Originally Posted By: dontomasso
That is the major flaw in Roe v. Wade. They just made up the trimester thing on the fly. The truth is that there have been great advances since Roe was decided, and the day will come when a fertilized egg can be removed safely from a woman's womb, placed into an artificial womb and then go to full term. Does this mean Roe will be its own demise? Quite possibly.

My own view is that abortion rights should be viewed most liberally from the time of conception, and more and more narrowly from that time through birth.

I was looking at Roe v. Wade in Wikipedia and it's said there that:

"The Court later rejected Roe's trimester framework, while affirming Roe's central holding that a person has a right to abortion until viability."

So I guess it doesn't really have much to do with trimesters. Say a pregnant woman is in need of chemotherapy, I suppose it's up to the doctor to decide if the fetus is viable and they can do a c-section, or they have to abort the pregnancy altogether, should she decide to do so.

As for artificial wombs, who would pay for them? Would the government pick up the tab? It's interesting to see what happens then.

And I completely agree with your last paragraph.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones