GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (m2w, British, joepuzzles234), 873 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 69,108
DE NIRO 44,955
J Geoff 31,300
Hollander 26,557
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,613
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,844
Posts1,070,538
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19
Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #708770
04/06/13 12:50 PM
04/06/13 12:50 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
What happened to the golden plates and what did they state?

Last edited by olivant; 04/06/13 12:51 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: DOMA [Re: olivant] #708773
04/06/13 01:06 PM
04/06/13 01:06 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Separation between church and state is not as clear cut as you think. Rastafarians aren't allowed to smoke weed, for example.

Last edited by dontomasso; 04/06/13 01:07 PM.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: DOMA [Re: olivant] #708775
04/06/13 01:08 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: olivant
What happened to the golden plates

Read the last full paragraph at the bottom.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/js?lang=eng

and what did they state?

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/introduction?lang=eng

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: DOMA [Re: IvyLeague] #708776
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
DD, while I was somewhat aware of the origins of Mormonism, I wasn't aware of the detail you provided. It appears that, just like Islam, Mormonism has co-opted some of Christianity to constitute some of its doctrine.

I have heard Mormonism referred to as counterfeit Christianity. Religions are like life forms. They evolve and branch. If humans are apes, Mormons are Christians.

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

As I demonstrated above, I don't think DD is a good source on Mormonism. And your quick approach of taking what he says on an internet forum at face value suggests you're not really concerned about the facts of Mormonism's origins.

No need to go after him. Fact is, I have a number of highly acclaimed books, studies/articles on Mormonism which have been lauded by individuals who are both religious and not. I think my description of Mormonism was pretty succinct. Your not exactly impartial on this issue Ivy.

According to the narrative regarding the submarine, the people were guided by God through the wilderness, and were eventually directed to cross the sea in "barges". These vessels were sealed and watertight and able to be swamped by waves without sinking.Air was obtained from outside the vessels as needed.They also brought with them animals, and food for themselves and their animals.The recorded length of the trip was 344 days.

Like anything else, one should do their own research into Mormonism and decide for themselves.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: DOMA [Re: dontomasso] #708778
04/06/13 01:11 PM
04/06/13 01:11 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Separation between church and state is not as clear cut as you think. Rastafarians aren't allowed to smoke weed, for example.

The Rastafari movement encompasses themes such as the spiritual use of cannabis. Often accompanied by Bible study; they consider it a sacrament that cleans the body and mind, heals the soul, exalts the consciousness, facilitates peacefulness, brings pleasure, and brings them closer to Jah. They often burn the herb when in need of insight from Jah. Cannabis remains illegal in Jamaica and most of the world and this has caused friction between Rastas and modern societies.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?

Re: DOMA [Re: dontomasso] #708779
04/06/13 01:18 PM
04/06/13 01:18 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: dontomasso

That's a good point. "Separation of church and state" certainly didn't stop the government from interfering with the Mormon church's practice of polygamy.

While those who constantly cite the phrase "separation of church and state" don't want religion interfering with the state, they rarely seem to have a problem with the state interfering with religion.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 04/06/13 01:32 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: DOMA [Re: Dapper_Don] #708781
04/06/13 01:32 PM
04/06/13 01:32 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
I have heard Mormonism referred to as counterfeit Christianity. Religions are like life forms. They evolve and branch. If humans are apes, Mormons are Christians.

First, I object to your assumption that mankind stems from apes. But that's another topic.

Second, Mormons are not like Protestants, who actually did stem from Catholicism. It's why so many Protestants, and to a lesser extent Catholics, have often said they don't consider us Christian at all.

The statement below may be of interest. It was made by a Catholic scholar to a Mormon leader when he was visiting Utah many years ago.

"You Mormons are all ignoramuses. You don’t even know the strength of your own position. It is so strong that there is only one other position tenable in the whole Christian world, and that is the position of the Roman Catholic church. The issue is between Mormonism and Catholicism. If you are right, we are wrong. If we are right, you are wrong, and that’s all there is to it. These Protestant sects haven’t a leg to stand on; for if we are right, we cut them off long ago, as apostates; and if we are wrong, they are wrong with us, for they were a part of us and came out of us. If we have the apostolic succession from St. Peter, as we claim, there was no need of Joseph Smith and Mormonism; but if we have not that apostolic succession, then such a man as Joseph Smith was necessary, and Mormonism’s position is the only consistent one. It is either the perpetuation of the Gospel from ancient times or the restoration of the Gospel in latter days.”

No need to go after him. Fact is, I have a number of highly acclaimed books, studies/articles on Mormonism which have been lauded by individuals who are both religious and not. I think my description of Mormonism was pretty succinct. Your not exactly impartial on this issue Ivy.

You started the "going after" stuff. Again, I wasn't going after Catholicism (like you are Mormonism) but your adherence to it.

I'm not sure which books you have on Mormonism but, while your description of it was indeed succinct (which means brief or short) it was hardly accurate.

And I don't claim to be impartial here. But my membership and belief in the LDS church doesn't keep me from knowing the actual history of the church I belong to. I pretty much have to know it because there has always been so much falsehoods and half truths about us.

I also don't expect anyone to take my word for it and am certainly not trying to proselytize. I just expect people to have their facts straight if they're going to bring up my religion to make a point.

According to the narrative regarding the submarine, the people were guided by God through the wilderness, and were eventually directed to cross the sea in "barges". These vessels were sealed and watertight and able to be swamped by waves without sinking.Air was obtained from outside the vessels as needed.They also brought with them animals, and food for themselves and their animals.The recorded length of the trip was 344 days.

This is all correct. But nowhere do you see mention of what the barges were made of or exactly how they were constructed; which was your original point.

Quote:
Like anything else, one should do their own research into Mormonism and decide for themselves.

Agreed. But make sure your research is accurate. Your's apparently hasn't been.

Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #708786
04/06/13 01:46 PM
04/06/13 01:46 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
What else is a submarine/submersible barge with plugs on the top and bottom as an oxygen source going to be built of around 2,500 B.C. if not wood?

Nobody is going after Mormonism, you brought up my religious beliefs first so yours came into the picture right after. I respect your and other's beliefs, even if I don't necessarily believe in them.

Last edited by Dapper_Don; 04/06/13 01:53 PM.

Re: DOMA [Re: Dapper_Don] #708792
04/06/13 02:03 PM
04/06/13 02:03 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

What else is a submarine/submersible barge going to be built of around 2,500 B.C. if not wood?

No idea. But we probably shouldn't go by assumptions to make a point like that. But also notice I'm not saying they weren't made of wood.

Quote:
Nobody is going after Mormonism, you brought up my religious beliefs first so yours came into the picture right after. I respect your and other's beliefs, even if I don't necessarily believe in them.

Again, you'll notice that I brought up your adherence to the Catholic church. Not Catholicism itself. And, of course, I don't always follow all the tenants of LDS beliefs perfectly. But that doesn't mean I don't believe them.

And it's not that I don't respect your beliefs. I'm just surprised at times how a few posters on these forums, who are Catholic, seem to hold their church at arm's length. But maybe that's just because it's very different for most Mormons.

Anyway, I suppose a Catholic believing that the Catholic church (and religion in general) shouldn't interfere with the state is one thing. But one believing homosexual acts aren't sinful is something else. Though I'm not sure if the latter applies to you or not.

Re: DOMA [Re: IvyLeague] #708795
04/06/13 02:17 PM
04/06/13 02:17 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
What else is a submarine/submersible barge going to be built of around 2,500 B.C. if not wood?

No idea. But we probably shouldn't go by assumptions to make a point like that. But also notice I'm not saying they weren't made of wood.

So you dont disagree. Fair enough.

Out of curiosity, you ever debated in front of an audience before? Cause I noticed the way you tackle/answer questions is exactly some of the tactics employed by good debaters. This is not a knock but rather a compliment. I debated throughout my HS through Business School years.

But one believing homosexual acts aren't sinful is something else.Though I'm not sure if the latter applies to you or not.

I dont condone it, but I shouldnt have the right to tell one that does partake in homosexual acts that they dont have the right to do it.

Re: DOMA [Re: Dapper_Don] #708798
04/06/13 02:31 PM
04/06/13 02:31 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
But one believing homosexual acts aren't sinful is something else.Though I'm not sure if the latter applies to you or not.

I dont condone it, but I shouldnt have the right to tell one that does partake in homosexual acts that they dont have the right to do it.

That's my take on it. I guess that's the main reason why gay marriage being sanctioned by the state doesn't bother me: Because I know that it will never be allowed in my Church.

If it's truly a sin, then let God deal with them. I just don't think the Government has the right. To paraphrase David Puddy, "They're the ones going to hell, not me."

That being said, if the Government ever tried to force the Catholic Church (or any other House of Worship) to perform gay marriages, then I'd have a BIG problem with it. And in my opinion, there's the separation between Chruch and State in a nutshell.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: DOMA [Re: Dapper_Don] #708805
04/06/13 03:08 PM
04/06/13 03:08 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Out of curiosity, you ever debated in front of an audience before? Cause I noticed the way you tackle/answer questions is exactly some of the tactics employed by good debaters. This is not a knock but rather a compliment. I debated throughout my HS through Business School years.

