Italian gangs seem to have fairly limited power outside Italy. Camorra and Ndrangheta have a fairly strong presence in Germany, a bit of a presence in parts of France and Spain, and some lucrative alliances in the Balkans, but in all these areas they are less of an influence than Turkish/Kurdish/Albanian/Romanian/Russian gangs.

The top tier of organised crime in Europe is mainly drugs and sex trafficking and these days that almost all arrives in central Europe via Turkey and the Balkans. Those guys are a different breed to Italian gangs. They are more ruthless, more desperate, more loyal and less scared of jail. Corny as it sounds, honour and oaths still mean a lot to many of those guys, particularly the Turks. If the average guy in your gang would happily die to keep his word, or do 30 years rather than break a promise, you've got a pretty powerful crew. Add in the fact that many of these guys grew up in gut-wrenching poverty in Eastern Europe, so a UK or German prison is not as big a deterrent as it would be for you or I.

There's also the idea that there are hardly any 'Little Italy'-type areas in Europe, whereas almost every city in Europe has a Turkish or Eastern European area.

Speaking personally, I live in Dalston/Stoke Newington in East London, which is at the heart of London's Turkish community. I'm English/Sicilian but i may as well live in Istanbul as its SOOO Turkish in this area. I quite like that for the most part, but my point is that organised crime is about as obvious and unspoken here as I imagine it was in NYC's Italian neighborhoods in the 20s or 30s. EVERY single shop here pays protection money and its not all that uncommon to see or hear about shopkeepers being dragged out their shops and beaten up - presumably for not paying up. Grim as it is, just this Saturday afternoon I saw three guys dragging a woman who was clearly a prostitute down the road by her arm. She'd lost her balance and was literally being dragged along. I saw the same three guys getting out a blacked-out Merc about two hours later. They started hammering on the door of a closed nightclub. When nobody answered one of the guys started trying (and failing) to kick down the door. These were fully grown men, in their 30s or 40s, not kids mucking about. And it was about 4pm, and still light, on a busy high street. Absolutely nobody in the local Turkish community says a thing about it. There are no 'speak out against' groups, its generally just accepted as part of life, and other than the odd random raid on a 'social club', the police find it very hard to penetrate. That said, a raid about 10 years ago uncovered a mini torture chamber in one 'social club':
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/organised-crime-the-godfather-of-green-lanes-476208.html

Last edited by johnnyboysala; 01/07/13 02:35 PM.