Originally Posted By: goombah
Pirates fans should hold their heads high. They had an incredible season. As well as they played, the Pirates had to battle with St. Louis & Cincinnati all the way through in an extremely competitive division. The team is constructed to remain a contender, so there should not be another 21 year playoff drought for Pirate fans.

I like the moxy of the A's going with rookie pitcher Sonny Gray in Game 5 tonight. It was a gutsy move over 18 game winner Bartolo Colon, but I think it's the right call. If Gray should falter, Colon may be available from the bullpen.

Well said as always, goombah. The Pirates and Cardinals are recognized as having the most fertile farm teams in baseball, so their battles for promionence in the league may very well extend for some years.

I too am struck by the A's going with Gray. It's funny that the Pirates and A's both decided to skip reputable veterans in a deciding game for rookies. The Gray decision kind of surprised me as he doesn't have that many career starts, and Colon is a guy, who doesn't get rattled. But Gray's curveball has been outstanding. I'm sure the managerhas a feel for the call. It should be a great game.

I thought Cole was good last night for the Pirates. Right before Freese's homer I told my son that he's fouled quite a few pitches, and will probably get a hit. I wasn't counting on the homer, and I felt if they couldn't hit Wainright early, he'd just be tougher as by the third inning he's the kind of competitor, who knows what's working well and what's not.