GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 874 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 69,108
DE NIRO 44,955
J Geoff 31,302
Hollander 26,558
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,613
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,846
Posts1,070,556
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
Re: DOMA [Re: carmela] #709502
04/09/13 02:37 PM
04/09/13 02:37 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: carmela
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Not sure how this has been turned back onto me, i was just sticking up for myself as one person was having a dig at the grammer of a certain person over 25K posts

You clearly missed my point. I don't care about your social inadequacies, academic inadequacies, or what have you. Since it was brought up in here, I finally decided to ask something that's been on my mind for a long time now; and that's why does Oli choose to point out grammatical errors to certain members and not others. Is it for the purpose of belittling/provoking/baiting particular people?

Now that is the ticket! clap

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: DOMA [Re: fathersson] #709505
04/09/13 02:48 PM
04/09/13 02:48 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: DOMA [Re: DE NIRO] #709521
04/09/13 03:33 PM
04/09/13 03:33 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Yes, now your cooking with gas!

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #709550
04/09/13 06:42 PM
04/09/13 06:42 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Interesting read.

Conservative Case for Gay Marriage

Quote:
As conservatives debate the subject of gay marriage, maybe they should pause to consider their view about the other kind of gay marriage.

You know the one: He works mind-boggling hours and only comes home once his wife is sure to be asleep. He beams at the sight of an old college buddy. Two years into the marriage, she starts murmuring to her closest friend that he just isn't very interested in her, that way. Five years later he starts acting out in odd ways when he drinks. And he drinks a lot....
As for that allegedly looming threat of polygamy, you may as well argue that hunting should be forbidden because it could lead to gun violence. The slippery slope argument usually winds up being on the side of mindless repression...

On the matter of gay marriage, the reality we find is millions of Americans who want to participate in all the institutions of American life, from politics to the military to marriage. What is there not to like? Conservatives spent the 90s worrying about the Balkanization of U.S. politics by every group that wanted to emphasize its differences. Here you have exactly the opposite trend...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: DOMA [Re: IvyLeague] #709553
04/09/13 06:48 PM
04/09/13 06:48 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

Heck, even the secular liberal like Obama and Biden know they can't throw religion out the window. Why do you think they go to church and act like they really believe?

How can you possibly make an assertion that the President and Vice-President are pretending to believe in God? On what basis do you make that statement?

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #709573
04/09/13 08:55 PM
04/09/13 08:55 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Apparently being a member of the uptight kiss-my-ass club enables you to read minds, that's why, Lilo! And, Carmela, really??? I've seen you jump down plenty of throats when it comes to Sicily and the Sicilian language, so pot, meet kettle.

Can we please stop flinging crap at one another and make some attempt to stay on topic?

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: DOMA [Re: Sicilian Babe] #709582
04/09/13 09:06 PM
04/09/13 09:06 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Apparently being a member of the uptight kiss-my-ass club enables you to read minds, that's why, Lilo!

i think this is considering flaming another member!

And, Carmela, really??? I've seen you jump down plenty of throats when it comes to Sicily and the Sicilian language, so pot, meet kettle.

which particular post are you referring to here, or is this just a chance to take a pot shot at somebody who disagrees with a poster who you might agree with?

It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck yer mudda!
Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #709583
04/09/13 09:10 PM
04/09/13 09:10 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Whatever.

Re: DOMA [Re: Sicilian Babe] #709588
04/09/13 09:15 PM
04/09/13 09:15 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Whatever.

Hey Hey Hey C'mon Now were all friends here...must be the hot weather today everyone is jacked up

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #709589
04/09/13 09:16 PM
04/09/13 09:16 PM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
MAJOR respect to Carmela clap
RESPECT

Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #709592
04/09/13 09:18 PM
04/09/13 09:18 PM
Chicagoland
SgWaue86 Offline
Capo
SgWaue86  Offline
Capo
Chicagoland
I think marriage is meant to be between a man and women. That's the way I was raised and believe it to be correct. I am not saying I hate gays or think they deserve rights but IMHO marriage is meant to be between a man and women. I hope I haven't offended anybody.

Re: DOMA [Re: Sicilian Babe] #709598
04/09/13 09:36 PM
04/09/13 09:36 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
And, Carmela, really??? I've seen you jump down plenty of throats when it comes to Sicily and the Sicilian language, so pot, meet kettle.

Only when the topic at hand had/has to do with how things in Italian or Sicilian are spelled and said, have I spoken up. I never just pop in with a one word post for the sheer point of correcting someone. Ever. And when I have done so, I never pick and choose members. I respond to the post and the post only, without even looking at who the member is most times. At least I'm consistent.

Last edited by carmela; 04/09/13 09:39 PM.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: DOMA [Re: SgWaue86] #709606
04/09/13 09:59 PM
04/09/13 09:59 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
I love the stupidity rampant in this thread, people demanding that their religious beliefs should become law (or stay law in DOMA's case) and be applied to everybody else as well. And nobody is aware of how shallow that line of thinking is.

Hey Christian Scientists don't believe in blood transfusions. How about we ban blood transfusions then?

Some Muslims in the Middle East (backed by Theocratic fascist governments and terrorists) accept banning women from driving. Maybe we should ban them from driving too.

Some liberal group thinks Tom Sawyer is a racist book. Let's ban it from libraries and bookstores then!

What the hell is wrong with you people? THINK!

If you want to believe in whatever bullshit you want to believe despite what common sense, common decency, and American values of freedom and equality and Christian themes of love and community, then unfortunately that's your right to be stupid. But dear God, please don't make the rest of us suffer simply because you're weak little tummy is naeseous and easily butthurt.

This is 2013. Not 1983. Or 1973. Or 1993. Or even 2003. Get over it and quit the belly aching. Your descendents will appreciate it. If still butthurt, call a Wahmbulance.

Originally Posted By: SgWaue86
I think marriage is meant to be between a man and women. That's the way I was raised and believe it to be correct. I am not saying I hate gays or think they deserve rights but IMHO marriage is meant to be between a man and women. I hope I haven't offended anybody.

Funny I came across suspiciously similar opinions I found in Letters to the Editor in several East Tennessee newspapers in the 1950s and 60s regarding that whole civil rights issue. And that's white people pissy that blacks wanted to like vote and ride a bus and shit. HOW BLASPHEMOUS!

(The issue of slavery caused the schism within the Baptist Church in America, thus the Southern Baptists left so they could conveniently argue that God in his Bible supported slavery. Hey, don't hate them. They were raised to believe in it.)

Besides, your "belief" as a meter for logicity is quaint when you explore the global history of marriage. Nevermind the whole rationality behind your argument can be easily construed for hate by other parties. ("can"? I'm sure, have already.) You're better than this.

You're not an ape. You're a human being, the one biologically/psychologically advanced creature alive on Earth. An sentient animal with the compacity to overcome its cultural programming for the greater good of yourself and everybody else. Over 1000s of years, we've created values that have been shaped and evolved.

And back to slavery. It was once an accepted way of life and economical livelyhood. Notice Mr. Christ never bothered to hate on slavery that much. Yet in the 18th and 19th centuries in the West, popular movement was made to abolish it on humanistic, Christian appeals that it was...you know, fucking slavery. America ended it by a bloody, pointless war.

Unlike the time of Christ and when the Bible was written, nobody in our time is raised to believe that slavery is acceptable. (With exception of CPAC '13, apparently.) In this regard, we're actually more civilized than that time period in history. Think about it.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 04/09/13 10:00 PM.
Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #709609
04/09/13 10:29 PM
04/09/13 10:29 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
clap Excellent points Ronnie. Good post.

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone
Re: DOMA [Re: Lilo] #709610
04/09/13 10:31 PM
04/09/13 10:31 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Lilo
How can you possibly make an assertion that the President and Vice-President are pretending to believe in God? On what basis do you make that statement?

By their actions. You'd have to be willfully blind, in denial, or not understand some of the basic tenants of Christianity not to see it.

