Hi Ivan,

Regarding Family Secrets, I don’t know if Marcello would have been a big influence in bringing the Outfit back to strength. He was in prison from 95-03, then back to prison for FS in 05. From what I’ve read his rackets appear to have been the same old, same old, so nothing new there. In terms of the other guys, Frank Sr. had been in prison since 95. Hard to say how involved Lombardo was at that point, if I was a betting man, he appeared pretty gun shy and had been trying very, very hard to not go back to prison. Schiro and Doyle of course were basically non-factors.

One thing I occassionally wonder about is the possibility of any of the above flipping. Some of the mobsters of course talk the talk and walk the walk, but I have to say it seems like if you were literally facing the rest of your life in prison with zero chance for parole, it would be pretty tempting to start singing.

From a purely selfish standpoint, I think it would be amazing to read, for instance, Lombardo’s completely unvarnished life story—if he really told everything he ever knew and everything he had ever heard. He must know nearly everything about the Outfit.