things you need to show ss card, and/or birth certificate, some form of photo id, proof of Michigan residency, or passport, or validation from parent or guardian that you're you. Check this link

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/Applying_for_lic_or_ID_SOS_428_222146_7.pdf

Once you're verified in the system that's it. It's been decades since I first registered and I have moved a lot. But in a few weeks when I go vote, no one will ask me for any of that. I just sign an affidavit, give my name and vote. Theoretically some nefarious non-citizen could show up and vote in my place before I got to the precinct but that just hasn't happened. smile

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.