When people tell me Obama is a Muslim, I tell them he's no more a Muslim than he is a Christian. He a calculating politician who only pretends to be a Christian in this country because it's politically advantageous. He's for abortion. He's for gay marriage. He just allowed women to be in combat. All the same applies to Biden. He pays lip service to being a believing Catholic but his actions say differently. And, "By their fruits, ye shall know them."

You may agree with them politically, but don't even try to pass these guys off as believing Christians. Unfortunately, I have to say the same about Romney, which is a big reason why I didn't vote for him. The difference is, I expect that from secular leftists like Obama and Biden.

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
I love the stupidity rampant in this thread, people demanding that their religious beliefs should become law (or stay law in DOMA's case) and be applied to everybody else as well. And nobody is aware of how shallow that line of thinking is.

I love how you guys keep pretending that non-religious arguments haven't already been made here.

What the hell is wrong with you people? THINK!

Textbook secular liberal accusation of those who disagree with them not "thinking" or "using reason?" Check.

Quote:
If you want to believe in whatever bullshit you want to believe despite what common sense, common decency, and American values of freedom and equality and Christian themes of love and community, then unfortunately that's your right to be stupid. But dear God, please don't make the rest of us suffer simply because you're weak little tummy is naeseous and easily butthurt.

I really wish you libs here would quit trying to use parts Christianity or the Bible in your arguments. It's long been apparent to me that none of you understand it, much less believe in it. Yes, Christianity is about love and community. But it's also about obeying the commandments. The spiritually immature pit love against obedience. Don't cherrypick a part of Christianity as a reason to legalize gay marriage.

This is 2013. Not 1983. Or 1973. Or 1993. Or even 2003. Get over it and quit the belly aching. Your descendents will appreciate it. If still butthurt, call a Wahmbulance.

If something is wrong, it really doesn't matter what year it is. And the only one whining here is you.

Funny I came across suspiciously similar opinions I found in Letters to the Editor in several East Tennessee newspapers in the 1950s and 60s regarding that whole civil rights issue. And that's white people pissy that blacks wanted to like vote and ride a bus and shit. HOW BLASPHEMOUS!

(The issue of slavery caused the schism within the Baptist Church in America, thus the Southern Baptists left so they could conveniently argue that God in his Bible supported slavery. Hey, don't hate them. They were raised to believe in it.)

Besides, your "belief" as a meter for logicity is quaint when you explore the global history of marriage. Nevermind the whole rationality behind your argument can be easily construed for hate by other parties. ("can"? I'm sure, have already.) You're better than this.

Textbook liberal accusation of those against gay marriage being hatemongers like the old racists? Check.

You're not an ape. You're a human being, the one biologically/psychologically advanced creature alive on Earth. An sentient animal with the compacity to overcome its cultural programming for the greater good of yourself and everybody else. Over 1000s of years, we've created values that have been shaped and evolved.

I know I'm not an ape. You and your fellow lefties are the ones who believe we came from apes.

And I love how you think we've been "programmed" but you're the independent, free-thinker. Ah, the arrogance of the secular liberal.

And back to slavery. It was once an accepted way of life and economical livelyhood. Notice Mr. Christ never bothered to hate on slavery that much. Yet in the 18th and 19th centuries in the West, popular movement was made to abolish it on humanistic, Christian appeals that it was...you know, fucking slavery. America ended it by a bloody, pointless war.

Unlike the time of Christ and when the Bible was written, nobody in our time is raised to believe that slavery is acceptable. (With exception of CPAC '13, apparently.) In this regard, we're actually more civilized than that time period in history. Think about it.

You act like you would even care if Christ did say something about slavery.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #709611
04/09/13 10:39 PM
04/09/13 10:39 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Ivy you've really gone to another level of arrogance here. No disrespect, but you're forgetting a majority of what people say on this subject is opinion. It's an extremely touchy subject, but you have to respect that many people don't give a damn about religion in any form or the bible or the commandments of God. Doesn't make them "evil" or a "secular liberal" it's just what they believe to be true. And just because it's not what YOU believe doesn't make them "blind".

Re: DOMA [Re: IvyLeague] #709619
04/09/13 11:10 PM
04/09/13 11:10 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I am the Lord thy God, ... Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images.

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long.

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house.

I don't see anything in there about gay marriage, homosexuals or anything gay-related. I see basic tenets of life - worship the one true God and no others, honor Him on the Sabbath, don't steal, don't kill, don't covet, don't lie.

Re: DOMA [Re: Sicilian Babe] #709621
04/09/13 11:15 PM
04/09/13 11:15 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

I am the Lord thy God, ... Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images.

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long.

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house.

I don't see anything in there about gay marriage, homosexuals or anything gay-related. I see basic tenets of life - worship the one true God and no others, honor Him on the Sabbath, don't steal, don't kill, don't covet, don't lie.

You're the classic example of what I'm talking about. Did you miss the scriptures in both the Old and New Testaments that specifically denounce homosexual acts?

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: DOMA [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #709623
04/09/13 11:21 PM
04/09/13 11:21 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
Ivy you've really gone to another level of arrogance here. No disrespect, but you're forgetting a majority of what people say on this subject is opinion. It's an extremely touchy subject, but you have to respect that many people don't give a damn about religion in any form or the bible or the commandments of God. Doesn't make them "evil" or a "secular liberal" it's just what they believe to be true. And just because it's not what YOU believe doesn't make them "blind".

I'm fully aware many here don't give a damn about religion. I'm not attempting to change that. I'm just saying you have no business trying to marginalize religion in government and law making by misinterpreting what "separation of church and state" means.

And anyone who doesn't see that Obama and Biden's actions directly conflict with some of the basic tenants of Christianity is blind. There's no getting around that. Unfortunately, in Obama's case, he mirrors much of the black community in general. Their churches are rather conservative, teaching directly from the Bible, but they sell themselves to the Democratic party (which is all but antagonistic to religion) for a mess of pottage.

Re: DOMA [Re: IvyLeague] #709625
04/09/13 11:36 PM
04/09/13 11:36 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA

I'm fully aware many here don't give a damn about religion. I'm not attempting to change that. I'm just saying you have no business trying to marginalize religion in government and law making by misinterpreting what "separation of church and state" means.

And anyone who doesn't see that Obama and Biden's actions directly conflict with some of the basic tenants of Christianity is blind. There's no getting around that. Unfortunately, in Obama's case, he mirrors much of the black community in general. Their churches are rather conservative, teaching directly from the Bible, but they sell themselves to the Democratic party (which is all but antagonistic to religion) for a mess of pottage.

I would agree that Obama and Biden don't mirror traditional Christianity, and I don't think for a second they take it seriously. What I see is they both use it for political purposes. BUT that doesn't mean because they support abortion and gay marriage makes them any less Christian even if they were true followers of the religion. Plenty of Christians believe that gay marriage is fine (although I would say a fair number I know are against abortion)

I don't argue that parts of the consitution and Declaration of Independence have "Judeo-Christian ethics" within their text. Many of the founding fathers were religious, but just as many if not more were athiest or deist. I say again our basic structure of law came from the Enlightenment and the basic blueprint was the British parliment and system of law, which at the time was the closest thing to a democracy on Earth. I also hold firm that religion should not interfere with politics or law making. It's dangerous and should be kept out of Congress and the White House. I personally don't agree with the "under God" line in our pledge of alleigance. God IMO has nothing to do with our nation or what goes on inside of it.

Last edited by 123JoeSchmo; 04/09/13 11:37 PM.

Re: DOMA [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #709628
04/10/13 12:50 AM
04/10/13 12:50 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

I would agree that Obama and Biden don't mirror traditional Christianity, and I don't think for a second they take it seriously. What I see is they both use it for political purposes. BUT that doesn't mean because they support abortion and gay marriage makes them any less Christian even if they were true followers of the religion. Plenty of Christians believe that gay marriage is fine (although I would say a fair number I know are against abortion)

At least you recognize Obama and Biden for what they are.

The plenty of Christians you speak of, who are fine with gay marriage are, at best, cafeteria Christians. They hold onto the religion, to a certain degree, for one reason or another. But they follow their own political and social ideology more religiously. Sorry, but homosexuality isn't one of those "grey" areas that's open to individual interpretation. Both the Old and New Testaments are very clear on the subject. Not just "dismissive" as Lilo was saying. So, for so-called Christians to go against that is a major thing. An apostate shift.

I don't argue that parts of the consitution and Declaration of Independence have "Judeo-Christian ethics" within their text. Many of the founding fathers were religious, but just as many if not more were athiest or deist. I say again our basic structure of law came from the Enlightenment and the basic blueprint was the British parliment and system of law, which at the time was the closest thing to a democracy on Earth. I also hold firm that religion should not interfere with politics or law making. It's dangerous and should be kept out of Congress and the White House. I personally don't agree with the "under God" line in our pledge of alleigance. God IMO has nothing to do with our nation or what goes on inside of it.

The last line in your post above is the most telling. In fact, it's scary that you and others really feel this way. You really do think God "has nothing to do" with this nation and what goes on inside it. It's that kind of secularism, which seeks to marginalize the idea of God if it can't remove it altogether, that will be the downfall of us.

Re: DOMA [Re: IvyLeague] #709639
04/10/13 06:35 AM
04/10/13 06:35 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: IvyLeague

You're the classic example of what I'm talking about. Did you miss the scriptures in both the Old and New Testaments that specifically denounce homosexual acts?

According to the Old Testament they should be killed. Is that what you want? If not - why?

Re: DOMA [Re: IvyLeague] #709640
04/10/13 06:40 AM
04/10/13 06:40 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Lilo

By their actions. You'd have to be willfully blind, in denial, or not understand some of the basic tenants of Christianity not to see it.

When people tell me Obama is a Muslim, I tell them he's no more a Muslim than he is a Christian. He a calculating politician who only pretends to be a Christian in this country because it's politically advantageous. He's for abortion. He's for gay marriage. He just allowed women to be in combat. All the same applies to Biden. He pays lip service to being a believing Catholic but his actions say differently. And, "By their fruits, ye shall know them."

You may agree with them politically, but don't even try to pass these guys off as believing Christians. Unfortunately, I have to say the same about Romney, which is a big reason why I didn't vote for him. The difference is, I expect that from secular leftists like Obama and Biden.

That's what I thought. Again, there is a difference between an opinion and a statement of fact. It is your opinion that the President and Vice-President are wrong politically on many issues. I would never question your right to believe that. I believe they are wrong on many issues.

But when you write that they are pretending to believe in God, that's a statement of fact. You ought to be able to provide some evidence besides the fact that you disagree with them. As far as I know you're not Mrs. Obama or Mrs. Biden or anyone else privy to Pres/VP's innermost thoughts. So you're making an assertion, a somewhat offensive one, with absolutely nothing to back it up. This is one step above people saying Obama is the Antichrist. It's also in opposition to virtually everything in the New Testament where man is repeatedly told that it's God's role to judge, not his.

Ivy, to which basic tenets of Christianity do you refer? Because after all there are dozens of different kinds of Christians, who fiercely disagree on matters large and small. As you know some Christians feel that Mormons aren't Christians. If someone made that as a statement of fact, would you accept it. No.

Ted Olson is for gay marriage. Is he pretending to be Christian?

There are Christians who are feminist and Christians who are traditionalist. There are Christians who fight to save the environment and Christians who joyfully slaughter elephants and strip-mine mountains. There are Christians who are pacifist and Christians who enjoy starting wars. There are pro-life Christians and pro-choice Christians. There are Christians who believe the Pope is the highest human authority on Earth and Christians who think he's just a man like anyone else. There are Christians who believe salvation is by grace alone and Christians who believe deeds and faith play a part. There are Christians who believe that imperialism and colonialism were good things and Christians who do not. There are Christians who focus on helping the poor and feeding the hungry and Christians who think Jesus was an Randian free market devotee. All of these groups overlap of course. Which of those groups are the "true" Christians?

In short once you get past a few basic creeds, there are a million and one ways to be a Christian. What you believe doesn't necessarily predict your politics. This is why it's important to have separation of religion and politics. Religion, or at least some religions, claim to have the inerrant Truth. Politics doesn't.

Winter is Coming

Re: DOMA [Re: IvyLeague] #709641
04/10/13 07:04 AM
04/10/13 07:04 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai

Here's the first amendment:
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Therefore what you say that government has no business trying to marginalize religion in government is simply and clearly wrong. When such laws go contrary to the rights of people who do not believe in that specific religion, I believe according to the 1st amendment government should and must part with laws that marginalize people's rights.

As for what those in government have to do when things go against their beliefs, this is the most tricky part of the religion. You can't have two masters and serve them both faithfully. If someone is elected to the office in the US, I think they should put the constitution first, as they are not elected by just a certain religious members of the country. They have to represent all people, be they believers or nonbelievers. They can keep their beliefs to matters only concerning themselves.

That's the most optimistic I could be about religion. My personal beef with it, is that although the 1st amendment is kindly trying to respect the existence of different religions, the nature of religions are not accepting of other religions or even nonbelievers. Religions constantly order their followers to meddle in other people's lives. Just like you are trying to make us understand that marriage has to be the way you define it. You don't take "Okay, you can have your marriage, Adam and Steve can have their marriage as well." for an answer, because you are so much better than some gay folks, right? Oh, the vanity! rolleyes

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: DOMA [Re: carmela] #709648
04/10/13 07:54 AM
04/10/13 07:54 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: carmela
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Carmela, Oli is a busy person, and thus has to be selective with grammatical corrections. Maybe you should take a more active role.

No, I'm good. People's grammatical errors don't bother me. Mod whores bother me.

clap

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: DOMA [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #709662
04/10/13 09:50 AM
04/10/13 09:50 AM
In exile watching star wars an...
S
Skinny Offline
X
Skinny  Offline
X
S
Underboss
In exile watching star wars an...
Some Muslims in the Middle East (backed by Theocratic fascist governments and terrorists) accept banning women from driving. Maybe we should ban them from driving too.

Ronnie ive been saying this for years! Think how safe the roads would be without them!

Re: DOMA [Re: EastHarlemItal] #709670
04/10/13 10:25 AM
04/10/13 10:25 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
IvyLeague, do you confuse secularism and atheism?
A Christian can be a perfect secularist.

Re: DOMA [Re: Skinny] #709675
04/10/13 10:55 AM
04/10/13 10:55 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Skinny

Ronnie ive been saying this for years! Think how safe the roads would be without them!

lol lol

About fucking time someone made a post worth reading. Nice job, kid wink.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: DOMA [Re: Danito] #709678
04/10/13 11:08 AM
04/10/13 11:08 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Danito
A Christian can be a perfect secularist.

And a secularist can be a perfect ass.

This thread has gone on for at least ten pages too long. And I don't even have a horse in this friggin race. Bottom line: If your religious, you shouldn't proselytize. It's off putting and senseless. It places you just above the Moonies and Scientologists on the religious food chain.

If you're non-religious, you should practice the so-called tolerance that liberals are always preaching. Because I have to tell you, liiberals are only tolerant until people don't agree with them. Then they're capable of just as much hate as the far righties, and don't say they're not. ONE EXTREME IS NO BETTER THAN THE OTHER!!!!

And Olivant? You and I have always pretty much gotten along, I think, because of our shared Italian American heritage. But stop fucking correcting people. When you use those big snobby words, you sound like Little Carmine on "The Sopranos." And God knows that he was a retard.

And jumping down Carmela's throat for pointing out the obvious, and being CONSISTENT about it, is just bush league. Her posts are more articulate than 90 percent of the posters here all week long and twice on Sundays.

I have nothing else to offer to the "DOMA" debate. Ever. The only reason I even wrote this much is because I'm tired of reading this bullshit.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: DOMA [Re: Danito] #709683
04/10/13 11:28 AM
04/10/13 11:28 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: Danito

According to the Old Testament they should be killed. Is that what you want? If not - why?

Just trying to lighten the mood now i'll go back to sitting on this fence tongue

Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull