GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ciment, 1 invisible), 694 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,983
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,785
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,553
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,529
Posts1,062,434
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Detroit Bankrupt [Re: pizzaboy] #728889
07/23/13 01:35 PM
07/23/13 01:35 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
It's a mystery DT. You know the research triangle is a great boon to North Carolina. It's one of the reasons why it's still a place of growth even right now. I also think corrupt politics had a great deal to do with Detroits fall.

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone
Re: Detroit Bankrupt [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #728890
07/23/13 01:42 PM
07/23/13 01:42 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Yes the triangle in NC is also appropriately positioned. It is in a beautiful part of the country and has Duke and UNC to support the intellectual growth.

No question about corruption in Detroit.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Detroit Bankrupt [Re: pizzaboy] #728894
07/23/13 02:04 PM
07/23/13 02:04 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
NC state ain't a bad place either. Wake Forest is also a fantastic school. Detroit needs a complete facelift in order for it to come back. That includes Rick Snyders decision to declare bankruptcy. It's the right thing to do

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone
Re: Detroit Bankrupt [Re: dontomasso] #728920
07/23/13 04:14 PM
07/23/13 04:14 PM
So-Cal
vinnietoothpicks26 Offline
BANNED
vinnietoothpicks26  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
So-Cal
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Originally Posted By: vinnietoothpicks26
And do those unfunded liabilty issues exist in states historically controlled by the republican party?

Which states have the strongest economies by in large? STates that are more business friendly.

There are multiple reasons Detroit went under, and althought there are paople with various agendass who fit them to the situation there is no single cause. Paul Krugman has some good words on this.

As for the assertion that businesses like "business friendly" states, that is totally true, but then again what is "business freindly to one type of business is not so friendy to others. For example after all the textile industry moved from the South to Asia, there were a bunch of poor states with lots of low to mediaum skill labor who would jump at the chance to make cars, so you see an exodus from Michigan and you see all the foreign car companies moving in to South Carolina, Mississippi, etc, where there is no union protection, low wages, low taxes, etc. This is "business friendlt" for the auto manufacuring industry. Banking on the other hand, and all financial trading does better in New York, and the whole DC-Boston corridor. Why? Because the best schools and culture are there, and their employees demand that standard of living. It is more costly, but overall it is more "business friendly" to that kind of business. Ditto for the Northwest and Northern California where much of the hi tech stuff is. Again, a climate amenable to people in that industry, good schools, laid back lifestyle....business friendly for that kind of business. I could go on but the point is made. When words like "business friendly" start getting tossed around it leads some ignorant people to think it means low taxes and no regulation. This is not the case in all business, and so it should not become a clarion call for the "no gevernment" agenda favored by the tea baggers.

Northern California is the only thing keeping California above water. Sylicon valley is all entrepreneurial start ups, not big ass companies with big pensions. Or public sector unions that bankrupted the state.

The only reason entrepreneurs go there is because they are 100% liberal. They don't go there because its business friendly. If you took away the weather, you have Detroit. Shit, the rest of California is going to shit with all the public sector entitlements, pensions and a huge welfare state in general. And that's with the weather.

Are you seriously arguing that there is ANY type of business that prefers high taxes?

Frank Costello: Fucking rats. It's wearing me thin. Mr. French: Francis, it's a nation of fucking rats.
Re: Detroit Bankrupt [Re: pizzaboy] #729027
07/23/13 07:39 PM
07/23/13 07:39 PM
Midwest
LittleNicky Offline
Underboss
LittleNicky  Offline
Underboss
Midwest
What are you talking about Don? CA ranks as among the worst public schools systems in the country in almost every metric except money spent. Granted there are good universities there, especially the private universities like Stanford and SC.

There is doubtful causation between school expenditures (ie justification for high taxes) and the performance of schools. Most goes to pensions. If there were a causation, 30 years of massive federal government spending would have increased performance instead of test scores remaining flat or failing over the last few decades.

Last edited by LittleNicky; 07/23/13 07:40 PM.

Should probably ask Mr. Kierney. I guess if you're Italian, you should be in prison.
I've read the RICO Act, and I can tell you it's more appropriate...
for some of those guys over in Washington than it is for me or any of my fellas here
Re: Detroit Bankrupt [Re: LittleNicky] #730010
07/26/13 07:02 PM
07/26/13 07:02 PM
Caramela77 Offline
Made Member
Caramela77  Offline
Made Member
What about Woodward Corridor nice place...

Re: Detroit Bankrupt [Re: pizzaboy] #734176
08/13/13 12:02 PM
08/13/13 12:02 PM
L
lic Offline
Made Member
lic  Offline
L
Made Member
herd detriot was trying to sell of there zoo and its animals too try and recoop, idoubt all the exotic animals yu seel will make up billions of dollhiars...

Re: Detroit Bankrupt [Re: lic] #734197
08/13/13 01:00 PM
08/13/13 01:00 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
My wife bought me the book THE LAST DAYS OF DETROIT for my birthday but I have yet to start reading it!!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Detroit Bankrupt [Re: pizzaboy] #737591
08/30/13 06:36 AM
08/30/13 06:36 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
There are a myriad of reasons for Detroit's problems. Bad politicians, segregration, poor education, poverty, lack of jobs, overreliance on one industry, globalization, tax abatements, poor property tax collection, low tax base,suburban sprawl, crime, etc. It's not something that happened overnight. From a purely mathematical standpoint this was predictable a decade or so ago.

However the Michigan constitution does protect public pensions. The Fire and Police pensions are not in fact underfunded. Orr has made some very questionable actuarial assumptions to make that argument. And he will be fought on that. The average retiree pension is roughly $19,000/yr. Public employees do not receive Social Security.

SE Michigan is indeed one of if not the most racially segregated areas in the country but it's been that way since before I was born or before Detroit had its first black mayor. I know that some have glee over Detroit's issues but it's too simplistic to say that this is solely because of political leadership. The previous take over of the school system by the state turned a surplus into a deficit so of course people are leery of outside management. There is justifiable concern that the bankruptcy will be used to line pockets, strip assets and leave the citizens even worse off than they were before.

If there is a choice between cutting benefits for retirees and reducing profits for bondholders I know where I would be.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull