Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
a black Brazilian who plays for the mighty Barcelona was pelted with bananas whilst taking a corner!!!!

The exact same thing happened to Patrick Ewing at Madison Square Garden in 1985. I know it was almost thirty years ago, but still, so much for New York being the most "tolerant" city in the world.

I knew that this happened routinely to Ewing in college.Coach Thompson forfeited at least one game when he walked his team off the court when school officials, refs,etc would NOT or could NOT get some racist signs removed from the facility...

Older guy who worked as a security guard at the school I went to told me this story. Ewing's sister was a grad student there...Georgetown comes in to play..his sister had to watch her fellow students and probably people that she went to class with yell all sorts of racist stuff, throw things at, and hold up racist signs directed at the Hoyas and her brother. There was a small feature about her in the school newspaper a few days before the game.

Reporters saw all of this stuff happen to Ewing during his college career as the Hoyas were a high profile team....but almost unanimously they chose not to write about it.

This is the first I'm reading about it happening at MSG, but nothing surprises me when it comes to racism.