No, I never took a debate class. I've always found it easier to express myself in writing rather than speaking anyway.

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
That being said, if the Government ever tried to force the Catholic Church (or any other House of Worship) to perform gay marriages, then I'd have a BIG problem with it. And in my opinion, there's the separation between Chruch and State in a nutshell.

I honestly don't think such future intrusion is as far-fetched as some believe. We already saw what happened with the Catholic charities involved in adoption. And the article of arguments against gay marriage I posted above brought up other incidents that have already happened. It may not happen tomorrow or next year but further on down the road.

Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #708818
04/06/13 03:50 PM
04/06/13 03:50 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I believe that Catholic Charities had the right to turn away homosexual couples, but I also think that the government had the right to take away their funds. I attended Catholic school as a child, and the State Education dept. offered the school some funding for textbooks. Monsignor refused, and people were very angry at him. He felt that by keeping government funds out of it, then the government can't tell you what to do. He said that if he accepted the money for books, then perhaps he could only buy the books that the government allowed. And he was 100% right. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #708823
04/06/13 04:00 PM
04/06/13 04:00 PM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline OP
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline OP
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet
This is a day of reckoning! I actually agree with Sicilian Babe! PB, what's Power Ball up to? I'm buying a ticket!

Actually, I never understood why you can't have your cake and eat it to? Anyone know?

Last edited by EastHarlemItal; 04/06/13 04:01 PM.

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: DOMA [Re: Sicilian Babe] #708827
04/06/13 04:04 PM
04/06/13 04:04 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I believe that Catholic Charities had the right to turn away homosexual couples, but I also think that the government had the right to take away their funds. I attended Catholic school as a child, and the State Education dept. offered the school some funding for textbooks. Monsignor refused, and people were very angry at him. He felt that by keeping government funds out of it, then the government can't tell you what to do. He said that if he accepted the money for books, then perhaps he could only buy the books that the government allowed. And he was 100% right. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Makes perfect sense. You can't compromise your beliefs if you don't take the money.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #708829
04/06/13 04:06 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
It might be helpful and engender more respect for opinions stated on this Board if some of you would read at least the syllabus (if not the entire majority opinion) of US Supreme Court opinions reagrding the subjects that one posts about. For one regarding church and state education relationships, see Lemon v. Kurtzman or Zelman v. Simmons.

Last edited by olivant; 04/06/13 04:07 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #708831
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Agreed

Originally Posted By: EastHarlemItal
what's Power Ball up to? I'm buying a ticket!

I got a haircut at my barbershop this morning and my barber thought I had won the powerball cause he hadnt seen me in months LMAO.

Re: DOMA [Re: olivant] #708832
04/06/13 04:07 PM
04/06/13 04:07 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
It might be helpful and engender more respect for opinions stated on this Board if some of you would read at least the syllabus (if not the entire majority opinion) of US Supreme Court opinions reagrding the subjects that one posts about. For one regarding church and state education relationships, see Lemon v. Kurtzman

The Court's decision in this case established the "Lemon test", which details the requirements for legislation concerning religion. It consists of three prongs:

The government's action must have a secular legislative purpose;
The government's action must not have the primary effect of either advancing or inhibiting religion;
The government's action must not result in an "excessive government entanglement" with religion.

If any of these 3 prongs are violated, the government's action is deemed unconstitutional under the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Last edited by Dapper_Don; 04/06/13 04:11 PM.

Re: DOMA [Re: olivant] #708843
04/06/13 05:07 PM
04/06/13 05:07 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

It might be helpful and engender more respect for opinions stated on this Board if some of you would read at least the syllabus (if not the entire majority opinion) of US Supreme Court opinions reagrding the subjects that one posts about. For one regarding church and state education relationships, see Lemon v. Kurtzman or Zelman v. Simmons.

Assuming you're referring to me, this is part of the problem. Too many judges, including some on the Supreme Court, have overstepped their bounds and "interpreted" the Constitution miles away from the original meaning. To the point where "case precedent," and not the Constitution, is the real law of the land. Heck, look no further than the fourth amendment being used as a basis for legalizing abortion. rolleyes

Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #708873
04/06/13 08:23 PM
04/06/13 08:23 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Despicable MSNBC host Krytal Ball (there's a name for you) exploiting her own daughter on this issue. Poor girl has no chance being brainwashed by this lunatic.

Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #708876
04/06/13 08:34 PM
04/06/13 08:34 PM
H
ht2 Offline
Capo
ht2  Offline
H
Capo
SC Justice Joseph Story (appointed by James Madison) on first amendment:

Quote:
"The real object of the amendment was, not to countenance, much less to advance Mahometanism, or Judaism, or infidelity, by prostrating Christianity; but to exclude all rivalry among Christian sects, and to prevent any national ecclesiastical establishment, which should give to an hierarchy the exclusive patronage of the national government. It thus cut off the means of religious persecution, (the vice and pest of former ages,) and of the subversion of the rights of conscience in matters of religion, which had been trampled upon almost from the days of the Apostles to the present age."

Things have changed quite a bit since the days of Justice Story. whistle

Last edited by ht2; 04/06/13 08:36 PM.
Re: DOMA [Re: afsaneh77] #708884
04/06/13 09:38 PM
04/06/13 09:38 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
Originally Posted By: fathersson
Don't be so passive aggressive FS! You don't have to throw in an "Opinon Card" in there. lol I believe there's no such card, that's actually a 1st amendment right. lol

Yada Yada Yada- whistle

Thank God WE have rights! clap

Thank Al Gore! for the internet, as it has made it possible that WE have the same rights as you do when it comes to voicing our opinion. tongue

lol yes, but WE don't have to hide our rights in the Internet Closet! wink lol lol blush

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: DOMA [Re: fathersson] #708907
04/07/13 12:23 AM
04/07/13 12:23 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Don't be so passive aggressive FS! You don't have to throw in an "Opinon Card" in there. lol I believe there's no such card, that's actually a 1st amendment right. lol

Yada Yada Yada- whistle

Thank God WE have rights! clap

Thank Al Gore! for the internet, as it has made it possible that WE have the same rights as you do when it comes to voicing our opinion. tongue

lol yes, but WE don't have to hide our rights in the Internet Closet! wink lol lol blush

Doesn't make a difference here. If this is a closet, you are here as well. lol

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #708913
04/07/13 12:47 AM
04/07/13 12:47 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
I don't think religious establishments would stay away from gay marriage for long. New generation would not have the same feelings about gay marriage as the old generation does. And religious establishments are always looking for new sources of donation, so if hating gays wouldn't sell anymore, why not include them? I don't think this is a "never" issue for church.

Re: DOMA [Re: afsaneh77] #708920
04/07/13 02:13 AM
04/07/13 02:13 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

I don't think religious establishments would stay away from gay marriage for long. New generation would not have the same feelings about gay marriage as the old generation does. And religious establishments are always looking for new sources of donation, so if hating gays wouldn't sell anymore, why not include them? I don't think this is a "never" issue for church.

Maybe for some of the more "fad" churches but you won't see that in the Catholic, Mormon, more traditional Protestant, or Muslim religions.

Re: DOMA [Re: IvyLeague] #708924
04/07/13 02:21 AM
04/07/13 02:21 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai

Maybe for some of the more "fad" churches but you won't see that in the Catholic, Mormon, more traditional Protestant, or Muslim religions.

I'm just saying the offering plate would determine its fate. Even the most traditional establishments would follow the money. If it doesn't sell any longer, they would drop it quietly and move on. It was a no no to have sex before marriage or have a divorce. Now nobody cares. People who do these sort of things attend their weekly thing, pay their donation, have a sense of community and get on with their lives.

Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #708925
04/07/13 02:26 AM
04/07/13 02:26 AM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
How did we get on subject of polygamy and religion? I'm not only one who is against gay marriage on non-religous grounds.

Re: DOMA [Re: IvyLeague] #708926
04/07/13 02:28 AM
04/07/13 02:28 AM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
Despicable MSNBC host Krytal Ball (there's a name for you) exploiting her own daughter on this issue. Poor girl has no chance being brainwashed by this lunatic.

She is stooping very low in that video, but is clueless or does not care. She is so happy to be indoctrinating her daughter she comes off as insane.

Re: DOMA [Re: jace] #708933
04/07/13 03:12 AM
04/07/13 03:12 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: jace
How did we get on subject of polygamy and religion? I'm not only one who is against gay marriage on non-religous grounds.

I posted an article earlier in this thread containing several non-religious arguments against gay marriage.

Re: DOMA [Re: afsaneh77] #708934
04/07/13 03:15 AM
04/07/13 03:15 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

I'm just saying the offering plate would determine its fate. Even the most traditional establishments would follow the money. If it doesn't sell any longer, they would drop it quietly and move on. It was a no no to have sex before marriage or have a divorce. Now nobody cares. People who do these sort of things attend their weekly thing, pay their donation, have a sense of community and get on with their lives.

You're going on the erroneous assumption these churches only care about money. And who said nobody cares about sex before marriage? Last time I checked, that's still very much against the teachings of the church I belong to and can even get you ex-communicated. Sexual sins are considered next to murder in seriousness.

Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull